Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 28 Jan 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3608814)   #51
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I should have given a finish time and date so you have a week Thursday 4th Feb at 23:00 GMT
Old 28 Jan 2016, 20:46 (Ref:3608820)   #52
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you give us a little more specifics about what you need for "circuit", "school", and "track days"? Specific lengths or features you need to see?
Old 28 Jan 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3608823)   #53
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaru View Post
Can you give us a little more specifics about what you need for "circuit", "school", and "track days"? Specific lengths or features you need to see?
I would expect that there will be more than one track layout with at least two options as to what circuit to use as the owner will like to be able to run two activities at the same time.
I don't know if you have track days in the states but they are where you can bring your road (or race car) and practice your driving skills on a race track normally with others unless you have lots of money so that you can play on your own.

However I would like people to use their imagination.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 22:15 (Ref:3608871)   #54
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wolfhound, you have asked about this location previously. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145830

MSV's plans include a hotel development and keeping the runway alive as a private airfield.

without knowing much more such a challenge is difficult in the extreme
Old 28 Jan 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3608885)   #55
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Wolfhound, you have asked about this location previously. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145830

MSV's plans include a hotel development and keeping the runway alive as a private airfield.

All I was looking for is a track layout with a few options.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3609042)   #56
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

It's a fantasy. Lay out whatever you like. Maybe use up some of the existing roads, re-purpose the hangars into a paddock or a hotel.
Old 2 Feb 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3610997)   #57
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Hopefully I'm not the only entrant here. I've got a set of 4 tracks all utilizing the same areas. Races can't be run simultaneously, though, because the circuits do overlap each other a bit. Enjoy!

I think the area around the Oval can be repurposed as a hotel, sort of like what you see in Sector 3 as Yas Marina. I didn't have a good idea where to put the pit lane, as we'd obviously need more than one depending on which circuit was in use. But I'm assuming that the long straight on the west taxiway would be a good place, with its entrance just ahead of the 90-degree bend. Circuit runs anti-clockwise, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
GP.jpg   Intl.jpg   Natl.jpg  

Oval.jpg  
Old 2 Feb 2016, 23:25 (Ref:3611069)   #58
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps not quite what was asked for but here we go

Area for the 1km oval
Click image for larger version

Name:	msv1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	46702

This is a 1km aero straight , new additions would include turning areas at each end.

Name:	msv2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	46703

This is the 5km main circuit. It runs anti-clockwise so as drawn the pit straight goes up into the first sequence of corners.before running back parallel peeling off around the end of the runway. The pitlane isn't the biggest but the hanger area to the real is the real paddock space with resident track cars housed in the various hangers.

Name:	msv3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	46704

Finally the roadways in this area don't lend themselves that easily to racing, so I'm designating this the driving school/road handling course and rally areas.

Name:	msv4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	46705

This leaves the administrative side of the base for hotel and conference spaces, all the while leaving the runway open.
Old 3 Feb 2016, 13:52 (Ref:3611228)   #59
rubaru
Rookie

United States
I guess I should note that I'm just guessing on the length of my track. I used a google maps screen shot and drew my track in AutoCAD. I didn't have a real guideline on scale or anything, so I might be way off. Comparing my GP track at 6.3km to ScotBrut's track at 5.0km, mine is probably longer than that. Maybe even closer to 7km.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 15:50 (Ref:3611607)   #60
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Just verified it with gmap-pedometer:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6794042

Says it's 7.66km...makes it longer than Spa.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 18:57 (Ref:3611654)   #61
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaru View Post
Just verified it with gmap-pedometer:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6794042

Says it's 7.66km...makes it longer than Spa.
That's a long way around for such a flat landscape...
Old 5 Feb 2016, 14:10 (Ref:3611918)   #62
rubaru
Rookie

United States
@wolfhound do you want to call a winner? I'd gladly give it up to SKG since I'm way over in length.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3612075)   #63
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I think I will give it to ScotsBrutesFan although I was also impressed by rubaru's options. If it was me I would have designed the 2 smaller tracks so that they could have been used together. I have no issue with a long track once it is practical. SBF layout gives a greater variety of uses that can all be used at the same time.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3612495)   #64
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'll come up with something in the next day or so.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 23:21 (Ref:3613224)   #65
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
OK blank sheet of paper folks....it's fantasy time.

I want you to come up with a 2.5-3 mile (4.0-4.8km) Grade 2 circuit. The circuit together with it's operating partner a concert/event/exhibition venue of your general design must be capable of operating together and independently (for lesser track events) - with separate but linked together car parking.

Your main viewing area for the circuit must be linked by either a concourse or pedestrian bridge to the covered venue.

The idea being that the during for example a 24 hour race, or better yet a Carshow (Autosports International) type of event where spectators could go between the exhibition space and the circuit to view demo runs etc..

Or alternatively, a Saturday Racing can run until 5pm using one section of the carpark for spectators, whilst crowds start to arrive into their area of the car parks for a big concert starting at 7pm

Hopefully I've explained that well enough, I'm not looking for great architectural event venues just something to indicate comparative size and location.

Any questions Ask, lets give this plenty of time and say Friday week, that's the 19th, judging starts on the 20th.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 14:16 (Ref:3613369)   #66
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Did you have a specific location in mind?
Old 9 Feb 2016, 23:54 (Ref:3613511)   #67
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Nope it's a blank sheet of paper,
You won't want the main track viewing areas and the venue too far apart, but at the same time I am looking for indications of car parking, so I don't want to limit the area used by suggesting a real world location.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 16:59 (Ref:3614862)   #68
rubaru
Rookie

United States
This doesn't seem to be terribly popular. :/
Old 15 Feb 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3614953)   #69
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I am working on something but I don't know when I will finish.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3614963)   #70
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I gave it a long lead time because I knew it was asking a lot.

If there are to be any entries I'm not expecting anything before Thursday or Friday itself.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:29 (Ref:3615066)   #71
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll take a crack at this!
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:47 (Ref:3615075)   #72
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Already have my inner city location picked, large lakeside brownfield site
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3615106)   #73
Bcarr6
Veteran

Knocked this one up quickly this morning.

South side of Chicago, only 10-15 mins from centre of the city, lakefront position on an old steelworks site.

As you can see there's an existing four lane road going through the site, with space in the top left big enough for a national stadium (checked size compared to Chicago football stadium).

There's also a couple of interesting waterways to wot around, you could totally get the Yas Marina effect with Chicago flavour.

A couple of things to ignore: firstly there's a proposed housing development in the top area, and also for the sake of this fantasy track I guess you have to ignore the housing proximity. This is a deprived area and you could easily redevelop the housing especially bringing in jobs at the venue, hotel and bars &a restaurants.

I wanted to keep all the major roads in place, with only bridge construction and tunnel construction to change the use.

I also wanted to try and use parts of the existing dirt track layout in the top half of the site and I though they make for a cool start.

So here's the track layout, ANTI CLOCKWISE, start finish straight parallel to the pits on the top right.

We start with a long fast left into chicane, followed by another flowing long left and a hard right under the road bridge.

Then we work through the venue complex with a viewing bridge built over the track connecting the venue to grandstands only accessible to venue entrants.

We then have a long straight before a more street style complex of almost ninety degree corners built around a panoramic grandstand.

This is followed by a full acceleration left curve into a set of fast following esses before a short straight leading into a sharp hairpin opening out into the longest straight.

After the hard charge of the long straight, at the end of which we have another viewing bridge coming from the event venue, we go into another quick couple of turns before entering a short oval section broken by a Daytona style chicane leading onto the short start finish straight again.

We have two cut throughs to give shorter options marked in a slightly lighter grey.

I measured the pits against silverstone so there is easily capacity for 60-80 cars for something like a 24hr race.

I also marked in 4 car parks with connecting roads, you could have shuttle buses connecting grandstands, venue and car parks.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3615129)   #74
rubaru
Rookie

United States
I'm going to throw something together, too, but it will be nowhere near as graphically-pleasing as what Bcarr did!!
Old 18 Feb 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3615830)   #75
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Here is my design for this design game.

It features a long track of 4.8km which is shortened by about 0.3km if the outdoor concert area is not used. The short circuit based around the main paddock is about 3.4km long with the second short circuit that can be used for a race school about 1.6km in length.
There is a large area of exhibition halls behind the main grandstand that is linked by an overhead walkway to the stand and the hospitality units above the pits.
Above this walkway is race control
There is also an enclosed walkway between the exhibition halls and the stands around the first corner outdoor concert area. This outdoor concert area would use a removable stage area in the center of the corner.
There is also access to the main paddock area via a vehicle tunnel under the track. There are three car parks laid out around the exhibition area that can be used separately or together depending on what events are taking place.
You could in theory have a number of events on in the exhibition halls, the two race tracks and the outdoor concert area being all used on the one day all with different activities.
Attached Thumbnails
Track 12.1.png   Track 12.2.png   Track 12.3.png  

Track 12.4.png   Track 12.5.png   Track 12.6.png