Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Nov 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3862927)   #4026
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Yes. It was only coined (officially) shortly after the IRL absorbed the CCWS (whatever year that was). Don't test me, remember....

Now you've got me curious exactly when that was...a new mission I accept....

edit: Voila...."The sanctioning body was formed in 1994 under the name Indy Racing League, and began competition in 1996. The trademark name INDYCAR was officially adopted on January 1, 2011."

I understand your questioning and yes, it's a technicality. Nonetheless whatever form of Indy cars we're talking about it hasn't been "over 30 years" (IndyCar the most recent and has been outside the U.S. since it's inception)
Unification with Champ Car was in 2008. Back in 1992, IMS registered the IndyCar trademark with the United States Patent Office and licensed it to CART, which renamed its championship the IndyCar World Series.

With creation of the IRL, the IndyCar trade mark was subject to a legal battle. CART filed a lawsuit in March 1996, against IMS in order to protect their license to the trademark. In April, IMS filed a countersuit against CART, to prevent them from further use of the trademark. They both reached a settlement, with CART agreeing to give up the IndyCar trademark, after the 1996 season but the IRL could not use it until after the end of the 2002 season. The name IndyCar Series officially adopted beginning in 2003. The sanctioning body is Indy Racing League, LLC , using the trading name IndyCar.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3862941)   #4027
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Agaiun, yer point is?

Seriously, from memory already knowing these things, I was just referencing NuBUru's quoting the governor that stated IndyCar not having raced outside the U.S. in over 30 years.
IndyCar has only been used singly by the IRL. I know they also add a sponsors name to the series but no other time could one punch up www.indycar.com and come to the series itself except with the IRL. Not with AAA, USAC, or CART...... In general, it (Indy car) was used loosely to tag cars that raced at Indy.

jimclark
Old 13 Nov 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3862982)   #4028
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The important thing is Indycar is going strong on it’s 10th anniversary of reunification
Old 13 Nov 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3862988)   #4029
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The important thing is Indycar is going strong on it’s 10th anniversary of reunification
Oh. I wasn't aware.

'Ever catch a look at the number of empty seats outnumbering the occupied ones when, on those rare occasions (like NASCAR coverage), they accidentally let a shot of the stands slip through....? 'Didn't think so.

They haven't filled the grandstands since the CART days. Not even Indy on it's hundredth and that always used to sell out.

edit: Reunification? When was/were the previous unification/s? I only remember the one. :grimace:

jimclark
Old 13 Nov 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3863021)   #4030
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Oh. I wasn't aware.

'Ever catch a look at the number of empty seats outnumbering the occupied ones when, on those rare occasions (like NASCAR coverage), they accidentally let a shot of the stands slip through....? 'Didn't think so.

They haven't filled the grandstands since the CART days. Not even Indy on it's hundredth and that always used to sell out.

edit: Reunification? When was/were the previous unification/s? I only remember the one. :grimace:
By that logic NASCAR is much worse off. And even in the "heyday" of NASCAR you could get 1000s of free tickets to Bristol and Martinsville both for weeks ahead of time with all kinds of radio and other giveaways. Indy has fields that hit close to their track limited capacity and have teams signing up each season. That to me would be the measure of success after having car counts in the teens for consistent numbers of events in the not too distant past.

And reunification does NOT mean a second unification, it's a coming together after conflict or disagreement generally. In this case teams being pushed out and arguments over who had the rights to what would seem to qualify. But vocabulary can be hard.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3863038)   #4031
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
While I understand your overall point, this statement is inaccurate...

http://www.espn.com/racing/indycar/s...-total-sellout
Quote:
Ticket sales cut off as 100th Indianapolis 500 is total sellout
And here's a photo of the crowd filling the grounds.

https://fox59.com/2016/06/07/photo-s...00th-indy-500/
Old 13 Nov 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3863046)   #4032
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agaiun, yer point is?

Seriously, from memory already knowing these things, I was just referencing NuBUru's quoting the governor that stated IndyCar not having raced outside the U.S. in over 30 years.
IndyCar has only been used singly by the IRL. I know they also add a sponsors name to the series but no other time could one punch up www.indycar.com and come to the series itself except with the IRL. Not with AAA, USAC, or CART...... In general, it (Indy car) was used loosely to tag cars that raced at Indy.
No point, just adding to what you said. Some people here on the IndyCar forum, may not know about the ramifications, that followed the Split.

I went to the 100th running of the 500 and it was rammed.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3863060)   #4033
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

What an awesome picture!
Old 13 Nov 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3863086)   #4034
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:

That picture is wicked. Desktop background material for sure! I've been looking at this for 10 minutes solid.

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 13 Nov 2018 at 17:46.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3863088)   #4035
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That is a superb photo, thanks for posting.

Old 13 Nov 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3863133)   #4036
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I may be one of the few golfers here, but seeing it from space makes me want to play that course even more!
Old 13 Nov 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3863141)   #4037
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks! Great picture
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:25 (Ref:3863199)   #4038
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:

I can't argue what I see in the article but I remember claims of 400,000 in attendance back in the CART days so I still have to wonder. Have they lowered the seat count like Daytona or allowing less into the infield, making for easier "sellout", and again, for the all so special 100th? (Which I agree is special...that's a long time....Le Mans is closing in too....)
Also, and importantly, I hold not much credence in the article as a very major blunder concerns me....ABC's live coverage since 1965???

"With the event declared a total sellout, the local blackout on the live broadcast of the race will be lifted for the first time since ABC began live coverage in 1965.

Uh-uh. Not so. '66-69 I saw it live via closed circuit in RKO theatres. Before and after that it was days later on Wide World of Sports, followed by same day tape delay to prime time. It was the mid eighties ('85 or '86 I'm sure, as I was racing r/c cars on Sundays '82-84 and had no worries about missing it due to the delay) that it went live.

Edit: Found this:
"From 1986 through 2018, ABC televised the race live in its entirety. However, at the request of the Speedway, Indianapolis affiliate WRTV was required to blackout the live broadcast and carry it on tape delay in prime time to encourage local race attendance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No point, just adding to what you said. Some people here on the IndyCar forum, may not know about the ramifications, that followed the Split.
You don't know me by now? I understand that as I do know you. 'T'was a rhetorical question....'just busting your ba**s.

btw, is "rammed" akin to our "crammed" or just a typo?

Last edited by jimclark; 14 Nov 2018 at 00:49.

jimclark
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:45 (Ref:3863202)   #4039
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I can't argue what I see in the article but I remember claims of 400,000 in attendance back in the CART days so I still have to wonder. Have they lowered the seat count like Daytona or allowing less into the infield, making for easier "sellout", and again, for the all so special 100th? (Which I agree is special...that's a long time....Le Mans is closing in too....)
Also, and importantly, I hold not much credence in the article as a very major blunder concerns me....ABC's live coverage since 1965???

"With the event declared a total sellout, the local blackout on the live broadcast of the race will be lifted for the first time since ABC began live coverage in 1965.

Uh-uh. Not so. '66-69 I saw it live via closed circuit in RKO theatres. Before and after that it was days later on Wide World of Sports, followed by same day tape delay to primetime) It was the mid eighties ('85 or '86 I'm sure, as I was racing r/c cars on Sundays '82-84 and had no worries about missing it due to the delay) that it went live.

"From 1986 through 2018, ABC televised the race live in its entirety. However, at the request of the Speedway, Indianapolis affiliate WRTV was required to blackout the live broadcast and carry it on tape delay in prime time to encourage local race attendance."

You don't know me by now? I understand that as I do know you. 'T'was a rhetorical question....'just busting your ba**s.

btw, is "rammed" akin to our "crammed" or just a typo?
I know it was rhetorical, I just don't always play a long. Rammed is akin to our crammed, one of those descriptive English expressions I've picked up.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 02:48 (Ref:3863208)   #4040
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

Uh-uh. Not so. '66-69 I saw it live via closed circuit in RKO theatres. Before and after that it was days later on Wide World of Sports, followed by same day tape delay to prime time. It was the mid eighties ('85 or '86 I'm sure, as I was racing r/c cars on Sundays '82-84 and had no worries about missing it due to the delay) that it went live.

I've heard the claims of 400k, too. Pretty sure the turn 1 through 4 or 5 complex for the road course (infield of T4 of the speedway) reduced the potential capacity of the infield, but I didn't an article to know the place was pretty much packed for the 100th - I saw that it was on my color television set.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3863340)   #4041
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Jordan King gets 3rd RLL seat for the 500.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140041
Old 14 Nov 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3863341)   #4042
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully a part season under his belt will have given him enough preparation for this
Old 15 Nov 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3863485)   #4043
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Former Force India team principal Bob Fernley, has been named president of McLaren's IndyCar programme.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140057
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3864343)   #4044
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Theodore Racing looking at Indycars for the future.

Source- http://www.macaubusiness.com/the-sec...-f3-world-cup/
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3864353)   #4045
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Theodore Racing looking at Indycars for the future.

Source- http://www.macaubusiness.com/the-sec...-f3-world-cup/
Teddy Yip, well there's an iconic name.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 23:17 (Ref:3864364)   #4046
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
There have been initial talks about a return to the Gold Coast, in 2020.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140194
Old 20 Nov 2018, 03:46 (Ref:3864403)   #4047
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Maybe McLaren will stay on after Indy and King will drive?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3864489)   #4048
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why that?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3864714)   #4049
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Santino Ferrucci to get full time ride with Dale Coyne in 2019.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/11...acing-for-2019
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3864729)   #4050
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica interview by Graham Bensinger
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...08xqRlhiD3ut8d