Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Nov 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1463320)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
No More Indy for Newman/Haas

Quote:
Newman/Haas Racing will not return to the Indianapolis 500 next season...

Bourdais:
"We won't do that next year; Newman/Haas had a bit of a sore souvenir at Indy this year, plus the Champ Car schedule won't allow us to do that."
Story.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1463380)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Shame, but I don't blame them for not wanting a repeat of this years accident. That crash ruined Junqueria's season.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1463389)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
A solid sponsor and a test-driver could change all of this in a heatbeat, though.

IMO, racing at Indy is no longer good-PR for ChampCar (like it was a few years ago), but a dollar-bill is worth a thousand words.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1463391)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the other Forum, there was a thread that dealt with "Indy 500 Winners & Losers"

By my calculations, Newman-Haas was by far the biggest loser in the final outcome...

Their total pay that they received for both competitors was about $450,000, but their losses in destroyed cars alone was about $750,000....that doesn't even include a single paycheck for anyone on the crew, garage rental, housing for a few weeks, etc.

Not to mention the biggest loss of all...Bruno's remainder of the 2005 season....thank God SeaBass wasn't hurt as well in that final wreck of the race...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1463425)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't imagine that anyone is all that surprised.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1463433)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub

I figured they wouldn't be there as soon as a I saw the 2006 Champ Car schedule.....

They'll race in Houston the night of Pole Day, and will be out of the country on the following weekend....and thus they wouldn't have much parctice time at Indy, either, in order to prepare for those two races....

Old 17 Nov 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1463504)   #7
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Still kinda sad though. You want the best racing the best, as it were.

But it makes sense.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1463621)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
(...) Newman-Haas was by far the biggest loser in the final outcome.. (...)
Oriol was the biggest winner
Old 17 Nov 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1463628)   #9
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much for Chip Ganassi's idea at a small attempt of an IRL/Champ Car mixer...
Old 18 Nov 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1463893)   #10
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will put a lot of pressure on the IRL field to find 33 cars for Indy. Seem to have stuggled for a couple of years now, and that's at least 2 more they will need to find.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1463936)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No surprises really. After what happened to Bruno this season...
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1464032)   #12
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I question the "finality" of this, although it may well go down that way. Bourdais speaking to a group of Purdue students is not a TEAM announcement. Haven't heard anything from Haas, Newman, even Junqueira one way or the other.

As for the $, yes, they had two wrecked race cars and the purse wouldn't pay for them. But Pacificare wanted to be at Indy and paid for it...and maybe manufacturer support, too.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1464039)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ganassi can still run the US ChampCar races which don't clash with IRL commitments.

ChampCar have very cannily done their schedule to avoid their guys racing in the Indy 500 anymore, as they've seen that, with so few oval races and talented oval drivers among their roster, they have less chance of winning it now. As their regualr ChampCar drivers would have no time to qualify a car, the only option would be for someone else to race, or to qualify the car for Seb or Bruno to start at the back fo teh grid, whcih wouldn't be worth the hassle.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1464139)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
SeaBass drove a great race at Indy last year.....he got tapped by Buddy Lazier when he tried to shut the door on him going into the third turn and that resulted in his accident (Lazier's front wing cut a tire), or he would have had a Top Five finish....

and Bruno was diefinitely on his game with a good racecar when Foyt put him into the wall....

Old 19 Nov 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1465068)   #15
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from Brunos accident, the two pacificare cars were hardly seen on screen throughout the entire race since Danicamania was in full swing....

Value for money?

I hope they'd rather decide that funding a third Newman Haas car is a better option for 2006........then everyone will be happy!
Old 20 Nov 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1465301)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Centrix their sponsor at indy?
Old 20 Nov 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1465428)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well da Matta would have been with Newman/haas this year if they got a sponser to field a third car throughout the season right? Yet I take it Centrix came a long in the month of may so they could run both cars for the 500 right?
Although It was fun seeing Newman/haas in the 500 this year, the result wasn't fun at all, and I'm sure 3 cars throughout next season is better than being able to be busy throughout may infact it wouldn't even work next year..
Old 20 Nov 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1465464)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think its a choice between Indy or 3 ChampCars.

The sponsor for the 500 came on board because it wanted to appear at that race.

Otherwise it would have just been the normal 2 car ChampCar team
Old 20 Nov 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1465582)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega99
Wasn't Centrix their sponsor at indy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I don't think its a choice between Indy or 3 ChampCars.

The sponsor for the 500 came on board because it wanted to appear at that race.

Otherwise it would have just been the normal 2 car ChampCar team
Exactly x 2.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1465597)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will sponsors still feel that supporting a car for one race is better for them than supporting a car for a whole season?
Old 20 Nov 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1465807)   #21
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Will sponsors still feel that supporting a car for one race is better for them than supporting a car for a whole season?
Not if they didn't even get seen during that one race.

I mean, I'm not starting a whole debate on the value of Indy Vs a whole Champcar season, but the most Centrix got shown on screen was during Bruno's wreck. Not exactly positive association with all the doctors and whatever around, and I can't even remember if the logos etc were in one piece or crumpled up by the crash.

If they'd been on the Champcar, they'd have been on the winning car at least twice (Monterrey and Toronto....that's if you count the second newman haas car as is and not some alternate "If Bruno hadn't crashed" timeline )
and got a lot more screen time over the course of the year....as well as fans at the track....

I would assume there's some assesing or re-assesing going on at Centrix
Old 20 Nov 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1465812)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Let's just hope that they see "autoracing" as a whole, as a good investment. And that they don't look back on last year as a reason to abandon their advertising targets altogether.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1466021)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Centrix logos have appeared all season on Newman-Haas cars, if I'm not mistaken. Centrix is also the title sponsor of the Denver race.