Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Jan 2003, 19:15 (Ref:488607)   #1
Bob C.
Rookie

Bob C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news for fans of racing-genre movies

Le Mans on DVD. April 29. Finally.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...AN=97363770145

Amazon still hasn't placed a release date on their site, but hopefully B&N's info is correct.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 19:25 (Ref:488615)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is the best news I have heard for months, lets hope it comes out here in the UK soon
Old 28 Jan 2003, 19:46 (Ref:488633)   #3
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
THANK YOU!!!

I was waiting for this moment, the ONLY reason to have a DVD player.

April 29th, eh?... I'll be counting the days.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 20:46 (Ref:488662)   #4
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Are there any extras on DVD? Maybe a making off , cuttet scenes or something like that?

If not , my VHS Copy is enough
Old 28 Jan 2003, 21:27 (Ref:488698)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely not. You won't have proper sound, for one - and the dialogue on the Mulsanne straight requires a good sound system and playback system. (wonder if they'll remaster it into dolby?)

I'm sure they'll announce the extras as we get closer to release date.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 Jan 2003, 21:45 (Ref:488708)   #6
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Surely not. You won't have proper sound, for one - and the dialogue on the Mulsanne straight requires a good sound system and playback system. (wonder if they'll remaster it into dolby?)

I'm sure they'll announce the extras as we get closer to release date.
if the Sound is Dolby Digital , i´ll buy it.

If not , its not worth it imo.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 21:57 (Ref:488714)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yipee!
Old 28 Jan 2003, 21:58 (Ref:488715)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Bob C. I've got an old VHS copy I dubbed from a rental and it is failing on me.
Never forget #99
Old 29 Jan 2003, 04:21 (Ref:489022)   #9
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FINALLY, I think half of the racing fan's prayer have been answered....
Old 29 Jan 2003, 06:21 (Ref:489059)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Hourra !!!!

I have the TV copy that FG gave to me, with some cuts in the movie... t'was very good to see the movie at the end, but I'm waiting for the entire film !
Old 29 Jan 2003, 07:03 (Ref:489079)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Is there any word on its release in Europe as US DVD's wont play on European players - or does anyone know a way round it?
Old 29 Jan 2003, 09:08 (Ref:489145)   #12
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a DVD player that will play both areas.They are not expensive-I have one.It is easy to order movies not released in UK on the net.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 09:55 (Ref:489178)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thank heavens for channel 5 running it one afternoon a year ago...even if they did title it "les mans"!
Old 29 Jan 2003, 13:55 (Ref:489418)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
Get a DVD player that will play both areas.
Many DVD players can have their Region coding turned off. Sometimes it's explicit, sometimes it's hidden (like an easter egg), sometimes it requires a ROM upgrade (which mine, an Apex AD-700, did). Look around the web for Region-free DVD info.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:40 (Ref:489851)   #15
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At long last!!

I've gone through 4 copies in VHS format (and I still watch it at least once a month). DVD is *so* much better.

I just wonder...will there be an "special features", as are so prevalent on DVD releases these days?
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:52 (Ref:489860)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bearing in mind what you read in "A French Kiss with Death", there must be some fantastic footage around which wasn't used in the final film. Would be great if some of that were included.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 29 Jan 2003 at 20:52.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 15:40 (Ref:491959)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by Acid09
if the Sound is Dolby Digital , i´ll buy it.
According to amazon, then, you'll be getting your cash ready come April.

Also, they list it as Zone 1.

I think I heard that McQueen's family controlled the rights to the film (the context was that at either PLM or Sebring last year, the track was denied by them the right to show the film).

If that's the case, you've got to figure that Chad will be trying to make this as tasty a DVD as possible, to protect his father's legacy as a racer - including "the making of" and lots of extra track footage.

-Bill James
Old 31 Jan 2003, 21:45 (Ref:492323)   #18
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Bearing in mind what you read in "A French Kiss with Death", there must be some fantastic footage around which wasn't used in the final film. Would be great if some of that were included.
From the same book there is a reference to a "making of" documentary that was filmed at the same time. Apparently this film really captures the essence of the race. The filmmakers didn't have to worry about cumbersome equipment and unions and the like and were able to move about and film at will with their little 16mm cameras.
I look forward to getting this DVD.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 Jan 2003, 23:25 (Ref:492428)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen the "making of" film with the actual movie intercut -- on the History Channel of all places. It is by far worth seeing. They said that they could not make this movie today because the drivers would not be in it without huge infusions of cash, and the insurance costs would be terrible. What a shame.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 13:40 (Ref:492879)   #20
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I first saw this movie, late night with my Dad. He began to recall stories of the Jaguar years, growing up in Coventry. Shortly after that I saw a picture of the 956's taking the checker flag in the newspaper. I though they were the coolest this I'd ever seen. I began searching the magazine racks looking for information on this type of racing. Thus leading to Autosport. The following year I dragged my Dad out to Mosport to see the great Rothmans Porsche team. Now were both addicts! I'm sure many of you have similar stories. I've heard many drivers say that Steve McQueens movie sparked there interest.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 19:27 (Ref:494021)   #21
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this, but everyone's got to keep emailing them about getting Grand Prix to be released on DVD. You'd think after John Frankenheimer passed away they'd have a re-issue of his stuff.
Old 1 May 2003, 20:57 (Ref:586691)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
...you've got to figure that Chad will be trying to make this as tasty a DVD as possible, to protect his father's legacy as a racer - including "the making of" and lots of extra track footage.
I got that one wrong.

Ah well, at least it's available, now.

-Bill James