Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 2022, 19:35 (Ref:4125724)   #1326
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What about camembert, vieux Lille or beaujolais? Asking for a Max friend!
French cheese? Can we buy it in the UK?

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

(Apologies Gerard that's a very English "joke")

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Sep 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4125825)   #1327
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not particularly a royalist, and I think a “slimmed down monarchy” is a good plan but it’s probably a far better idea to have a ceremonial monarch as head of state than an elected president. Look at the Horlicks other countries make of electing their heads of state!

As for mothballing Buck House, except for ceremonial and state occasions, I am not sure I see the point. It will still cost a fortune to run and is the focus of the royal family in London, and maybe in England. There are plenty of other royal palaces/ homes that could be mothballed.
Old 12 Sep 2022, 16:15 (Ref:4125858)   #1328
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
As for mothballing Buck House, except for ceremonial and state occasions, I am not sure I see the point. It will still cost a fortune to run and is the focus of the royal family in London, and maybe in England. There are plenty of other royal palaces/ homes that could be mothballed.
I thought they needed to refresh large sections of it. Maybe all of it. Much easier to do and probably a less expensive project if it's not required for perpetual extended use.

When done it would make for a great AirBnB location if no longer required by a downsized Monarchy.

Meanwhile I read that Heads of State will only be allowed one accompanying person as the State Funeral and will be bussed in.

Now, since President Biden has said he is coming, how well is that proposal going to work?
Old 12 Sep 2022, 18:54 (Ref:4125879)   #1329
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Now, since President Biden has said he is coming, how well is that proposal going to work?
Piece of cake using mind countability. Our prez is supposed to go too. Taking your example with Biden, it gives 1 + 0 =1.
Old 12 Sep 2022, 23:20 (Ref:4125905)   #1330
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not so much the minds I had in mind, Gerard. More the minders.

Can GM build a huge and heavily armoured bus quickly enough?

How many of his protection squad will be allowed to be in the area? Will they have to disguise themselves in some way?

If someone could persuade Putin and Zelenskyy to attend and somehow get them on the same bus, then refuse to let them out until they have come to an agreement, would there be any chance of a cease fire? Now that would be a diplomatic coup.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 05:59 (Ref:4125921)   #1331
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If GM can do nothing, may be Vatican's museum could help with historic models, period correct in this case.
Good idea your bus, just add Occident's official spokespman, Manu premier, and let them talk. If something bad happens top the said bus, call it fatality or accident.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 06:39 (Ref:4125923)   #1332
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Grant, your wish is command, no private planes allowed to land at Heathrow, no tchopper, only 'normal" planes. And guess what, all those so called VIPs have to use public transport to access the city center! I imagine that some explainations will be required to explain what a bus is…
Old 14 Sep 2022, 11:06 (Ref:4126044)   #1333
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course the advantage of numerous VIPs travelling together to the funeral on a bus is that they may get to talk to each other without loads of officials being in the way.
Old 15 Sep 2022, 16:14 (Ref:4126148)   #1334
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Of course the advantage of numerous VIPs travelling together to the funeral on a bus is that they may get to talk to each other without loads of officials being in the way.
Lack of translators might be a problem?

Presumably the USA would have to insist that Joe's co-travellers were carefully selected.

Maybe they could all use one of the "on-phone" direct translation apps. That could prove interesting.

Old 15 Sep 2022, 17:09 (Ref:4126158)   #1335
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm afraid that according to the Times, Biden is being allowed to bring the Beast, and a few others thought to be "vulnerable" are allowed individual transport, rather than a Routemaster. Apparently Biden hasn't got a bus pass......
Old 15 Sep 2022, 17:29 (Ref:4126160)   #1336
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's being reported that President Emmanuel Macron of France, Emperor Naruhito of Japan and Israeli President Isaac Herzog are also likely to have their own transport.

I think all of the G7 leaders are being permitted to use separate arrangements.
Old 15 Sep 2022, 19:37 (Ref:4126165)   #1337
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You mean Emperor Nabot-Leon Micron the first I presume…

Prepare yourself to see him riding a trottinette electrique and use Gogol translate to speak japanese! I could not find any translation to : heureusement que le ridicule ne tue pas!
Old 15 Sep 2022, 19:44 (Ref:4126166)   #1338
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Prepare yourself to see him riding a trottinette electrique and use Gogol translate to speak japanese! I could not find any translation to : heureusement que le ridicule ne tue pas!
No mention of him taking Brigitte - perhaps he is taking his security guard instead?
Old 15 Sep 2022, 22:19 (Ref:4126170)   #1339
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm afraid that according to the Times, Biden is being allowed to bring the Beast, and a few others thought to be "vulnerable" are allowed individual transport, rather than a Routemaster. Apparently Biden hasn't got a bus pass......
I'm sure TfL could rustle one up in good time.

Unless the rules have changed since the last time I looked anyone over 60 and with an address in London can get one.

Given Biden's attitude towards the UK I'm bemused that he would be advised to visit by his handlers. Perhaps he thinks he is going to a different London somewhere nearer home.
Old 15 Sep 2022, 22:24 (Ref:4126171)   #1340
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

"Fortunately being ridiculous will not kill you!"

Now that's an observation that could be widely applied in the current age.
Old 16 Sep 2022, 06:42 (Ref:4126198)   #1341
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I'm sure TfL could rustle one up in good time.

Unless the rules have changed since the last time I looked anyone over 60 and with an address in London can get one.

Given Biden's attitude towards the UK I'm bemused that he would be advised to visit by his handlers. Perhaps he thinks he is going to a different London somewhere nearer home.
London Bridge, perhaps...?
Old 16 Sep 2022, 10:24 (Ref:4126212)   #1342
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems Center Parcs has had a change of heart with turfing people out on the Monday. I wonder who had a word in their ear?
Old 16 Sep 2022, 10:30 (Ref:4126218)   #1343
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Seems Center Parcs has had a change of heart with turfing people out on the Monday. I wonder who had a word in their ear?
Bernie!
Old 16 Sep 2022, 11:13 (Ref:4126220)   #1344
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Bernie!

Thank you Clive!
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:49 (Ref:4126826)   #1345
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Six days since the last post in here......where's everybody gone?
Old 22 Sep 2022, 13:03 (Ref:4126830)   #1346
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Six days since the last post in here......where's everybody gone?

or maybe

Old 22 Sep 2022, 14:26 (Ref:4126854)   #1347
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Being a genuine "proper" car mechanic since 1962 I have to wonder at the amount of videos on YouTube on DIY car repairs. There are one or two that are OK but some are clueless and others are actually dangerous and will cost anyone that attempts to follow their "tuition"more money!
It would appear that there are fewer people year on year going into the car repair trade, possibly because of the EV vehicles that will not require "mechanical" engineers in the future ? In the area where I live in the UK I have personally been asked by small garages if I could help out for a couple of days a week as they can't find anyone to work for them.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2022, 14:32 (Ref:4126858)   #1348
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Association of Heritage Engineers is promoting many companies who are offering apprenticeships, they are also looking for experienced trainers.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 22:35 (Ref:4126907)   #1349
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Having done most of my own work on cars for the last 60 years or so - originally helping my Dad work on his cars, but at the age of 17 changing the engine on the family A35 (which I'd persuaded my Dad to lend to me and my mates to go on holiday in) in the middle of the campsite at Perranporth after we'd run the big end bearings - I never used to have to look for much guidance beyond the ubiquitous Haynes manual.....

But of course now many cars aren't covered by such a manual, so I have actually found on occasion that checking out a Youtube video or two can be useful. I guess having the basic "how-to" knowledge means I'm happier to look at such things because if I see something obviously wrong I'll recognise it.
Old 23 Sep 2022, 14:45 (Ref:4126998)   #1350
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

For those who recall my posts re the family "Landcrab" back in early August, I popped over to Great British Sportscars last Saturday and met some lovely people.

Also some very interesting vehicles were to be discovered and several beautifully finished GBS Zeros. Plus an terrific sounding 1935 ERA.

Sadly no sign of the Landcrab or anything similar and no one related to the company knew who took it last December.

Back about 15 years ago that part of Notts was the location for the Robinhood Rally, an old school stage rally that I covered a couple of times.

Admittedly it took place in March rather than on a very pleasant September day but had the traffic been at the same levels as it was last Saturday it probably could not have been run at all.

Suddenly the attraction of single stage venues becomes a little clearer.

It's time to look at some of the other lines earlier suggested to try to track down the old family car.
Closed Thread