Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 21 Dec 2014, 04:31 (Ref:3486817)   #1
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turn 1 Hairpins

I just want to hear everyone's opinion on hairpins as turn 1. I was playing NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed at Miami Bayfront Park Loop, which has an awful T1 hairpin, and I wanted to see if anyone here could find a way to make a T1 hairpin without it being a lap 1 wreckfest.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3486866)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The latest incarnation of the Hungaroring, is the least crash fest.
It's a relatively large radius corner, but as its only about 150 degrees with the kink that the completes the 180.

Nurburgring is similar in that it's not a full 180, but it's on a much shorter radius which means only one apex point, but different lines to it, that results in contact .

Spa is even tighter virtually a zero radius, the apex is ignored with the contact happening on squaring up and I finding your own space on the exit.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3486905)   #3
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The latest incarnation of the Hungaroring, is the least crash fest.
It's a relatively large radius corner, but as its only about 150 degrees with the kink that the completes the 180.

Nurburgring is similar in that it's not a full 180, but it's on a much shorter radius which means only one apex point, but different lines to it, that results in contact .

Spa is even tighter virtually a zero radius, the apex is ignored with the contact happening on squaring up and I finding your own space on the exit.
I can't speak for the Hungaroring, but I have a few laps down at the new Nurburgring and Spa. The thing about those corners is they have ample run-off, and having a lot of camber (though not obvious from above) they make it less of a crapshoot. I have had wrecks in both though (almost always the person behind me missing the braking point).

Youtube the Miami Bayfront Park Loop in Shift 2 and you'll see the horror show, unbanked, at a street circuit, 30-40 mph usually (haven't driven a GT car there) after the longest straight on the course. Bravo Slightly Mad.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 21:40 (Ref:3486986)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not a particular fan of street circuits, and any that contains a zero radius 180 degree hairpin around the central reservation of a road even if it's 4 or 5 lanes in each direction is asking for trouble.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3486994)   #5
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I'm not a particular fan of street circuits, and any that contains a zero radius 180 degree hairpin around the central reservation of a road even if it's 4 or 5 lanes in each direction is asking for trouble.
You're telling me.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 06:48 (Ref:3487806)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we've discussed that before, IMHO making t1 any kind of hard braking or overtaking spot is asking for trouble. The circuit will be prone to accidents by "design". I like better to have a couple of flowing turns before the first overtaking spot, that kind of spreads out the field at those very first and most dangerous moments of a race.
Old 8 Jan 2015, 14:19 (Ref:3490971)   #7
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Here we go again.

http://www.racingcircuits.info/south...l#.VK6SOSvF-h8
Old 25 Aug 2017, 02:25 (Ref:3761446)   #8
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Not as bad, as it is Formula E, but still, point taken.

Since this one was referenced, I thought I'd move it up the queue.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3761536)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sepang turn 1 is good, but it's followed by a switchback.
Shanghai turn 1 is an even more extreme example, with 270 degrees.

Suzuka turn 1 probably doesn't count as a hairpin, but it's a good too.
Motegi has a good turn 1 as well.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 00:59 (Ref:3761622)   #10
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, Suzuka starts off with a couple of sweepers.

Motegi starts off with what amounts to a fairly open double-right, which is a bit less than two 90-degree turns back-to-back.

Looking at the post before mine, I guess AoB got demoralized when he saw the layouts for the Hong Kong and Brooklyn Formula E circuits.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 04:52 (Ref:3762216)   #11
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Don't f*cking remind me! (Can I get away with that for effect, SBF?)
Old 30 Aug 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3763064)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Was at Knockhill the other weekend where the whole meeting was run on the British licensed reverse direction of the International Grade 3 circuit. Knockhill is the only circuit in the UK with a license to run events in both directions.

Going the wrong way it's a down hill entry into the T1 hairpin, where the apex literally drops away from under you..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0005.JPG   IMG_0008.JPG   IMG_0009.jpg  

IMG_0010.jpg   IMG_0598.jpg  
Old 31 Aug 2017, 00:09 (Ref:3763068)   #13
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
yeah, about that.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 02:14 (Ref:3765568)   #14
kerb
Racer

Australia
canberra
kerb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok, so you don't like T1 hairpins. but how do you feel about T1 sweepers and T2 hairpins?
Old 30 Sep 2020, 10:14 (Ref:4007548)   #15
Carson Hayes
Rookie

United States
Tampa, FL
Carson Hayes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"ok, so you don't like T1 hairpins. but how do you feel about T1 sweepers and T2 hairpins?"
I have no favorites, but if you're going to ask about my personal bias, I'd rather go for the T2 hairpins.