Old 18 Feb 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3369822)   #26
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
In Sketchup things don't "snap" to the terrain.

The most simple topography is plateau designs. Level sections of circuit linked by uphill and downhill straights.

The second option is to have the circuit flat but add in small hills or scenery, around it, the circuit my still be flat but you give the impression of elevation.

Anything more than that gets really complicated and time consuming
... and that's where BTB comes into the picture
Old 19 Feb 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3370205)   #27
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
... and that's where BTB comes into the picture
I seriously wonder how you guys find enough time to work on your pieces of art. I just don't seem to have the time, otherwise I'd probably asked for software recommendations and other advice already. Back in the day when I found this board, I was seriously bored but now, my other interests keep me busy. Hence the lack of new hand-drawn circuit designs from me. I have a few raw ideas / concepts for circuits which I haven't looked at in years, such as the skislope circuit, built in a former mountain downhill skiing resort where it just didn't snow anymore for a couple of years. But I digress.
May I ask you how much time you spend on your circuit design, compared to other interests? Thanks for info.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3370233)   #28
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I seriously wonder how you guys find enough time to work on your pieces of art. I just don't seem to have the time, otherwise I'd probably asked for software recommendations and other advice already. Back in the day when I found this board, I was seriously bored but now, my other interests keep me busy. Hence the lack of new hand-drawn circuit designs from me. I have a few raw ideas / concepts for circuits which I haven't looked at in years, such as the skislope circuit, built in a former mountain downhill skiing resort where it just didn't snow anymore for a couple of years. But I digress.
May I ask you how much time you spend on your circuit design, compared to other interests? Thanks for info.
Well, it all depends on how much time i have. Lately (the last year or so) I've had much less time than before. And BTB takes quite some time.

Also, having spent so much time here, and seeing so many thracks, participating in so many discussions about different aspects of track design changed so many things... Before, I saw all the good things about my designs and concepts - now I see all the bad things... why this wouldn't work, why that wouldn't work...

This, together with the dramatic fall of active participation here, no wonder I've been doing it less and less.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3370238)   #29
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The wiggly line takes seconds, the inspiration or correct looking wiggly line takes longer. once happy, sketchup gets you your basic outline pretty quickly using the offfset.
It's when you then start to add in circuit furniture like run-off and gravel traps that it can become tedious so 20 minutes here or 30 minutes there.
That's why recently I've not posted many what I'd call complete circuits.

Having said that I'm putting the finishing touches to one at the moment that only made it to that stage due to my being off work at the moment.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3370240)   #30
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Viperion101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ocala Racing Club

A 2.87-mile track located outside of Ocala, FL. Its primary use would be as a club track (and could be part of a country club), but it could be used for racing as well. Runs clockwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Ocala Racing Club.jpg   ORC_2.jpg   ORC_3.jpg  

Old 20 Feb 2014, 01:46 (Ref:3370241)   #31
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I spend some, not all, of my free time on circuit design. I'm still in high school and I swim, so practice and homework gets in the way as well.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 03:28 (Ref:3370257)   #32
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Circuito del Mediterraneo

A 3.0-mile clockwise circuit located on the Mediterranean Coast of Italy, not far from Rome. The grandstand designs I got from the 3D Warehouse, and I painted them with the Italian Flag colors.
Attached Thumbnails
CDM_1.jpg   CDM_2.jpg  
Old 21 Feb 2014, 00:30 (Ref:3370565)   #33
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
The wiggly line takes seconds, the inspiration or correct looking wiggly line takes longer.
That's interesting - because it's completely different with me: I remember in the early days, I had blot shapes in my head, sketched them on paper and then refined them.

But as the years went by, I m ore and more moved on from starting from general blot shapes and then refining them, and took on starting by one or two connected sections, and kept adding new sections until a closed circuit apepared. I might upload some of my initial pen sketches - they almost always look like a couple of different tracks sketched on each other - because there are some sections that never worked, so I discarded them - but no earsing ink lines So, my initial freehand trackline sketches mostly look like nonfigurative art really

But,. the main thing is that while earlier I started from the blot shape and went on refining it, nowadays I start from seperate sections and try to find a way to join them into a single circuit. So, at the end, the blot shape of my tracks is a surprise to me most of the time
Old 21 Feb 2014, 23:31 (Ref:3370843)   #34
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Syracuse Motorsports Park

A 3.68-mile, counterclockwise, circuit located in Syracuse, which is in upstate New York. It could be used as a open circuit for testing, as well as a racetrack, for F1, Indy, and Touring Cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Syracuse_1.jpg   Syracuse_2.jpg   Syracuse_3.jpg  

Old 22 Feb 2014, 03:38 (Ref:3370886)   #35
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Modesto Raceway Park

A 2.46-mile, clockwise track located in Modesto, California. Would be used for Touring Cars, Rolex/Grand Am/United Sports Car, and Indy. The bridge would be used for vehicles entering and exiting the paddock area.
Attached Thumbnails
Modesto_1.jpg   Modesto_2.jpg   Modesto_3.jpg  

Old 23 Feb 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3371161)   #36
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Mid-America Motor Club and Race Resort

A motor club racetrack and race resort located in Sandusky, Ohio. It features a 3.35-mile main track, a 1.15-mile kart track, a clubhouse, a hotel, and a garage with car storage. The cars are a Lamborghini Murcielago, a SRT Viper, and a Ferrari 612 Scagletti (these came from the Google 3d Warehouse).
Attached Thumbnails
Mid America Motor Club_1.jpg   MAMC-Clubhouse and Front Straight.jpg   MAMC-Paddock and Garage.jpg  

MAMC-Lambo.jpg   MAMC-Hotel.jpg   MAMC-Viper and Ferrari.jpg  

Old 26 Feb 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3372244)   #37
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Looks terrific! Great flow.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3372360)   #38
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 21st and 22nd Feb tracks are great! Again, I can see improvements in every design, nice job!
Old 28 Feb 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3373005)   #39
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Vero Beach Raceway

A 3.58-mile, clockwise track located in Vero Beach, FL.
Attached Thumbnails
VeroBeach_1.jpg   VeroBeach_2.jpg   VeroBeach_3.jpg  

Old 28 Feb 2014, 04:23 (Ref:3373006)   #40
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Does my last track, or any of them for that matter, look a bit "Tilke-esque"? I think my last one looks a lot like Malaysia
Old 28 Feb 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3373101)   #41
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperion101 View Post
Does my last track, or any of them for that matter, look a bit "Tilke-esque"? I think my last one looks a lot like Malaysia
For me, the last one you posted looks a bit like Mugello
Old 28 Feb 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3373296)   #42
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperion101 View Post
I spend some, not all, of my free time on circuit design. I'm still in high school and I swim, so practice and homework gets in the way as well.
Thanks for letting me know. When I first joined this board, I was at uni and mainly posted old designs or reworkings of old designs which I had designed with pencil and paper, old style, during when I was still in school.
But now ... work and other interests have let my focus slowly move away from track design.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 18:52 (Ref:3373298)   #43
Yannick
Veteran

You have posted some real beauties lately. I'm impressed. Syracuse is my favourite but I would prefer to run it in clockwise direction, with the runoff areas adjusted accordingly. And the best thing: all of these tracks flow well. Thank you for your contribution.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 23:39 (Ref:3373389)   #44
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You seem to chop and change between allowing a paddock. Those without seem to suggest any straight will do.

I'm curious do you think of the pit and paddock during the initial designing?
Old 1 Mar 2014, 02:13 (Ref:3373436)   #45
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Quote:
You seem to chop and change between allowing a paddock. Those without seem to suggest any straight will do.

I'm curious do you think of the pit and paddock during the initial designing?
Most of my tracks have a pit paddock. It is the building across from the grandstands. I may have called it a garage because that's what they are called here in America.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 04:33 (Ref:3373462)   #46
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
CopenhagenRing

A 3.31-mile clockwise track located in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Attached Thumbnails
Copenhagen_1.jpg   Copenhagen_2.jpg   Copenhagen_3.jpg  

Old 1 Mar 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3373554)   #47
bio
Veteran

Hungary
A very good mix of fast and technical sections.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3373630)   #48
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
You misunderstand, I can see that you have the pit lane and garages, that I meant with paddock is the area usually immediately behind where the teams trucks park, where the support category work at the side of their transporters under an awning. This is where the medical centre and such like are located in the real world.

Modesto has the traditional version, MidAmerica a slightly different version, but Syracuse, Vero beach don't have any space. Copenhagen and Mediterraneo have space to add the paddock area.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3373638)   #49
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before visiting the various UK circuits and walking around the paddocks I completely underestimated the room required for all the competitors, shops, conveniences, medical center etc, it probably showed in my earlier designs. It's important to remember to leave plenty of space when initially sketching out the circuit to ensure that the paddock is not an afterthought.

another nice one, by the way.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3373647)   #50
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Quote:
You misunderstand, I can see that you have the pit lane and garages, that I meant with paddock is the area usually immediately behind where the teams trucks park, where the support category work at the side of their transporters under an awning. This is where the medical centre and such like are located in the real world.

Modesto has the traditional version, MidAmerica a slightly different version, but Syracuse, Vero beach don't have any space. Copenhagen and Mediterraneo have space to add the paddock area.
Oh! That's what you mean. Yes, some of my tracks have them, but I need to start making them in the future.

Here's Copenhagen and Mediterraneano with paddocks:
Attached Thumbnails
Copenhagen_Paddock.jpg   Mediterraneo_Paddock.jpg  

Last edited by Viperion101; 1 Mar 2014 at 15:15.