Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1124276)   #1
Utopian
Rookie

Utopian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perry McCarthy- Flat Out Flat Broke

Who here has read this book?

A hilarious account of Perry McCarthy's struggle to reach Formula 1, with the year in Formula 1 itself arguably the biggest struggle of all.

"Julian Bailey was with me when I phoned the team and I found their receptionist was as bright as the rest of them.

'Pronto, Andrea Moda Formula,' she said.
'Hello,' I said. 'It's Perry.'
'Perry...Perry who?' came the reply.
'Perry McCarthy,' I answered, patiently.
'What company are your from?'
'I'm not from a company. I'm your bloody racing driver!'"

I definitely recommend a read. Perry has a highly witty turn of phrase adding to the entertainment of his own story.

Last edited by Utopian; 14 Oct 2004 at 13:38.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1124280)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Possibly better in Armchair Enthusiast but I agree with your assessment.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1124319)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is a great book!! Tis soo funny but also highlights the stuggle that drivers can go through!

I'm annoyed cos I had a chance to get a signed copy, but didn't bother and bought it at a later date...doh!
Old 14 Oct 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1124398)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's one of the best books I've read........a nice change to read about someone who didn't get the lucky break he so deserved.

Bloody funny guy, Perry......
Old 14 Oct 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1124555)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What can I say about this book fantastic I and would also recommend it, its well worth the read. Perry is a very funny bloke, I have seen him talking to the punters in the MRI Marquee at Le Mans twice now and its just what you need after 18 hours after on a coach.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1124692)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have yet to read this book but I intend to when I get a minute or so!

Tell me, does Perry tell the tale of Roger Cowman (he of EuroBOSS fame) and himself flogging t-shirts round the marshal's camp site at Donington Park? (I've still got mine!)

Old 14 Oct 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1124700)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perry's great - a truly inspirational character with a great sense of a humour and a real love of racing, despite the days when it treated him badly. FOFB is definitely a book anyone can enjoy, even if Formula 1 isn't an interest.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1124745)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be reading it soon. I ordered Life at The Limit by Prof. Watkins and Perry's book and they arrived today
Old 14 Oct 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1124747)   #9
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
I'll be reading it soon. I ordered Life at The Limit by Prof. Watkins and Perry's book and they arrived today
I've got Life at the Limit - I miss the first chapter because it's so sad.

I've also got a signed copy of "Beyond the Limit" IMO not as good as the first but well worth reading.

Old 15 Oct 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1125079)   #10
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read it; great christmas present for someone if your an on the ball kind of person.

I was never too keen on reading autobiographies until I read this one. I may be a bit of a hacnkneyed phrase but I did laugh throughout.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1125513)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FOFB..........It's a hilarous book!

And it took me longer to read the nige auto-boigraphy (under a month)! because it was so brilliant.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1125573)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Polished off the James Hunt biography by Gerald Donaldson yesterday.........only took three days to read, so must've been good!
Old 17 Oct 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1126836)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny bloke, Perry! He is utterly cracking at times, how can he define all those difficult situations with the humour he does, I do not know...
Old 17 Oct 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1126899)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny because the book follows his more successful life as a Oil Rig painter.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1127194)   #15
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got the Profs books, not got Perry's yet. I will soon though.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1127288)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"FOFB" is a very good read. I read it on a coach to Wales a couple of months ago. Even better, I picked it up in the local Oxfam Bookshop for £2.99........
Old 19 Oct 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1128037)   #17
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I picked it up in the local Oxfam Bookshop for £2.99........
Hey, you can find some pretty good buys in those charity bookshops. I got a mint condition 1993 IndyCar Album (the first IC album Autocourse made, apparantly) for £2 the other month. Some great stuff.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1128137)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Absolutely. Always worth a look, IMO.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1128323)   #19
Utopian
Rookie

Utopian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Perry McCarthy- Flat Out Flat Broke

Quote:
Tell me, does Perry tell the tale of Roger Cowman (he of EuroBOSS fame) and himself flogging t-shirts round the marshal's camp site at Donington Park? (I've still got mine!)
Not sure about that. Which T-shirts were those?

He mentions "Let Pel out!" T-shirts that he managed to make a small fortune on whilst at Andrea Moda.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1187882)   #20
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got his book for christmas, looking forward to reading it soon
Old 25 Dec 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1187886)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your enjoy it, a good read.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1188473)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Its a good'un. Enjoy.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1188513)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An inspiring story, certainly...