Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Mar 2002, 08:02 (Ref:240647)   #51
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, a big disappointment about Luke Searle, he is a great talent, remember what he done at Wakefield last year. Hopefully a bigger budget will 2 of the David Searle Team cars out there.
Miller could be a force to be reckoned with. I would also believe that he will show his and the cars potential at Oran Park rather than other tracks. In 2000 he qualified 3rd, and again 2001, so the camry has some pace around the track.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 08:44 (Ref:240667)   #52
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Searles car, which they expected to be running this weekend, now won't be.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 11:11 (Ref:240754)   #53
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
ASTEM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Car of David Searles that won't be running is the ex Downard BMW, Unfortunatley the new motor parts did not arrive in time, the 30 car which Luke ran last yaer will be out on the track friday morning with Alan Gurr at the wheel.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 11:36 (Ref:240768)   #54
RaceTime
Veteran

Thanks for clearing that - I spoke to Mike Downard yesterday and he confirmed they weren't running - but with multiple Searles, it gets difficult sometimes
Old 22 Mar 2002, 02:59 (Ref:241292)   #55
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how is Searle financing the newer BMW? New sponsor? Or have the ST car values plummeted so much that not getting a newer car is just plain crazy? Are they any big name sponsors for any of the teams? Like Leatherman was in '01? I think they were the most recognizable/biggest international name?
Old 22 Mar 2002, 10:34 (Ref:241463)   #56
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But they were a new company to most of us Aussie fans!
Old 23 Mar 2002, 12:08 (Ref:242296)   #57
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just posted Super Touring Qualifying PR on www.qrda.asn.au/welcome.html

Only 8 entrants at this stage.
Old 23 Mar 2002, 12:53 (Ref:242327)   #58
RaceTime
Veteran

I hope the version you got was cleaner than the ones I received - a forward and a hopeless mess to re-use
Old 24 Mar 2002, 01:06 (Ref:242593)   #59
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, 2 of them were a bit messy, but it was easily fixed.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 01:20 (Ref:242609)   #60
RaceTime
Veteran

Not when you get between 6 and 12 *a day* like that!
Old 24 Mar 2002, 10:40 (Ref:242758)   #61
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about someone buying some of the cars from the now cancelled South American series. They have at least two each of Alfa 156s, Vectra, and 318i's. As well as a couple of Alfa 155's.

Then there are the cars from the former SE Asian series.

And there a few cars left in South Africa.

The best thing, however, is to get all cars on the grid.

It is great the series is back up and running.

Teams will really get to the track if a good free to air TV deal can be done.

Whhat about the ex-Richards/Caplan/Cornish Nissan??

The two Honda Accords? ex-Crompton NATCC car and Richards car.

The Cavaliers?

Carlos Rolfo's BMW?

Any others?

There should be at least 3 other Peugeot 406's. And 3 405's.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 11:36 (Ref:242774)   #62
RaceTime
Veteran

Let's look at the reality though.

Today - Race 1 - 10 starters, 9 finishers.

Race 2 - 10 starters, 7 finishers

Race 3 - 6 starters, 6 finishers.

They need to get better figures than that.

(In comparison, btw, - Future Tourers Race 2 - 9 starters, 8 finishers, Commodores Race 2 21 starters, 19 finishers, V8 Stock Cars - formerly NASCARs - 8 starters, 6 finishers)
Old 24 Mar 2002, 12:05 (Ref:242804)   #63
super
Rookie

super should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello to you all. I was at Oran Park today amid the heat. Yes, by race 3 the Super Tourers were getting short of a field but it was great to see them back in action. Race 1 was brilliant to watch Hills slice through the pack to 2nd but then Gurr was black-flagged through the smoke. The one disappointment for me and an otherwise great day of motorsport was that we never got to see the awaited Gurr and Hills battle. Gurr went out in race 1, and Hills went out in two. Well done Ric Shaw in the Peugeot. Consistency pays.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 12:37 (Ref:242821)   #64
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i was at Oran Park today as well, yesterday too. Sure the field was small, but in fairness to ST there were only 8 NASCAR's (weren't they predicting 20-30) and a not a huge field of trucks. (where'd they all go)

There were 7 starters in race 3, just that when the lights turned green Claude Elias dived straight to the pits.

Hills won from the back in race 1 after Gurr led from pole and retired, Gurr won race 2 from the back after Hills retired from pole, wasn't bad racing, but not the best.

Just wondering, where was Jamie Miller, he was entered.

Should be ok though, more cars at the next round, with the SAE car, Bradshaw BMW and Henderson should have his engine/clutch problems fixed.

Ric Shaw did ok in the 406
Old 25 Mar 2002, 06:33 (Ref:243383)   #65
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In response to Racetime's remarks about the poor survival rate of the ST cars as the races occured, it isn't much worse from the other racing series you mentioned. Ditto if you compared it against certain CART and F1 races.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 06:47 (Ref:243388)   #66
RaceTime
Veteran

You're right of course - but it becomes more noticeable when you only have 8 cars to start with
Old 25 Mar 2002, 07:06 (Ref:243392)   #67
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, however this is the 1st round of the series. Over the past summer alot of ground was made from the guys. Last year before the POwerTour they had no series, then they 2 rounds of the POwerTour and had 6 car grids. Then yesterday they had 11 cars at the start. That was with Hendo , Bradshaw, Luke Searle and Jamie Miller all not attending.The two Mondeo's both spilt a piston I belive from bad fuel, not really there fault.
Mallala should be a cracker for the Super Tourers.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 10:24 (Ref:243483)   #68
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by D.R.T.

Mallala should be a cracker for the Super Tourers.
There is that word again "should". Everytime there is a round of the were super tourers coming up all we hear is that it "should" be a cracker. It just never eventuates. I just think you are flogging a dead horse. I used to love the super tourers when there was a decent grid with competitive cars in it. But now even if you get 15 cars on the grid the only way that most of them are every going to finish up the order is if the couple of decent cars have a problem and drop out. I mean the Hyundai's and the Carinas were never competitive, so what makes you think they are going to be now.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 25 Mar 2002, 10:48 (Ref:243506)   #69
gmontrack
Rookie

gmontrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the problems that the Pour Tour/ASTEM have with the ST category is that, the race fans who go and sit on the side of the track and watch their favourite sport or watch from their arm chair, have been sold on the idea that ST is not worth going to see anymore. Now for what ever reason that might be, the promoters need to change that perseption around if they are going to get there show up and running and being a success. I have been involved in ST for five or six years and it would be a shame to see it die, but if this does not work(this time ) then lets move on to what ever, because the longer we try to give it the kiss of life the harder it will be everyone involved to move on to another category and go motoracing.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 12:28 (Ref:243568)   #70
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the current super touring cars will be around for much longer, probably be replaced soon by super production or something similiar. David Auger is possibly going to race SP in Asia, which could indicate a future direction.

It wouldn't take much to get the field more competitive, on top of the Oran Park frontrunners Gurr, Hills, Johnson & Shaw, add Henderson, Luke Searle, Jamie Miller (whenever his no show at OP is explained) plus some others to come out of the woodwork the racing wouldn't be too bad, not 95-99 standard, but better than 2000
Old 25 Mar 2002, 12:48 (Ref:243592)   #71
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry, I don't understand the facination with Super Production, when what Procar are doing with modified production cars is starting to hit a brick wall. How many similar classes do we want??

I may be completely wrong, but at the Power Tour, and prior to that the ANTRO meetings, most of the punters through the gate came to see the trucks. Kind of like the V8s- everything is a sideshow. I know this doesn't apply to many people around here, because most of us are hardcore junkies.... but really, what is the pulling power of a dozen Super Tourers in this day and age to Joe Yokel?
Old 26 Mar 2002, 01:50 (Ref:244161)   #72
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
I never said i agreed with it, just that that is the way the series looks like it could go in the future.

There isn't really any pulling power of a dozen ST cars, but if a few more would get in there and compete, the field would grow and so would the interest. There was only 12 trucks though and only 8 NASCAR's and 11 Future Tourers, for some reason big fields weren't attracted. There were decent fields in the Commodore Cup and HQ's though (and a decent HQ crash on saturday)
Old 26 Mar 2002, 02:40 (Ref:244189)   #73
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatley the Problem ST has is that V8s are sucking the all of the corporate money into there category, I really don't understand why is costs $75000 for a V8 Motor, most V8 apparently have about 15 motors per car.

I spoke with David Searle at Winton last year and he told me that a ST motor for his BMW cost $30000 to build, all that were at Oran park saw the speed of that car!

Look at these figures, luke searle driving the BMW at winton (with and old motor)did a race lap of 1:29.8774, this lap time would have qualified him 10th in the V8 Supercar field at winton, ahead of Jason Brights HRT commodore who qualified 10th with a lap time of 1:31.8195

Another problem that ST has had is that TOCA lost there focus in the last couple of years, pushing the Future / TOCA Tourer format at the expense of the Super Touring. I personally compare the last couple of years like the coke/pepsi battle.

Where the category going? according to a couple of drivers they will be moving to Super Production, which makes sense as these cars are the evolution of the super tourer, and they are being raced in NZ, South Africa and asia, Its an international class. there have apparntly been talks about a Forming a South Pacific Super Touring Championship, with cars from Asia and NZ, you have mentioned that Procar have GTP, Super Production and GTP are differnet, you have Commodore and Flacon racing in GTP and noboby is saying there the same as V8 Super cars. i look at it this way, Super Production cars are Pure Race cars, GTP are performace road cars, that some drive to and from the track.

Jamie Miller has apperanlty bought a Ausie legend car and was there at the weekend, what a waste of money, apparently cams have banned them from competeing because they can't get insurance and don't comply to cams saftey regs.

Seeing that ST cars back on the weekend was great.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 01:07 (Ref:245557)   #74
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Super touring has a huge task ahead, to rebuild there category, ther is not doutb about that, but we belvie we are up to the challenge, the commitment of David Searle, Paul leabeater, Peter Hills (who was seling farming equipment in Victoria on saturday night) and Rod Dale is Fantastic not to mention all of the other competitors who were present on the weekend,

there was some very positive feedback from non Super Touring competitors and fans, there were a few hicups and issues that arose over the weekend, and we are addressing them as i write.

It was disapointing to have a small field of cars for the last race, and when you have small fields it does hurt the competition. we did lose 3 cars to what is belived to be a bad batch of fuel, all 3 cars (2 mondeos and the Lantra)all bought fuel from the same pump.

David Searle is flying in his engine builder in from NZ on friday, who will then build the playboy engine. the driver for adelaide is stil to be confirmed, either way the car will be on the track.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 01:15 (Ref:245560)   #75
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Does any one know how we can get in contact with the teams of the cancelled South American series?

there are 7 Pugs that we know of, 4 x 406s and 3 x 405s

the ex-Richards/Caplan/Cornish Nissan is for sale and is currently owned by toca also the Honda Accord? ex-Crompton NATCC car and Richards car. is also for sale and is owned by toca