Old 26 Aug 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3846271)   #51
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Ah yes, Brundle has to point out what an amazing car the Ferrari is... Rather than just admitting Hamilton got mugged and Vettel is the better driver on the day.
I think you will find Vettel was just lucky it was dry.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3846272)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ah yes, Brundle has to point out what an amazing car the Ferrari is... Rather than just admitting Hamilton got mugged and Vettel is the better driver on the day.
I was watching the race on Ch 4, so didn't hear what Brundle said. The Ferrari is a good car and was faster on the day, however Ferrari/Vettel got their strategy right with the pitstop, something they haven't always done in the past and it has cost them.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3846281)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Apparently you didn't actually hear what he said. He claimed Hamilton did not win because Ferrari were unbeatable today.
Maybe it was?!

Vettel executed the move perfectly. Exactly as Brundle predicted before the start.

Sorry, I just don't find bad things in everything someone says. Or is it just typical that someone picks on Brundle again.

Old 26 Aug 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3846290)   #54
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Seems to me Hamilton realised he wasn't going to get near Vettel after the pitstop and conceded defeat towards the end.
Should be the same at Monza next Sunday..
As with Singapore, he could see his points advantage sliding away...
All good for the Championship!
Max, Sergio and Esteban shone for me...took good advantage of Kimi and Daniel woes.
Am I the only one on here that does not not rate Hulkenberg? Rookie mistake..
Old 26 Aug 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3846297)   #55
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I rate Hulk, but that was a bad error. There was margin for a little mistake, or even a big mistake. That was a massive mistake.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:01 (Ref:3846306)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Grid penalty coming for The Hulk...
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3846311)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Grid penalty coming for The Hulk...
10 seconds to be enforced at Monza.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3846313)   #58
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Awful sport, might as well just call it a parade rather than race
It's not compulsory to watch.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3846314)   #59
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I rate Hulk, but that was a bad error. There was margin for a little mistake, or even a big mistake. That was a massive mistake.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3846328)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
It's not compulsory to watch.
True, it's not compulsory to watch but if you follow motorsport and are looking forward to watching the pinnacle of motorsport, race at one of the iconic race tracks and you get a race like today's, it's very disappointing.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3846330)   #61
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It reminded me of an F1 race.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3846331)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched, I dozed, I watched a bit more then I'm afraid I was gone to the land of nod. Disappointing? Man how we needed that rain......
Old 26 Aug 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3846340)   #63
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
I think you will find Vettel was just lucky it was dry.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3846358)   #64
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Lewis gave up and is now feeling depressed....

"They just blitzed us. Minus seven points in the next eight races is going to be a lot points.

“I hope that's not the case but if we do continue to have the lack of pace that we lacked today then we will continue to be minus seven points."
Old 26 Aug 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3846391)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Lewis gave up and is now feeling depressed....

"They just blitzed us. Minus seven points in the next eight races is going to be a lot points.

“I hope that's not the case but if we do continue to have the lack of pace that we lacked today then we will continue to be minus seven points."
It's just a message to Toto......
Old 26 Aug 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3846395)   #66
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
red bull need to put the torro rosso paint scheme on their main cars anf give STR their colours. The STR cars are wayyyy better looking. Gorgeous.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 03:58 (Ref:3846447)   #67
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It reminded me of an F1 race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I watched, I dozed, I watched a bit more then I'm afraid I was gone to the land of nod. Disappointing? Man how we needed that rain......
Old 27 Aug 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3846459)   #68
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton is the best driver on the grid right now but his over-emotional reactions to everything make it very hard to respect that.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3846467)   #69
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do we need DRS at Spa?
I think not looking at the ease with which we saw some of the overtakes along the Kemmel straight.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3846469)   #70
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Hamilton is the best driver on the grid right now but his over-emotional reactions to everything make it very hard to respect that.
They can't (and shouldn't) all be Räikkönens........
Old 27 Aug 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3846477)   #71
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Vettel really took it to Hamilton this weekend. And good drive by Max too, but yet more bad luck for Danny. There's always one Red Bull in trouble it seems.

Great result for Force India, would have been interesting to see Ocon take the lead on the first lap. Still a big gap between the big three and the rest.

And what are the stewards doing punishing Bottas? He ruined his own race, he didn't ruin Sirotkin's. It's gone too far now

Big crash at the start, glad both Fred and Leclerc are ok
Old 27 Aug 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3846481)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Vettel beat Hamilton fair and square and I don't think anyone was surprised to see him drag past Hamilton after Eau Rouge on the opening lap. After that, without rain to give us another Hockenheim gaff, it was all over. Ferrari do seem to have a clear speed advantage in the dry. The shame was that Räikkönen wasn't able to keep his team leader honest, as I firmly believe he could have beaten Vettel yesterday - if allowed to, of course. Hamilton and Mercedes must be praying for rain at the next few races.....
Old 27 Aug 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3846553)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
was anyone else surprised at the type of damage on Alonso's car?

the side opened up like a tin can...it looked like it was made more out of aluminium rather than some sort of carbon fiber composite.

hopefully someone will be able to point out other incidents with similar types of damage but for the time being i feel like something does not look normal here.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3846558)   #74
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

the side opened up like a tin can...it looked like it was made more out of aluminium rather than some sort of carbon fiber composite.

hopefully someone will be able to point out other incidents with similar types of damage but for the time being i feel like something does not look normal here.
There's a lot of cooling going on in the sidepods, for which there's a lot of thin foil-type insulation installed. They're not over-engineered as they generally don't make contact at speed with anything heavy or strong, and the teams try to keep the centre of mass close to the centre line of the car. In Alonso's case he hit the crash structure and gearbox at the back of Leclerc's car sideways at quite some speed, so it did indeed open up like a tin (that's a very good analogy). I think the worst part would have been the launch imparted by the rear wheels on Leclerc's car, still rotating, as Alonso's car arrived. We've seen similar before in endless nose-over-rear-wheel incidents like Webber's in Valencia and numerous I've seen in lower series, in some cases up close and rather too personal!

The tub sits within the sidepods - or more accurately, the tub sits on the floor, and the sidepods attach to both. I'm not surprised a sidepod in contact with the rear end a car getting suddenly accelerated over the top of said car would open up like a tin of sardines.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3846561)   #75
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

Not trying to be a contrarian here, but no, I am not surprised.

The side impact structure uses crushable carbon tubes that work similar to the nose crash structure. These crush in a controlled way and decelerates the car. I think the main monocoque is meant to provide intrusion prevention. These are located perpendicular to the front/rear axis and are inline with the drivers torso (I think).

In the image below, you can see two of these tubes. One up high (with something green wrapped around it) and one down low.

Here is some info from FIA on how they work...
https://www.fiafoundation.org/our-wo...act-protection

Otherwise, I assume the sidepods likely has just barely enough physical structure to hold the radiators, etc. in place and the bodywork is likely as thin as they can get away with. It's all about weight reduction.

For Alonso's car, I think most of the damage seemed to happen behind where I think the side impact tubes are located, so they didn't come into play. And I think that is OK for that type of accident (probably a relatively low g-impact.) Also... just like the tubes are supposed to be destroyed, it we didn't see damage to the side it would be a concern, because it if survived relatively unscathed, then it means the energy has to go into some thing deformable... like the driver. Same reason why people should not believe in the theory that older road cars are safer because they come through crashes relatively unscathed. Again, it is the occupants that take the beating instead.

Richard