Alinco 0 0%
Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Mar 2003, 13:07 (Ref:524447)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scanner Frequencies

Can anyone tell me what frequency I need when at the following Circuits please?

1: Donington
2: Mallory Park
3: Silverstone
4: Rockingham
I thought that there was only the one frequency (169.3357) but this seems not to apply at some tracks - any info would be appreciated

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 4 Mar 2003 at 13:08.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 15:52 (Ref:524568)   #2
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is that only Donington, for Air Traffic Control reasons, is not on the RAC frequency.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 16:01 (Ref:524575)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.marshalspost.com/display_circuit.php says:

Quote:
donington have possibly three;
166.7625 main one
169.0125 ch 2
169.3375 ch 3

Mallory Most use MSA

Rockingham most clubs use normal msa 169.3375 but with tone lock
I think you may have a typo in the freq you quote. It is probably 169.3375MHz.

Several circuits (clubs or organisers) use the PMR sets now. Better than CB but still a bit of a worry. VSCC and Hagley and District LCC are two examples of this.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 4 Mar 2003 at 16:03.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 16:05 (Ref:524578)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Silverstone: loads of frequencies for here but depends on level of meeting;

165.1625 main e.s.
169.8375 pits
169.2125 paddock
169.0625 e.s. 2
plus various other for yellow/ blue flags etc.

I forgot about Silverstone.

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 4 Mar 2003 at 16:05.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 23:33 (Ref:528270)   #5
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory uses MSA (169.3375), Rockingham same but tone locked (I think code is 77?), Silverstone also has MSA freq registered but only use it when multi circuits in use and even then its tone locked. That means your scanner will still hear but anyone with a non tone locked tranceiver wont be able to interupt.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 14:13 (Ref:578058)   #6
kevf
Rookie

kevf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanners?

marshals one and all need some advice, looking to buy a scanner what sort of frequency do i need for most circuits? Will an air band one do?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 17:13 (Ref:578279)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The standard motorsport frequency is 169.3375MHz FM, but some circuits use different frequencies. Airband scanners will cover the required frequency range.

We have two scanners, an Icom IC-R2 (around £160) & a Maycom AR-108 (£70).

We had a lot of problems with the Icom - it struggled to receive broadcasts with low signal strength, so often you'd only hear one side of a conversation. After twice being returned to the suppliers, the second time with a detailed description of the locations & frequencies it was required for, a different antenna was supplied, which cured the problem; a side-by-side comparison with two identical units showed that the signal strength with the new antenna is up to five times the level seen with the standard antenna. For anyone having this problem with an Icom using the standard antenna, the one that works is part number FA-S57V. The Maycom has given no problems.

Ignoring a lot of features which are not needed for the job in hand, the biggest difference between the two scanners is that the Icom has an auto squelch setting, the Maycom has only manual squelch - not a big problem. In case you don't know, squelch sets a signal level threshold to eliminate the annoying white noise which would otherwise be heard when no local signal is being recieved.

£90 extra for, in this context, nothing more than auto squelch, & poor performance with the standard antenna, makes the Icom look poor value. The only little niggle I've got with the Maycom is that the volume & squelch controls are concentric & rather fiddly, which makes it easy to accidentally change the squelch setting when adjusting the volume; otherwise, highly recommended.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 23 Apr 2003 at 17:16.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 17:50 (Ref:578324)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting topic...

I took my scanner to Mondello with me last weekend with the idea of listening in to the pit to car radio, marshals and safety car freqs. Never really achieved very much as no-one either knew, or would tell me, where I should be looking to scan

So - to make it a little more interesting next time can anyone offer any suggestions for interesting freqs at different circuits? I'll be taking it to Brands in a couple of weeks so any pit to car radios for BTCC, CART or other series would also be interesting!

If I get back into it I will be looking to replace and update my current scanner with something a little more modern and a little smaller, so any suggestions on that front?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:578455)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I can't give you much help on frequencies used by teams, etc., Craig - without that information, it's impossible to recommend a scanner. For the circuit frequencies, either of the scanners we've got is OK - most circuits use 169.3375MHz, marshalspost.com has information on other frequencies used. For scanning multiple frequencies the Icom, despite the antenna problems, is probably better, as it has much more sophisticated programmability - but then, at twice the price, it should have! It also has wider frequency range coverage.

As to size, both our scanners are around 90 x 60 x 35.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:24 (Ref:578462)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the cheapest one you can get?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:26 (Ref:578466)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's fair enough Dave. I will endeavour to acquire some info on teams from my spies...

Cheers
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:27 (Ref:578468)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
PS Any suggestions for 'sniffers' to seek out local broadcasts?? Something cheap along this line would be awesome if anyone knows of such a thing?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:31 (Ref:578476)   #13
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use the Icom ir-r2, and I too had problems picking up anybody but the immediate posts.

The reason is that the ic-r2 has such a wide frequency range that the antenna you get with it is 'jack of all trades and master of none' and not very good at it. BUT you can get a banded antenna for VHF as all circuits use the 160 - 170 band (i forget the exact freqs) I paid £5 for the antenna but I did need a converter from the screw in type to a standard BNC.

Now I can get every post on the circuit.

What I like about the ic-r2 is the size, it's not much bigger than a normal radio and does'nt get in the way, and maplins sell them for about £80 so I can't argue with that...
Old 23 Apr 2003, 19:34 (Ref:578478)   #14
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh by the way the use of scanners at some circuits is frowned upon.

Personaly I think they are a necessity for flags and observers but they are a hazard for incident.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 20:00 (Ref:578516)   #15
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by scorch
Oh by the way the use of scanners at some circuits is frowned upon.

Personaly I think they are a necessity for flags and observers but they are a hazard for incident.
At all the bike meetings I have marshalled at if there is a flag position at some distance from the central observation point a scanner is supplied to the flag marshal by the organising club.

Old 23 Apr 2003, 20:06 (Ref:578528)   #16
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by scorch
What I like about the ic-r2 is the size, it's not much bigger than a normal radio and does'nt get in the way, and maplins sell them for about £80 so I can't argue with that...
I paid £150 for mine, at Maplins, in September 01. Maplins' website now doesn't list the IC-R2 but those that do quote a price around £140/150.

The IC-R2 is no longer in production and has been replaced by the IC-R5.

Old 24 Apr 2003, 02:05 (Ref:578912)   #17
ALFA ALFA
Rookie

ALFA ALFA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For CART freqs go to
www.motorsports.thepaddock.com
and click on scanner frequencies
this is a free site and they list
a lot o scanner freq in the US and
some F1
Old 24 Apr 2003, 10:14 (Ref:579218)   #18
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use a Scanner for when I'm flagging. I've got a GRE PSR-216 which cost £120 from my local CB shop.
i recommend any flaggie to get a scanner as it's invaluble at times, especially if you are the only flaggie on post. You can look in both directions at once so the scanner can fill you in for black/yellow and reds too.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 10:18 (Ref:579221)   #19
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Interesting topic...

I took my scanner to Mondello with me last weekend with the idea of listening in to the pit to car radio, marshals and safety car freqs. Never really achieved very much as no-one either knew, or would tell me, where I should be looking to scan

So - to make it a little more interesting next time can anyone offer any suggestions for interesting freqs at different circuits? I'll be taking it to Brands in a couple of weeks so any pit to car radios for BTCC, CART or other series would also be interesting!

If I get back into it I will be looking to replace and update my current scanner with something a little more modern and a little smaller, so any suggestions on that front?
why not look on internet for frequencies in Google search..I have found frequencies for australian tracks on same
Old 24 Apr 2003, 10:23 (Ref:579227)   #20
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by moxeythemarshal
I use a Scanner for when I'm flagging. I've got a GRE PSR-216 which cost £120 from my local CB shop.
i recommend any flaggie to get a scanner as it's invaluble at times, especially if you are the only flaggie on post. You can look in both directions at once so the scanner can fill you in for black/yellow and reds too.
scanners are banned over here for flaggies they tend to lose concentration whilst using them also yrs ago a flaggie heard someone say the magic word (RED) over scanner so threw out red flag..needless to say he got his a.r.s.e kicked
Old 24 Apr 2003, 10:51 (Ref:579242)   #21
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee
[B]The IC-R2 is no longer in production and has been replaced by the IC-R5.
Had a play with an R5 at Bathurst last year and was impressed by it. Couldn't use half the functions it had without reading the manual. Loved the fact it was programable using a PC (especially when I had to program 20 of them for rental purposes).

Aussie teams use UHF (450-510MHz) while tracks use either UHF or VHF (150-165MHz).

BFC is correct about scanners being frowned upon down under but what they haven't realised is that some of the radios issued can be set up to scan multiple channels (instant scanner).

A recent race meeting the compulsary "Safety Briefing" even mentioned the "new" photo taking mobile phones available down 'ere.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 11:27 (Ref:579274)   #22
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use the maycom regularly to aid flagging unless I'm going to the dark world of castle combe.. it works well and is a good small size fits in a small chest pocket... Maplin sell them and some even cheaper scanners.. but those are larger.. maybe worth checking out the maplin website
Old 24 Apr 2003, 11:58 (Ref:579295)   #23
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard the apocryphal story of the red flag so many times. I've also seen flaggers pickup the red flag by mistake. So to justify the banning of scanners on that basis doesn't hold much validity for me. As a flagger it can prove invaluable. Not just to warn of impending problems but simply to find out the reason for lengthy delays. Race Control always seems reluctant to pass on information. I know these senior officials can be busy but at most meetings they seem to be overflowing with them. Just look at the number of cars circulating between practices and races!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 12:48 (Ref:579357)   #24
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
That's fair enough Dave. I will endeavour to acquire some info on teams from my spies...

Cheers
I have a personal email address of one of the current BTCC Vauxhall drivers, so I will try to find out what their frequency is!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 13:36 (Ref:579408)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
[QUOTE]Originally posted by observer
I have a personal email address of one of the current BTCC Vauxhall drivers, so I will try to find out what their frequency is!
[/QUOT

I have had a reply from Paul O'Neil of Vauxhall BTCC regarding pit - car radio frequencies........

Alright there fella.

I have not got a clue mate. Sorry. I don't think they would give it to me either because we talk set ups and other things we dont want teams to know
about.

I will ask my spark at thruxton and seee what he says

Paul

Sent: 24 April 2003 13:58
To: Paul O'neill (E-mail)
Subject: Can you help
Importance: High
E]