Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Dec 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2997363)   #26
sam12h
Rookie

sam12h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks twinwebbers.

Good on you Reload. I don't see us putting 17 cars in every issue (need room for tech and events in future editions), but you'd be surprised how many icons are still out there, and how many currently-raced cars there are tucked away during the week. And if we can come up with enough drag-raced Fords (one make, one discipline) to make an ongoing mag about them, then I really don't see us ever running out of material for an all-make circuit/tarmac mag.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 03:39 (Ref:2997367)   #27
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
You guys... You're worse than the guy who told me I had the wrong stripes on my xr6. I get your passion but this guy has put together what looks like a great mag (I'll be putting my money down) and you want to make a martyr of him for publishing someone's opinion.

Lighten up and live!
I'm not making anything of anyone, especially not a martyr. I do however like to see things reported accurately & truthfully & having just bought the magazine & read the Commodore article, I can see that both are lacking.

The article claims that after John Cleland finished racing the car, he parked it untill Mr Champion found it & restored the car. This is not true. It was raced, crashed very heavily at least twice by other people. Willy Van Weursch (please excuse my spelling) found the car before PC ever set eyes on it.

This article sets the bar very low for the rest of the magazine, is any independent research done or do you just take the word of the current owner, be it in good faith or not, in case you offend them ?
Old 9 Dec 2011, 05:53 (Ref:2997392)   #28
sam12h
Rookie

This is not a one-man show (nor is it a one-car mag). We rely heavily on contributors, and some are obviously better than others. I wish I had time to personally double-check everyone's research, but the fact is I don't. Ad as I said earlier, the writer certainly believed it when he wrote it.

As for research methods, I can only speak for myself, and in the case of the Group C Greens-Tuf XE I cross-referenced every fact and result in that story. I even had the current owner double-check it. As for something owner-built like the IPRA RX-7, of course I have to take the owner's word for it in terms of it's mechanicals, but I still double-checked the incredible results on Natsoft.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2997446)   #29
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Picked-up a copy today.

Great variety of cars featured.

The controversy re the "05" problem won't be helped by the erroneous caption at the bottom of page 10. But it is not the first time the "undefeated" myth is repeated and it won't be the last.

Looking forward to reading it, well done Sam.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2997464)   #30
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Got my copy today,good read.Needs more sports car content.

Last edited by Rob Bailey; 9 Dec 2011 at 10:29. Reason: add
Old 9 Dec 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2997738)   #31
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Interesting to see that this first edition features 17 race cars which beggars the question, how many editions can they produce before they run out of cars that the reader will be interested in ?
A number of years one would think Reload. As long as Sam steers clear of the done to death 70's Muscle cars courtesy of AMC then I will keep buying. Sam my request list is as follows:
- Hopwood Kaditcha
- Halstead De Tomaso (he still has it unless it was sold recently)
- BMW M3 GTR from the 12hr (Maher may still have it in his garage)
- Phil Laird / Wayne Wakefield 808 Wagon (apparently Phil still has it)
- Thomson Mercedes Sports Sedan (Roger Williams in NZ has it still I think)
- Profile of Riverside Racing Spares (Currently have a BMW and RX8 Sports Sedans in the build for 2012 - Contact Profi on here)
- Senese Family have just imported 2 US Trans Ams for 2012.
- Rusty French DeTomaso
- Paul Stokell Diablo GTR (Someone else has mentioned this)
- Any Group C Rx7's. Get on them before AMC finally gets the balls to start doing indepth articles

Last edited by jd yort; 9 Dec 2011 at 21:04.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2997768)   #32
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam12h View Post
This is not a one-man show (nor is it a one-car mag). We rely heavily on contributors, and some are obviously better than others. I wish I had time to personally double-check everyone's research, but the fact is I don't. Ad as I said earlier, the writer certainly believed it when he wrote it.
This happened over at "Motor" magazine around 2 years ago...........
A featured article on a "Group C" Rx-7 owned by a Perth based motorsport identity, where said owner told us all that his car finished 2nd at Bathurst in 1983 & is "as raced" yada yada yada!!..........all of course ended up being complete ********! (she's a "post era" re-shell) Yet the writer was taken hook, line & sinker. Hope you don't have this one on your to do list!!!!

Goes to prove that current owners don't always know best!! Some will tell you they caught a fish "-----------------------T H I S----- B I G --------------------------"

Last edited by Oran Park Forever; 9 Dec 2011 at 22:12. Reason: typo
Old 10 Dec 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2997971)   #33
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
And just to show that I'm not just a nit picking bar steward, I really enjoyed the articles on the RX-7, Setons EL & the Perkins VS. The interviews could be longer, something for next time perhaps.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2998167)   #34
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might be DJ's first and last interview for the mag if they keep using the shot of him in his Westpoint gear ?.
Still, this is what this great sport is all about in remembering the highs and lows.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2998308)   #35
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Might be DJ's first and last interview for the mag if they keep using the shot of him in his Westpoint gear ?.
Beaten to it. When was the interview actually conducted?

I enjoyed the mag but I thought there could more tech info about the cars and as david said the interviews could be longer. Even if it is at the expense of a couple of feature cars. Good start though.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2998512)   #36
PE 030
Rookie

PE 030 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me if I'm wrong but the entire magazine is full of regurgitated articles from the Express Publications archives.

The Perkins car was sold by the owner mentioned in the article around 5 years ago.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2998570)   #37
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just hope its not going to be another mag promoting a certain collection.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2998659)   #38
sam12h
Rookie

Chavez, you're spot on, Fury beat both HDT VKs (and everyone else who showed up) at the Calder AGP support race. I've actually thought about doing a one-pager at the back to set the record straight whenever we get details like that (or forgetting the rest of the VK's races in the UK) wrong. I know it would make me feel better, but I'm not sure how anyone else would feel about it (both here at work and the readers).

Rob Bailey, good on you. And we won't be ignoring sports cars.

jd yort, I'll see what I can do. If you come across any more details to help track them down let us know.

Oran Park Forever, I know how easy it is to fall for, even some of the replicas these days look quite convincing.

david5, no worries. Thanks for pointing out the positives too. Longer interviews but less of them per issue is the likely scenario in future issues

Reload, I asked for that pic to be aggressively cropped, but it didn't happen unfortunately.

Rich7, it was a while ago, and you'll figure out why with my response to PE 030
As for tech info, it's based on what we are confident to be the case. If we're not sure, I'd rather it was left out. It is something I try to be comprehensive with when I write a story myself though. You can't accuse me of being skimpy with the specs on the XE, the XA or the RX-7.

PE 030, you're not wrong. This is how we launch new mags in this company, compile a new niche and see how well it sells. By putting so many cars in it though (and so few ads), there should be several features that each reader won't have seen before.

Rob Bailey again, we're not interested in any one collection. There are too many interesting cars out there owned by lots of different people.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 01:47 (Ref:2998999)   #39
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam12h View Post
Chavez, you're spot on, Fury beat both HDT VKs (and everyone else who showed up) at the Calder AGP support race. I've actually thought about doing a one-pager at the back to set the record straight whenever we get details like that (or forgetting the rest of the VK's races in the UK) wrong. I know it would make me feel better, but I'm not sure how anyone else would feel about it (both here at work and the readers).

Rob Bailey, good on you. And we won't be ignoring sports cars.

jd yort, I'll see what I can do. If you come across any more details to help track them down let us know.

Oran Park Forever, I know how easy it is to fall for, even some of the replicas these days look quite convincing.

david5, no worries. Thanks for pointing out the positives too. Longer interviews but less of them per issue is the likely scenario in future issues

Reload, I asked for that pic to be aggressively cropped, but it didn't happen unfortunately.

Rich7, it was a while ago, and you'll figure out why with my response to PE 030
As for tech info, it's based on what we are confident to be the case. If we're not sure, I'd rather it was left out. It is something I try to be comprehensive with when I write a story myself though. You can't accuse me of being skimpy with the specs on the XE, the XA or the RX-7.

PE 030, you're not wrong. This is how we launch new mags in this company, compile a new niche and see how well it sells. By putting so many cars in it though (and so few ads), there should be several features that each reader won't have seen before.

Rob Bailey again, we're not interested in any one collection. There are too many interesting cars out there owned by lots of different people.
Some great cars in Melbourne,with racing history.
My newsagent in Kew,only got 4 mags all gone within 2 hours.
Looking forward to the next issue,when will that be?
Old 13 Dec 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2999090)   #40
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went to Westfield at North Lakes and wasn't able to browse before buying. It was in a packet with two other mags for $10. I decided to take the plunge, based on the positive feedback in this thread. The articles appear to have been written for people in the modified street car scene, but if it gets them interested in real motorsport and race cars, that's a good thing. I'm impressed with the selection of cars and the photos are good too. I agree the interviews could be longer and deeper.

I wonder what the Bathurst museum thinks of your '84 05 VK article. There's plenty of foddder for future editions in the museum at Bathurst and in the Bowden's collection and there's also plenty of suitable cars being raced in historic Group C & A, go to www.groupc.org
Old 13 Dec 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2999136)   #41
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Google is your friend

http://michaelwyres.com/2011/09/the-...e-big-bangers/
Old 13 Dec 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2999417)   #42
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam,

Following on from this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=surfers

How about a "where are they now" style of article on tracks that have gone or are unused regulary by current V8SC and other categories.
A write up with:
A bit of history.. when first races started etc...
Who did what there and when...
Significant events / results / crashes etc
Current state of the track
Before and after pics etc..

I enjoy watching old footage etc of ATCC and other events and notice the changes in tracks / layouts etc. I'm interested to get a bit of a write up and I'm sure others are too

I'll kick it off with a list of a couple
Surfers,
Amaroo
Oran Park

Other interesting tracks
Wakefeild
Calder (inc thunderdome)
Lakeside

Or what about history, development, current layout (growth good and bad) safety improvements;
Sandown,
Bathurst

You get the idea..

I'm sure the collective group will add thier tracks to the list above

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 13 Dec 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2999470)   #43
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
redesp, i like your idea! I think a lot of very interesting articles could come out of this. Doesn't fit the mag title though...............
Old 14 Dec 2011, 04:39 (Ref:2999526)   #44
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
redesp, i like your idea! I think a lot of very interesting articles could come out of this. Doesn't fit the mag title though...............
Thanks for the "thumbs up".

I figure that there are just as many "circuit stories" as there are cars....

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 14 Dec 2011, 05:45 (Ref:2999531)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would imagine a project like V8Sleuth being put together by Mr Noonan will overlap some of the reporting in this magazine.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Dec 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2999553)   #46
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
That is a good start, bust still not totally correct.

The writer there forgets about the Motorcraft 300 at Surfers (in between Bathurst and Calder), and also forgets the Group C races that took place at Baskerville after the AGP support race.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2999895)   #47
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
That is a good start, bust still not totally correct.

The writer there forgets about the Motorcraft 300 at Surfers (in between Bathurst and Calder), and also forgets the Group C races that took place at Baskerville after the AGP support race.
You're right, however I was just showing the two VKs competing at Calder, correcting the articles claim of the 05 car winning 3 from 3 Group C races.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 08:26 (Ref:3000084)   #48
sam12h
Rookie

Hi Rob Bailey. Lots of great cars everywhere. I'm pleased to see it selling so well. We're working on the second issue now so I expect it to be out in the first quarter of next year (slow production rate whilst the title finds its feet).

Hi DAVID PATERSON, there's nothing I can do about the bag, that's just an EMG thing that they always do. Yes, modified street car mags is our background, but that's exactly what the old touring cars were. There's always a human side to every car build so you'll find that the stories tend to capture that.
No idea what the museum thinks. Yep, plenty of GpC&A out there, and there's a casting call on their forum. I've already had some of the car's owners approach me asking if we'd like to do a story on them.

Yes David5, that's true, but you can't believe every page it finds either. Always need to cross check things as one five five pointed out. Here's a link covering the Baskerville results;
http://hobartsportingcarclub.org/history.html (scroll to bottom of Group C piece)

Hi redesp. I agree, the tracks are as important as anything else, so this has definitely been put on the list of ideas. Here's that tribute thread I did last year on Catalina;
http://www.streetfords.com.au/forum/...php?f=2&t=5072

Hi GTRmagic, I see no problem with such overlap. The level of interest that people have in old race cars can only be a good thing for us.

Spot on one five five, as per the link in response to David5.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 09:12 (Ref:3000096)   #49
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Sorry I've got lost, no HDT cars at the last Baskervile race. My google link was purely to point out that the HDT cars raced at a forth meeting, which 05 didn't win.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 09:37 (Ref:3000105)   #50
sam12h
Rookie

Never said HDT turned up. As one five five pointed out, the link you provided also had errors on it. My point was not every Google result is reliable either. What I provided was a link supporting that point (which also added to one five five's information).