Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Dec 2000, 17:57 (Ref:54086)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've just heard the sad news of the death of John Cooper. Nothing else to say really but just let's remember the man who gave us the Mini Cooper and with his father the modern Formula 1 car.
Old 24 Dec 2000, 18:13 (Ref:54093)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just heard the same news myself. John & his father Charles were the first to put the engine in the back of a lightweight car in 1958, winning two GP's that year and 5 the next. They also gave Bruce McLaren his first GP win in the US GP and Jack Brabham a world championship.

He also gave the humble Mini a decent 1275 engine, leading to many class & race wins, plus of course the Italian Job.

A very sad day.

Simon
Old 24 Dec 2000, 18:24 (Ref:54095)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not only a gifted amateur racing driver, but also one of the greatest design innovators we are ever likely to see.

And best of all, John Cooper was, by all accounts a thoroughly decent man. He was well-liked, even amongst his competitors.

My father recalls at the age of six being taken around the Cooper works down in Surbiton, and being sat in one of the cars in the workshop. I never met John Cooper myself, but he's always had a loyal fan base in this household.

My favourite Cooper image? The 1959 US Grand Prix at Sebring. When Cooper cars took the race and the championship, the news television clearly catches John Cooper in the pitlane turning a somersault with excitement.
Old 24 Dec 2000, 19:08 (Ref:54098)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Devastated.

That's the only word I can use to describe how I feel.

John Cooper was a hero to me, not just because of his love of all things Mini, or his prowess as a Grand Prix constructor, or even the fact that I share his surname, but because he was a warm hearted guy who touched all around him with his infectious enthusiasm.

While I never spoke to him, I've seen him at quite a few Mini shows over the years, and you could see the fun he was having spending his time talking to his fans, young and old.

I know that his son Mike will carry on his 'John Cooper Garages' legacy, but it just won't be the same.

He will be very sadly missed.

Old 24 Dec 2000, 19:27 (Ref:54101)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sad news If there is any consolation, it is that he achieved more in his life than should be expected of a mere mortal.

RIP
Old 26 Dec 2000, 20:23 (Ref:54323)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard today that Michael Cooper had got hold of the first BMW-shaped Mini Cooper and taken it round to his dad's house a couple of days ago.

But John wasn't well enough to get up and see it.

I don't know. It would be nice to know that your legacy lives on, but I can't help thinking that John's memory will be cherished by the people who preserve and protect the original cars.

If not for John Cooper, would we ever have heard of Mike Hawthorn, Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren, Timo Makinen, Paddy Hopkirk, Richard Longman, John Aley, Sir John Whitmore...?

Even Sir Stirling's first single-seater was a Cooper.

What a legacy. God bless you, John Cooper.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 06:22 (Ref:75190)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shane Cowham did this drawing for our National Historic Newsletter, which I produce... not a bad tribute:
Attached Thumbnails
cooper.jpg  
Old 3 Apr 2001, 10:28 (Ref:76901)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for that Ray. My compliments to Shane.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 12:04 (Ref:77694)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice one Ray.

Thanks for sharing the image.