Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Oct 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2973123)   #51
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Looks like a good indication of the folly of having to wave a yellow flag at every post while the SC car is out - you have nothing left to indicate marshals still working on the track.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2973141)   #52
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that I saw a second yellow out during SC at one point - not sure whether it was that specific incident though.

I wonder whether I'd justify a white flag whilst lumbering along the tarmac? Certainly need a slippery surface flag if the cars got too close to me at speed
Old 18 Oct 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2973154)   #53
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
I thought that I saw a second yellow out during SC at one point - not sure whether it was that specific incident though.
I'm glad you said that, because I was pretty sure I'd seen a double yellow at Woodcote too.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2973191)   #54
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post

I wonder whether I'd justify a white flag whilst lumbering along the tarmac? Certainly need a slippery surface flag if the cars got too close to me at speed
and a hazard board perhaps?
Old 19 Oct 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2973805)   #55
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Looks like a good indication of the folly of having to wave a yellow flag at every post while the SC car is out - you have nothing left to indicate marshals still working on the track.
100% in agreement on that one.

However, given the meaning of waved yellow, I would expect the driver's to drive appropriately anyway, the ability to give them additional information would be a bonus.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2973843)   #56
tobesvw
Rookie

England
Stony Stratford
tobesvw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sunday saw one of my first 'proper' incidents as a marshall when one of the Ginettas was dumped into the pit wall just after the start. What I couldn't believe when trying to clear up the oil etc was that another marshall had to stand virtually in the middle of the track gesticulating for all of the cars still running (behind the safety car) to move over to the left hand side of the track to avoid the marshals etc! You'd have thought that it would be reasonably obvious that avoiding people/flatbed trucks/tractors would be a good thing to do...

Still, a good weekend overall. I was glad to have something to do and something to learn from (I've had precious few incidents as a trainee so far). Apologies to all the marshals with me when I didn't get the cement down with the proper technique!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2973908)   #57
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobesvw View Post
What I couldn't believe when trying to clear up the oil etc was that another marshall had to stand virtually in the middle of the track gesticulating for all of the cars...
We noticed that on the big screen from our post. The gist of what was said is that it was hardly necessary. Having said that, I've done similar, albeit in circumstances where there was less advance visibility.