Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Sep 2021, 11:45 (Ref:4072480)   #4326
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need something similar to this YouTube in Australia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfq7-1ePW-M
Old 1 Jan 2022, 06:22 (Ref:4092039)   #4327
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSA Member View Post
Ok here we have it:
The left hand drive turbo car:
Allan Grice driving the left hand drive Craven Mild car:

Note that the rear guards are closed type ones because the car ran in the Australian Sport Sedan Championship at this point in time and open flares/guards weren't allowed.

Jim Richards driving the left hand drive JPS car:

I am going to take a stab here and say it is the same car. Besides the rear guards being open (this was allowed in the GT Championship) look at the the roll cage, front body work, rear wing and even the mirror on the drivers door, they all look the same to me.

The right hand drive turbo car:
I linked some pics earlier in the thread of when Allan Grice drove the car, I haven't got any pictures of when Brue Lynton raced it. Here are two pics of the car when John Briggs ran it
- Still in black paint after taking the car over from Lynton:

- Now with different paint work and open flares/guards to meet the GT regulations:

Below is a picture of the car when Richard Gartner raced the car. As you can see the flares/guards were now changed back to closed type ones to meet the Sport Sedan regulations. The rotary engine was now also fitted so the turbo exhaust pipe out the passenger side door was removed too.
Here we are on day #1 of 2022 & the car is for sale:
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...turbo-ex-works
&
https://www.group5bmw.com/

...The next step in the cars history is In 1980, it went to Australia to Frank Gardner and Allen Grice. Allen spent a small amount of time with the car and Jim Richards was brought in. During a phone call with Frank Gardner and the current owner a few years prior to Gardners passing, Frank said "that is the only car I've ever bought that had been modified by another team that I didn't change" He also said "Anyone can drive that car fast" The team was very successful until a startline crash at Adelaide ended it’s season with Gardner's team, luckily, the chassis was lightly damaged in the crash as the stripped chassis shows almost no real repairs made. The car was tracked down in Australia by a US collector/ racer in the mid '80s and brought to the USA where it sat disassembled for years.
The current owner acquired the car in 1998 and ....

Last edited by cavvy; 1 Jan 2022 at 06:26. Reason: .... the place of Australia in the cars history ...
Old 2 Jan 2022, 01:08 (Ref:4092149)   #4328
cavvy
Veteran

Can anyone advise the status of the Beechey Mustang these days
&/or
the McKeown Mk 2 Cortina
Old 2 Jan 2022, 01:13 (Ref:4092151)   #4329
cavvy
Veteran

Neptune Racing Team

Can anyone advise the current status of the Beechey Mustang these days
&/or
the McKeown Mk 2 Cortina.
Old 2 Jan 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4092170)   #4330
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Always enjoy looking back at these cars of old and it's always good to see enough of them are still in good nick. Keep the photos and stories coming guys
Old 4 Jan 2022, 23:53 (Ref:4092511)   #4331
Shiney
Rookie

Australia
West Aus
Shiney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Can anyone advise the status of the Beechey Mustang these days
&/or
the McKeown Mk 2 Cortina
Didn't the Beechey Mustang turn up 10 or 12 years ago? I haven't seen or heard of it since.
Attached Thumbnails
beech.jpg   beechey.png  
Old 5 Jan 2022, 01:40 (Ref:4092520)   #4332
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiney View Post
Didn't the Beechey Mustang turn up 10 or 12 years ago? I haven't seen or heard of it since.
Its a long time since it was going to be restored.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 04:48 (Ref:4093223)   #4333
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For Sale: The Golden Child

Offers from... $2,800,000........
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Jan 2022, 05:27 (Ref:4093226)   #4334
Shiney
Rookie

Australia
West Aus
Well that makes every Torana racecar that has sold over the last two years look pretty cheap!!
Old 11 Jan 2022, 05:32 (Ref:4093229)   #4335
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
For Sale: The Golden Child

Offers from... $2,800,000........
Why does the famous line from The Castle spring to mind?
Old 11 Jan 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4093240)   #4336
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to see it back to VX instead of VY. Everything it’s known for was as a VX. One of the greatest race cars ever made. Closest I’ll ever get is looking at the 1/18 model (VX) on my top shelf…
Old 11 Jan 2022, 10:50 (Ref:4093249)   #4337
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
You could have bought all of HRT when Premoso was under threat 2.8 million times over..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Jan 2022, 11:44 (Ref:4093254)   #4338
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Hehehe Tell him he's dreamin'.... that is exactly what came to my mind when I saw the number being asked.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 14:22 (Ref:4093297)   #4339
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, you would be lucky to find someone willing to spend that much. Why do they need that much anyway?
Old 12 Jul 2022, 09:35 (Ref:4119214)   #4340
cavvy
Veteran

Which car is this with a 120,000 Euros price tag

FORD FALCON V8 SUPERCAR
FACE AV
FACE G
FAC AR
FACE
Description:
FORD V8 SUPERCARS FROM 1999 / IT RACED IN AUSTRALIA, ENGLAND IN GRAHAM NASH TEAM AND IN V DE V, SINCE IT RUNS IN TRACKDAYS BUT MAINTAINED LIKE A RACING CAR,

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...on-v8-supercar
Old 12 Jul 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4119216)   #4341
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

FORD FALCON V8 SUPERCAR
FACE AV
FACE G
FAC AR
FACE
Description:
FORD V8 SUPERCARS FROM 1999 / IT RACED IN AUSTRALIA, ENGLAND IN GRAHAM NASH TEAM AND IN V DE V, SINCE IT RUNS IN TRACKDAYS BUT MAINTAINED LIKE A RACING CAR,

Possibly the one referred to here that went to france - https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...77&postcount=7

More on the car here:
https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/the-fren...percar-falcon/
Old 12 Jul 2022, 14:50 (Ref:4119270)   #4342
S griffin
Veteran

Thanks for the info, nice to know it's been kept alive
Old 12 Jul 2022, 15:28 (Ref:4119285)   #4343
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

FORD FALCON V8 SUPERCAR
FACE AV
FACE G
FAC AR
FACE
Description:

How much for an AU Falcon, I'll give him $10,000 if he delivers it. It is a knackered second rate race car when it was made and nothing more than that.
Old 12 Jul 2022, 22:20 (Ref:4119321)   #4344
Shiney
Rookie

Australia
West Aus
Yeah Nah. For 25 thousand pounds less........ I'll take the Aston thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-13 061123.png
Views:	5
Size:	889.0 KB
ID:	75823
Old 13 Jul 2022, 02:00 (Ref:4119329)   #4345
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
How much for an AU Falcon, I'll give him $10,000 if he delivers it. It is a knackered second rate race car when it was made and nothing more than that.
Thats what everyone was saying about the privateer falcons monaros and
torries in the late 70s and 80s. They just sent them to sims. Now anything that has touched bathurst is unobtainium and priced as such.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 02:59 (Ref:4119330)   #4346
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Thats what everyone was saying about the privateer falcons monaros and
torries in the late 70s and 80s. They just sent them to sims. Now anything that has touched bathurst is unobtainium and priced as such.
Old cars as you say have a value as they were mostly homologated specials and that gave them a pedigree that could not be duplicated by anyone. Sports sedan type race cars like this car can be duplicated by anyone if they so desired, did this thing ever win a race to give it at least some value? Cars such as this that had named drivers and a win record are a different kettle of fish. I guess I don't see the value in old crap just because they are old.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 06:25 (Ref:4119342)   #4347
cavvy
Veteran

Shannons auction

Thanks Casper, how does this look for a $mil:

- Genuine HDT Holden LJ Torana GTR XU-1
- A significant piece of the Peter Brock and Bathurst stories
- Well documented history

One of the most famous Touring Car racers in Australia, this is a genuine Holden Dealer Team (HDT) Torana GTR XU-1 raced by Peter Brock in the 1973 season. With it he was second at Bathurst – after the Torana famously ran out of fuel and had to be pushed up pitlane by co-driver Doug Chivas – and won the Manufacturer’s Championship that year, before being raced in the South Pacific Touring Car Series in early 1974 (alongside the Tasman F5000 series) and winning again. Brock then raced on into the 1974 Australian Touring Car title, wrapping up the crown before switching to the new Torana SL/R5000. Built by HDT Chief Mechanic Ian Tait and team boss Harry Firth, the no-longer-needed LJ Torana was then sold to Holden dealer Graeme Blanchard who raced it in major Touring Car events in the back half of 1974, before it passed into the hands of privateer David Langman who raced it locally for a period. The Torana then disappeared from sight but was rediscovered, in the early-‘90s, sitting on a nature strip in Dandenong (where it had been for a decade!) by Mark Delahoy. Suspecting it was the real deal, Delahoy contacted Ian Tait, who was able to confirm its authenticity, and after some discussion the famous Torana racer was bought by Tait’s son Paul. A thorough restoration was then undertaken, around the original shell, and Tait estimates that around 95 per cent of it is still the original car including the aluminum roll cage, bodyshell and even the custom made Webber’s. In 2006 the XU-1 changed hands again to the current vendor who has enjoyed the vehicle and has had it prepared for competition. As you can see, it is presented in full 1973 HDT livery and sits on the correct Globe Sprintmaster alloy wheels which have been custom made so they can be used in modern competition if the owner wishes. Inside, all the period racing accoutrements are there, including the Bond roll cage, and it is in excellent condition throughout. This ’73 Torana XU-1 Touring Car also comes complete with the original CAMS Log Book, history notes and race results, some photos from the restoration and various magazine articles over the years. It’s an authentic and very important part of Australian motor sport history, and a significant car in Peter Brock’s career. The 1973 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU-1 racer is being offered for sale here unregistered.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...F57QCN5O3P0CC/
Old 13 Jul 2022, 08:53 (Ref:4119359)   #4348
S griffin
Veteran

I'd say that is definitely worth $1 million. Where else can you get that? Great bit of history, with plenty of stories to tell from the early days of the category. It could have easily gone missing forever, but they managed to track it down and keep it in good shape. Whoever gets that is one lucky guy. Plenty to get excited about
Old 13 Jul 2022, 09:07 (Ref:4119362)   #4349
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neat little jigger.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 13:48 (Ref:4119394)   #4350
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Casper, how does this look for a $mil:

- Genuine HDT Holden LJ Torana GTR XU-1
- A significant piece of the Peter Brock and Bathurst stories
- Well documented history

One of the most famous Touring Car racers in Australia, this is a genuine Holden Dealer Team (HDT) Torana GTR XU-1 raced by Peter Brock in the 1973 season. With it he was second at Bathurst – after the Torana famously ran out of fuel and had to be pushed up pitlane by co-driver Doug Chivas – and won the Manufacturer’s Championship that year, before being raced in the South Pacific Touring Car Series in early 1974 (alongside the Tasman F5000 series) and winning again. Brock then raced on into the 1974 Australian Touring Car title, wrapping up the crown before switching to the new Torana SL/R5000. Built by HDT Chief Mechanic Ian Tait and team boss Harry Firth, the no-longer-needed LJ Torana was then sold to Holden dealer Graeme Blanchard who raced it in major Touring Car events in the back half of 1974, before it passed into the hands of privateer David Langman who raced it locally for a period. The Torana then disappeared from sight but was rediscovered, in the early-‘90s, sitting on a nature strip in Dandenong (where it had been for a decade!) by Mark Delahoy. Suspecting it was the real deal, Delahoy contacted Ian Tait, who was able to confirm its authenticity, and after some discussion the famous Torana racer was bought by Tait’s son Paul. A thorough restoration was then undertaken, around the original shell, and Tait estimates that around 95 per cent of it is still the original car including the aluminum roll cage, bodyshell and even the custom made Webber’s. In 2006 the XU-1 changed hands again to the current vendor who has enjoyed the vehicle and has had it prepared for competition. As you can see, it is presented in full 1973 HDT livery and sits on the correct Globe Sprintmaster alloy wheels which have been custom made so they can be used in modern competition if the owner wishes. Inside, all the period racing accoutrements are there, including the Bond roll cage, and it is in excellent condition throughout. This ’73 Torana XU-1 Touring Car also comes complete with the original CAMS Log Book, history notes and race results, some photos from the restoration and various magazine articles over the years. It’s an authentic and very important part of Australian motor sport history, and a significant car in Peter Brock’s career. The 1973 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU-1 racer is being offered for sale here unregistered.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...F57QCN5O3P0CC/
I can still see Doug pushing that car into the pits and everyone willing him on.

It is worth whatever it is worth....how long is a bit of string? Cars seem to be in demand as investments and every overpriced super car seems to be sold by invitation only so the market is strong. Rimac just sold the first years production run of their version of the supercar for four million each and it is not a one off like Brock's car but it does have 1995HP!!

https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports...ficially-here/