Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Sep 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2962459)   #5326
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Did you consider those who don't consider anything that's not a flat-6 not a 'proper' Porsche?
I'm not in complete agreement.
There are many Porsche fans that consider anything that's not a flat-6 not a "proper 911".The Carrera GT was/is considered by all as a "proper Porsche" and that had a V10.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2962536)   #5327
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Porsche is gonna chose the engine that mechanicly , aerodinamicly best fits the platform.... they couldn't care less about using a flat-6 just because of tradition...
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2962674)   #5328
anthonyvop
Rookie

United States
Miami, Florida
anthonyvop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting news about the Grand-Am Ferrari project

The Grand-Am Ferrari F458 Italia Don't Believe the Hype!
http://www.oversteertv.net/Grand-Am.html
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2962711)   #5329
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
Porsche is gonna chose the engine that mechanicly , aerodinamicly best fits the platform.... they couldn't care less about using a flat-6 just because of tradition...
Even if it doesn't sell as well as the main competitor exactly because the lack of character and tradition?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:32 (Ref:2962726)   #5330
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
with the exception of the carrera gt, porsche has hit every sales target it set itself in the last decade, and carrera gt was built only to pay off the development of the canceled lmp1 project
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2962727)   #5331
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
DP, dam TT needs to change servers

Last edited by arakis; 29 Sep 2011 at 21:40.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 02:42 (Ref:2962788)   #5332
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Sure, that's because they have never produced a Ferrari-expensive yet characterless car with no heritage. In the last few decades everything but the 911 has been either less expensive, or much more practical, or both... plus the Carrera GT which was clearly more exciting with its singing high-reving V10. 'Just another German V8' won't cut it against the 458.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2962844)   #5333
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Sure, that's because they have never produced a Ferrari-expensive yet characterless car with no heritage. In the last few decades everything but the 911 has been either less expensive, or much more practical, or both... plus the Carrera GT which was clearly more exciting with its singing high-reving V10. 'Just another German V8' won't cut it against the 458.
witch current ferrari is expensive yet caracterless?

keep in mind the carrera gt was a enzo competitior witch was sold in 400 examples while the carrera gt sold in 1000+, I think their mark was 1200...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2963068)   #5334
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
witch current ferrari is expensive yet caracterless?

keep in mind the carrera gt was a enzo competitior witch was sold in 400 examples while the carrera gt sold in 1000+, I think their mark was 1200...
You don't seem to get my point. I'm not saying Carrera GT was not a success. I'm saying that to compete with 458 Porsche will need more than just a competitively fast and efficient supercar, ask McLaren Something along the lines of a 4.0 flat six would do the trick.

PS: AFAIK Enzo was bound to be limited to 400.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2964419)   #5335
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Melo did a fantastic job at PLM .
Old 2 Oct 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2964466)   #5336
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
wow, it reeks of sarcasm in here right now.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2964492)   #5337
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
who cares, ferrari just took LMS flawlessly, ILMC most likely and pettit le mans....
Old 3 Oct 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2964622)   #5338
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Melo did a fantastic job at PLM .
So did Fisi (im not being sarcastic btw). Forza AF Corse!

One prancing horse faltered, the other stepped in to fill the breach, what else did you think was going to happen? Great result for the 458 in such a long race.

Congrats to Black Swan for winning the GTC championship, richly deserved.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2964630)   #5339
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Take a look at the competitions thread ..... I bet on AF Corse to win .

Im delighted that they did ..... especially since Bruni was in the car . He is one of my favourite drivers , along with Rob Bell . In my opinion AF Corse are a much more professional team than Risi are , imo .

But Melo isnt very impresseive this year , imo .
Old 3 Oct 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2964653)   #5340
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Did you consider those who don't consider anything that's not a flat-6 not a 'proper' Porsche?
Things change and evolve - there was a time when anything other than a V12 was not a 'proper' Ferrari but there are only a few stick in the mud veteran enthusiasts that still believe that.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2964695)   #5341
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Things change and evolve - there was a time when anything other than a V12 was not a 'proper' Ferrari but there are only a few stick in the mud veteran enthusiasts that still believe that.
Maybe porsch can come in with a flat 12 like they had in the 917
Old 3 Oct 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2964701)   #5342
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flat 12 would be pure orgasm! 5.5l Flat 12? Yes sir!
Old 3 Oct 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2964755)   #5343
The Badger
Veteran

And a 4L Ferrari V12 normally aspirated , ala 333SP . Little bumble bee engine , pure honest ear assault .
Old 3 Oct 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2965221)   #5344
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
And a 4L Ferrari V12 normally aspirated , ala 333SP . Little bumble bee engine , pure honest ear assault .
there goes your Porsche FanClub membership card out the window.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2965250)   #5345
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:

That would be fine with me ..... at least I can say I like this machinery ..... your still slaved to Italian propaganda and general tabloib bull !!!

Are we ever going to finish this crap ?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 06:07 (Ref:2965314)   #5346
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Flat 12 would be pure orgasm! 5.5l Flat 12? Yes sir!
As much as that sounds good for nostalgia's sake its a shame that Porsche dont put the Carrera GT engine in something else because that V10 is one of the finest roadcar engines I've ever heard, up there with the Zonda and the McLaren F1. And I dont care that is has a Porsche badge, I'd own a CGT in a heartbeat, just a shame I'd run out of talent before the car did and there'd be one less Carrera GT in the world .
Old 4 Oct 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2965420)   #5347
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Do I qualify for duel membership then ?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2965569)   #5348
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Even if it doesn't sell as well as the main competitor exactly because the lack of character and tradition?
Porsche has a wealth of history and tradition to pick from. Yes the use of "flat" engines is an easy one to point to. As mentioned, about the only "heresy" you will get some support for is the use of something other than a flat six in the 911 (I personally don't subscribe to that). But beyond that, Porsche fans are fans of Porsche not not just strictly a specific engine configuration.

So if you want to make this about Porsche heritage, they can do everything from looking way back to the Lohner-Porsche hybrid to more recent engines such as the V10 used in the Carrera GT, the V8s used outside of the 911/Boxster/Cayman lineup and the racing V8 used in the RS Spyder. They have used a wide range of engine configurations over the years.

My 2 cents is that when they build the 918 (most likely a low volume car), that it will get a bespoke engine. And that it is likely to be at a minimum a modern V8 with all of the usual tricks. However as part of the development of the engine for the 918, they may also plan to recoup some of that development cost by also using reusing some of that to develop a similar engine for the car between the 918 and 911. And that they will incorporate plenty of design elements into the car to make it recognizable as a Porsche by the faithful.

Richard
Old 4 Oct 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2965816)   #5349
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Do I qualify for duel membership then ?
while my coments are usualy to provoke you porsche fans, and my preferance is clear, I have however repeaditly defended posche against other attakers and complimented them on occasion. The reson is simple I conside porsche to be on the same level as ferrari, and love some of thier cars. no other manuf has the heratige, passion and pure coolnes of these two, nor do they even come close, IMO of caurse.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2966001)   #5350
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Double Post

Last edited by Spyderman; 5 Oct 2011 at 08:54. Reason: Double Post