Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jun 2001, 02:17 (Ref:104203)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Shootouts

just wondering what people thought of the top 10/15 shootouts ??

I think they are interesting but only at Bathurst ..having them very round is silly and it doesnt make for good TV..the shootout at Canberra was boring except for Radisich of course.

but is this really needed..it takes up valuable track time for other classes and just bores the pants off me (sorry for that visual image )
I like the shootout at Bathurst because that is a tradition and it was only once a year and you looked forward to it..but now you dont because its the same at every other race.

anyone else feel that they should scrap it and leave just for bathurst ??
Old 12 Jun 2001, 04:00 (Ref:104218)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd have to agree with what you said above, but to be honest the Canberra shoot out wasn't too bad. It gives some the blokes a run out in front of the cameras that wouldn't normally get it (McConville, McLean, Ellery etc) and last weekend there were several different strategies in place to warm up their tyres (I think Ellery did an ace job of it). From a TV perspective you get to see some really hot, on the edge laps, which are pretty good.

But as a rule, not at every round please...it just adds to the Cochrane devaluing of Bathurst....
Old 12 Jun 2001, 05:16 (Ref:104229)   #3
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it annoying!! Qualifying is qualifying, and this sort of thing just ruins it - why bother for pole when all you really have to do is make the top ten, THEN do your best?

Still - I have to say it is better than that awful idea they had years ago with the "draw" for the top ten... nothing worse than watching them draw cards with numbers on them - demoralising.

Thumbs down to it all...
Old 12 Jun 2001, 07:47 (Ref:104263)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't suggest that any driver was sandbagging, but with a top 15 shootout, why bother risking the car during session when there is a full field of cars on the track?
Old 12 Jun 2001, 08:02 (Ref:104267)   #5
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the telecast of the Top 15 shoot out incredibly boring on Saturday. Maybe a highlights package would have been better.

I heard there was a 45 minute delay at Canberra due to the Faulkner practise accident for the Saturday program and thought maybe this is why they televised the shoot out in full to fill in time ?
Old 12 Jun 2001, 08:21 (Ref:104275)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For sure Cochrane is trying to drag Bathurst down to the level of everything else and this is just another example of that. I'm very suspicious as to why he is doing this. Having a top 15 is a bit much when there are only 32 cars in the race. On TV, it's OK as a spectacle but trackside, it's dead boring, and it does take up some time which could be devoted to support events. Though of course, Tony doesn't like anybody who puts on a better show than his.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 08:27 (Ref:104277)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with all that. The top ten is only worthwhile if they have the full lap on camera, so you can time segments for yourself, and if it's just ten and if it interferes as little as possible with others getting races.

Remember, it started at Bathurst back about 1978 when there was nothing else on the programme.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:37 (Ref:104327)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Top Ten until 85 was held over 2 runs. As for Cochrane he belives that anything before 97 was garbage end everything since is great. The reson he dose not like Bathurst more than likely is that he is not getting a sqillion dollars for going there. Histroy has no place in Cochranes world of Motorsport
Old 12 Jun 2001, 11:40 (Ref:104360)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Top 10 used to be special because it was once a year and it was a challenge because the drivers had to do it one lap and nothing else. Now they get practice all year and it isn't so much of a challenge, and you won't get surprises getting pole, like with Scott in 86,Johnson in 92 and Lowdnes in 95.

Cochrane is trying to devalue bathurst because he wasn't around when it started. He likes to say that it was him who got the races at Canberra, Adelaide, New Zealand and the Queensland 500, he just wants to make races that he didn't have anything to do with, like Bathurst, Sandown 500, Mallala, Symmons, Wanneroo and so onnot look as good so he can make more money. I think one of the reasons he didn't try harder with the Bathurst Consortium in 1996 is because AVESCO had nothing to do with the organisation and therefore couldn't claim any praise for its success so they made their own race, and people still talk about the mountain and the winners before they think about who ran it, and this angers him i'm sure, because he's not making money.

No matter what he says, the championship will never be bigger than bathurst. The Daytona 500 is bigger than a NASCAR champ, and the Indy 500 is more widely known than the CART or IRL winner.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 12:05 (Ref:104377)   #10
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say that the top 15 shootout in Canberra was quite boring. 15 is too many personally. On top of this, most of the time they waited until the previous came in after its cooldown lap before sending out the next car which just wastes time and makes things boring.