Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 22 Dec 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1185973)   #7551
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_royksopp
Well, concerning the new sub-forum status, i've got mixed feelings about it.

In a way it's good. It's a kind of recognition of fantasy track making, and it will probably attract new posters.
This is exactly why I looked at the most popular thread on the forum and decided for technical and administrative reasons to give it its own sub-forum

Quote:
On the other hand, i am very sad that the 'good old MyTracks-community' is gone. Now, where will we post all our non-racetrack posts. Now, anyone from outside the MyTracks community would stick their hand very high up in the air and yell 'Parc Ferme!', but thats not good. We have our own little community inhere, and many of us never visit PF.
The sub-forum was created for the MyTracks community in order to allow off topic items to have their own threads and thus hopefully make it easier for the community to use.

Quote:
So if we shall stop posting in this thread, i've got one condition:

We should be allowed to post offtopic in this forum, as we have done over the years in the thread, without all our posts being moved to PF or somewhere else, in order to keep the MyTracks-community alive.
"on condition" doesn't work with me, and my previous comments should indicate that off-topic are as welcome in the sub-forum as they were in the thread.

Quote:
I am still very sad that this decision has been taken. The thread here was just perfect, and it had history. It had its special charm about it, which i dont think the new subforum can keep. In this thread, people have come and gone, people have evoved as track designers, and we are many of us who are only in this specific thread on the whole of 10/10ths. We have been sort of a side-community within Ten-Tenths, and i think it's a shame that 'our place' has now been completely changed by the moderators, who have got no connection to the MyTracks thread whatsoever, without even asking us for our opinion.
The decision was taken for several reasons, one a technical reason, vBulletin has known issues with large threads and this thread was approaching the limit and it was felt that such a large and active thread would benefit from it's own sub-forum in which to expand. There was also a feedback form sent from one of the contributors to the thread asking for some form of "formal" recognition and the best way to do this was with a sub-forum with the possibility of "promotion" to a full forum at a later date.

Quote:
Now, let me clear to you, MagnetON, and your fellow mod's and admins, that it is VERY important that we still get the rights to post offtopic. Otherwise, i would seriously think of making a new forum on a new website for all of us mytrackeroids, in order to keep the community alive. But i also think that this is the golden chance for 10/10ths to proove, what i've never doubted but now, that it's a open forum, where different communities can coexist under a broad and open leadership, not a top-to-bottom-controlled website, where the users opinion isnt heard.
I think I've made it clear regarding off-topic posts, if they have been allowed in the thread then they will continue (within reason) to be allowed in the sub-forum.

Quote:
PLEASE, 10/10ths, do not kill this community-in-the-community, because it's an example of 10/10ths being an open and free community, which i still believe and hope it is.
I feel we've demonstrated that by giving this community-in-the-community a step of formal recognition and a sub-forum we are taking steps to ensure the success and popularity of this topic.

Quote:
No, i cant promise for this being my last post in this thread, but yes, i accept the decision of making a sub-forum, as long as we are granted the right to post offtopic and continue to exist as a community-in-the-community of 10/10ths.
Continuing to post to this thread is obviously at your own discretion, however as previously mentioned there ARE issues with threads with a large number of replies in vBulletin and I will take the necessary steps to preserve the stability of the web server and if that involves locking this thread at some point then I will take those steps.

Grant MacDonald.
Royalridge Computing.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1185988)   #7552
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If things stand as you state, which i believe they do, i am satisfied with the way things have become.

I was just afraid of MyTracks becoming a tight-clean-trackdesign-only forum. But as long as we're all agreed to find the balance between promoting MyTracks, and keeping the community alive, i am happy .
Old 23 Dec 2004, 03:36 (Ref:1186440)   #7553
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This whole community atmosphere, regardless of the good intentions of the mods, may well be at risk. As I already stated, having multiple threads disperses the forum members. Also, the off-topic portions were often in character in some manner with the thread. The context at times spurred side comments and subsequent commentary, and it all fit together somehow. Taking those breaks was also an opportunity to replenish design inspiration. I just get the feeling that even having separate threads for off-topic comments would be too disconnected from whatever else was happening to really fit in as a separate entity here.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1186688)   #7554
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
You're right about that, Purist, but i think we should just go along with the new change, and see what it brings. God knows, it might even be better than the old MyTracks.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 05:18 (Ref:1187233)   #7555
Slurpy
Rookie

Slurpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the problem is with overly long threads, it'd make more sense to just start a new thread once in a while and continue where everyone left off.

Last edited by Slurpy; 24 Dec 2004 at 05:19.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 00:02 (Ref:1187697)   #7556
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slurpy's thoughts mirror mine precisely Although I can see the advantages in the new layout, I can't really find much problem with the old single-thread layout Bring on "My Tracks - Part 2" I say!

Ooh, cool, first post of Christmas Day in this forum. Have a good day everyone, peace and good will

Last edited by crozier74; 25 Dec 2004 at 00:06.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 26 Dec 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1188001)   #7557
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Nah, as stated above, i think we should stick with the new layout, and see what it brings.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1199356)   #7558
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just realized this old thing hasn't had a post after the first, so... here's to 2005 for My Tracks
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 13 Jan 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1199981)   #7559
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Hehe, yeah .
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1208984)   #7560
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had my first look back here for a while.

I tell you what ....... who would have thought that the little thread I started all that time ago would get this big!?

(Choking back tears)

I mean, over 7,500 replies, it's own forum .......

It's just so ...... (sniff, sniff) ...... I'm just so proud!

I struggle for time to do it, but I might have to put some tracks on here again at some point.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1208983)   #7561
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had my first look back here for a while.

I tell you what ....... who would have thought that the little thread I started all that time ago would get this big!?

(Choking back tears)

I mean, over 7,500 replies, it's own forum .......

It's just so ...... (sniff, sniff) ...... I'm just so proud!

I struggle for time to do it, but I might have to put some tracks on this thread - nay, forum - here again at some point.

Last edited by mac; 24 Jan 2005 at 22:11.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1208992)   #7562
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow mac replying this calls for me to post here !!!!! lol cool mac look forward to seeing some of you tracks.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1208994)   #7563
mac
Veteran

I feel like the the Grand Old Stager of My Tracks. LOL!
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1208995)   #7564
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yo guys Mac lives, all bow down to the king that is mac! ...

Mac how would you like to become the leader of the ITDA ..

Independant Track Designers Association
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1209004)   #7565
mac
Veteran

Wow, I'm chuffed Chaynes - you've made me cry again!

It sounds impressive.

What does the role actually involve?
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1209024)   #7566
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing yet I don't think...

I don't really know, its more TR and CG's thing

Nice to see you posting here again though
Old 24 Jan 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1209056)   #7567
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaynes321
Yo guys Mac lives, all bow down to the king that is mac!
Oh, king, eh? Very nice? And how'd you get that, eh? By exploitin' the workers, an' by hangin' out to outdated imperialistic dogma that is perpetuated throughout our soci'ty. If there's ever goin' to be any progress--HELP! HELP! I'M BEIN' REPRESSED!

But seriously, welcome back to the thread...er, forum now.

Looking forward to those new tracks, just post them in a new thread or you'll get yelled at.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1209065)   #7568
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wondeful to see you back mac.
Though, why don't you post your tracks in this thread? After all, it is yours
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 25 Jan 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1209090)   #7569
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_Wuzzle
Oh, king, eh? Very nice? And how'd you get that, eh? By exploitin' the workers, an' by hangin' out to outdated imperialistic dogma that is perpetuated throughout our soci'ty.
It appears that way.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1209584)   #7570
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Hey, P, i'm not on the ITDA thing . Anyhow, the name and logo was my idea, and i reserve the right to reserve it . I'm not for the project.

Anyway, welcome back, mac! . Jeez, you've got no idea of what happened throughout this thread . But it's nice to have you back.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1214525)   #7571
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
For those in the UK:

Who just saw Top Gear?

The Stig in this year's Renault R24 F1 car round the Top Gear Test Track

A full 20 seconds faster than the Ferrari Enzo in the wet

The average road car laps in around 1m40 to 1m45, the Enzo does it in 1m19.00, and the R24 did it in 59.00 Amazing...
going back a bit now, i do apologise but i caNT BELIVE I MISSED THIS ONE!!!!! does anyone have it online by any chance? wonder when the repets are!! ???
Old 23 Feb 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1233548)   #7572
jeppsson
Rookie

jeppsson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what program do you use when you make your own tracks?
//jeppsson
Old 23 Feb 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1233556)   #7573
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
jeppsson ... we all use different software ... i use microsoft's word ...using the draw toolbar

other guys use ms paint ... photoshop and others
Old 23 Feb 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1233610)   #7574
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Please feel free to re-start the conversation about "what program" in a new thread.

Thread Closed.
Closed Thread