Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2004, 09:41 (Ref:894612)   #1
Wobby
Rookie

Wobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is Wilson?

Having been deemed to have upset some Webber supporters in my previous thread, apologies if you read the title and question wrong and I caused offence...

MHO is that Webber has talked down and heavily criticised his previous team mates when, especially where Wilson is concerned this came down to hard cash rather than ability. That is not to say I am slating Webbers driving ability or his position as No 1 at Jag!

That aside, my true question is, has Wilson become another F1 driver thrown to the side due to insufficient funds or has he managed to find another drive elsewhere this season?

Not knowing where he may be heading, I’m unsure if this is the right place to post?

Wob
Old 5 Mar 2004, 09:44 (Ref:894619)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to 10 Tenths!

Yes, is the answer to the first question and No is the answer to the 2nd.

I believe CART has been mentioned as an option, but how realistic that is who know's?

ST
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:21 (Ref:894659)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I beleive that Wilson has the talent to be in F1, although i am unsure of his ultimate potential.

Of course the new third driver testing rules haven't helped him at all. He could well have been at least on the GP tracks through the year, keeping himself infront of the team bosses.

(as for the other thread, my point then was that it wouldn't be a thread about Wilson if the main part is a negative about Webber - as we saw. It remains to be seen if this one can be either ).
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:45 (Ref:894694)   #4
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Wilson definately had all the makings of a good driver. No shortage of courage and no obvious deficits. me personally, I'd place him into BAR ahead of Davidson.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:52 (Ref:894707)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ChampCars doesn't start until the end of April this season, so he does have time to put a pakcage together. Team Rahal is one possibility, as is Rocketsports.

It's a great shame that he's out of F1. His F3000 season showed his potential, and he did well at Minardi. I've seen nothing from Klien to make him seem as impressive a prospect. Maybe Justin will get another go.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 11:27 (Ref:894772)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So when can shareholders in Justin Wilson PLC expect a return?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Mar 2004, 22:15 (Ref:895348)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The shareholders knew it was a risky investment and I don't believe anyone putting money in expected a guaranteed return - and certainly not a quick return.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:00 (Ref:895884)   #8
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by golem
I think Wilson definately had all the makings of a good driver. No shortage of courage and no obvious deficits. me personally, I'd place him into BAR ahead of Davidson.
Shows how much you know then doesn't it mate!

Wilson's had his go a full year in two teams and failed...Davidson had just 2 races in a car hed never driven and gave the team an instant set up with his skill and experience! as he's done for BAR in Melbourne.

Wilson was a TKM kart, Formula Vauxhall, Palmer Audi,and a second F3000 season driver...Davidson was top British kart cham twice, ex pro International karting winner, Formula Ford World Cup winner (in the slowest chassis/engine combo), and Sato's main rival (in his rookie F3 year)...beating all the experienced International F3 champions to the FIA F3 Euro series at his first attempt.

Davidson is the only British driver with a CV to match Button's!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:25 (Ref:895919)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think most people here would rate Wilson higher.

Wilson won the second-biggest series in Europe, Davidson finished second in the third-biggest (if that).

Wilson did 16 races and only crashed once (which wasn't his fault), Davidson did two races and crashed in both.

They've both been teamed with Webber, but when Justin faced him, he had an extra year of experience and was already settled in as the team's man for the future. And their respective results were still similar.

There's a big difference between 'a full year in two teams' and two half-years, one in an underfunded team, the other in a team who gave him 75% of a chance, if that. And I hardly think Justin failed considering that the team only replaced him for sponsorship reasons.

Minardi had a choice for 2003 - Davidson would've been easier to fit into the car, and they had first hand evidence of him - yet who did they go for?
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:33 (Ref:895928)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Minardi had a choice for 2003 - Davidson would've been easier to fit into the car, and they had first hand evidence of him - yet who did they go for?

Maybe Davidson didn't want to pay for a drive like he's stated recently and in the past IIRC. A good way to go about things if you ask me.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:43 (Ref:895940)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Maybe what he means is that he's got no budget to pay for a drive, and wants to put a spin on it to make him look self-righteous and moral. Justin went to innovative and courageous efforts to get funding, Davidson sat and complained.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:57 (Ref:895952)   #12
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I think most people here would rate Wilson higher.

Wilson won the second-biggest series in Europe, Davidson finished second in the third-biggest (if that).

Wilson did 16 races and only crashed once (which wasn't his fault), Davidson did two races and crashed in both.

They've both been teamed with Webber, but when Justin faced him, he had an extra year of experience and was already settled in as the team's man for the future. And their respective results were still similar.

There's a big difference between 'a full year in two teams' and two half-years, one in an underfunded team, the other in a team who gave him 75% of a chance, if that. And I hardly think Justin failed considering that the team only replaced him for sponsorship reasons.

He didn't crash at all actually...he ran wide...over the exit kerb into the gravel. (No damage to the car) He was overdriving knowing he only had 2 races to make his point!..He did after all set the 14th fastest lap of the race in Hungary and at Spa the power steering failed, Michelin cars are heavy to drive as Wilson found out in his first race too (HANS device excuse if I recall)

F3 is considered by most to be a better technical class for a graduate F1 driver.

As regards Minardis choice, I can assure you they wanted him to stay, it was a straight money issue. I was told Stoddart rated Anthony higher as it happens.

To F1 teams the sign of a driver with potential is one who can adapt to a new circuit in 10 laps...That's one of his strengths. eg. as junior TKM Open champion he won the Reed valve 'Junior Britain' (that was the the premier RACMSA British Championship class) Noone wins that in their first season...he did! He also won the new JICA class in the same year!(beating Button in both classes and he was good)...Moved to Europe 135 of the world's best inc Button, Kimi etc etc...won more finals than any other driver in the championship.

Same thing...when he took on Formula Ford won his first six races from pole (wet or dry)...Then the Zetec Winter Series...the 1600cc 'Kent' class at the Festival by 14 seconds over the exsisting champion! Then won the Zetec World Cup against the mighty works Van diemans (ask Johnathon Lewis) Then into F3 8 straight wins over all the more experienced guys!...his pole and win a the PAU street race was typical...never seen the place before!...(ring up Trevor Carlin ask him it was pure Senna stuff!)

History lesson over...Who's car set-up was adapoted on the Friday practice at Hungary by Minardi...Anthony was fastest on the Friday...also who's set up work at Melbourne?...JB used Ants chassis to great effect...did he not!

Boots these two are chalk and cheese mate! It's money that talks don't be fooled...I'm gagged from saying some amazing truths about F1 deals that didn't happen!

Last edited by Rennen; 6 Mar 2004 at 14:04.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 14:35 (Ref:895966)   #13
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
PS: Boots...At the Monza tyre test before last years GP...Anthony was pointing out Wilson's various errors to me at differant points of the circuit...they are world's apart as F1 drivers.

Ant's technical and IT systems knowledge, together with his ability to pass it on (and apply it) is his importance to the team at this moment in time.

Yep race seats are very very rare these days and will only go to new boys with the most Sponsorship. However Anthony is a paid professional in F1 (Wilsons turn to be "sitting on his sofa") Anthony has built up an excellent working relationship over the years with BAR and Honda engineers. I hav'nt seen them wanting to replace him with Wilson or Wirdheim for that matter...sadly for us a really gritty hard racer is currently driving in 'test mode' not 'race mode'

What I would like to see is the small teams gone...and a return to big teams running 3 or 4 good cars for us to watch and for new drivers to learn from leaders in the team as they used to do!

Last edited by Rennen; 6 Mar 2004 at 14:39.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:16 (Ref:895992)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rennen
Shows how much you know then doesn't it mate!

Wilson's had his go a full year in two teams and failed...
I'd hardly call Wilsons time at Minardi a failure!

He excited everyone, with his amazingly fast start's, often finding himself close, if not in, the top 10, after the first lap. He brought some badly needed attention to a team that usually got none.

He obviously did something right at his time at Minardi, or else he wouldn't have gotten the Jag ride, which is another story...

He is now looking for a ride in Champ Cars, although that series is in big trouble...
Old 6 Mar 2004, 22:14 (Ref:896289)   #15
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Anyway stop winding me up you lot...You know very well hed be as much use to them on a Friday as a chocolate exhaust pipe!

Last edited by Rennen; 6 Mar 2004 at 22:15.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 23:37 (Ref:896351)   #16
Rindt
Rookie

Rindt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one was very impressed with Anthony's performance in both Hungary and Spa. A shame he didn't finish, but it's also a shame not to look any further than that. He was seriously quick in a difficult car which he didn't know on tracks he wasnt terribly experienced at. On saturday Button was full of praise for Anthony, him setting up the car and all. On a longterm drivers point of view, BAR has one of the best lineups out there with Button, Sato and Anthony. I can imagine Anthony stepping in as Button leaves for Williams (of that ever happens). BAR would be foolish to let Ant go and race for another F1team.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 00:05 (Ref:896370)   #17
jackaroo
Rookie

jackaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why argue over these two drivers when there has been loads of better drivers recently who havn't even had the opportunity. At least they have had an opportunity.