Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 29 Jan 2016, 23:40 (Ref:3609169)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SBF 16, 17 & 18 set

End of Jan and my first design

Based on the former airfield on Thorney island, the site is still used by the MOD and is know these days as Baker Barracks.

Split into three sections and shows uniformly at 15.5m wide

The Short circuit denoted by the pale blue route is 2.620km or 1.64 miles

The international circuit denoted by the red short cut is 4.872km or 3.04 miles

The South Circuit denoted by the beige short cut, can be used as a short circuit with the red short cut as well this is 1.82 km or 1.13 miles

The full South Circuit is 3.04km or 1.9 miles

The Full GP circuit is 6.093km or 3.808 miles
Attached Thumbnails
Thorney Circuit top.jpg   Thorney Circuit short.jpg   Thorney CircuitSouth.jpg  

Thorney Circuit twisted.jpg  
Old 17 Apr 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3633565)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been asked a couple,of times about the evolution of some of my multi-layout circuits, well the circuit shown below is an example of how it out, the difference I've remembered to screen grab to show it.

First image shows the original drawing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	lotsloops original.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	47019

In my head I knew it would be an easy split into 2, whether it would be a Short circuit and School circuit or 2 raceable circuits I wasn't sure.
Once I started drawing it, the scale of the back straight (no chicane at this point) suggested 2 racing circuits.

The next stage once I have the original done was to come up with "elegant" short cuts, that would continue the flow of the original parts without necessarily looking like shortcuts. Hopefully I've achieved this.

Name:	lotsloops N and S.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	47020

It was at this point the perimeter idea came to me, firstly the Left hand edge, then the removal of the final chicane, what most might see as the most obvious part across the top was the last section that drew. Looking a the design the option was a very quick left onto the 800m straight, or something to give a slower entry onto the straight.
The chicane was the compromise, In my head I have decided that if you use the left hand perimeter section then you must use the chicane....The reason a lack of run off, due to a land boundary that no amount of fantasy money is going to make the adjacent land owner sell.
For those wanting to use the top section, then they have to use the hairpin which allows for additional run off.

Name:	lotsloops Perimeter.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	47021

Finally with all this in place, that just left the original and shortened first parts of the lapt to join upto the back straight, with the same rules, of full straight and the hairpin or use the chicane and perimeter section. These variations becoming known as International 1 and 2

Name:	lotsloops International.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	47022
Old 20 Apr 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3635222)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I haven't posted much so here is one of the ideas that didn't make it to a finishing point I was happy with.
Attached Thumbnails
april.jpg  
Old 27 Jun 2016, 14:03 (Ref:3655397)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Geez haven't posted since April...

Ok here is a design that I initially came up with but it was too long, so I've adapted it into a modern circuit. I was goingto finish it off, but lets get this posted as is.
Attached Thumbnails
june 15 Original layout.jpg   june 15 Modern GP.jpg   june 15 International.jpg  

june 15 Ext International.jpg   june 15 Endurance.jpg   june 15 National.jpg  

Old 2 Jul 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3656352)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Another quick design ... A straightforward Anticlockwise 5km.
Attached Thumbnails
twisty June dimensions.jpg  
Old 3 Jul 2016, 05:59 (Ref:3656408)   #6
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
#4- I'd rather have the classic section than the back straight hairpin and following section.

#5-seems like a few of the kinks are a little superfluous
Old 26 Aug 2016, 07:45 (Ref:3667631)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Just a few days of August remaining for this design.

Name:	August Top view.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	48207

The shortened version is a proposal that has been suggested as 3.5 miles is a bit long for many local and national series.
For reference the shorter version would be 3.794km or 2.37 miles

Oh I did have a reason for the Mugello kinked front straight but I never wrote it down and can't remember. And if I had more time I'd have added a few grandstands as well.

Some more angles below.
Attached Thumbnails
August pit straight.jpg   August Bottom bend.jpg   August esses annd short.jpg  

August T10.jpg   August pit in.jpg  
Old 27 Aug 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3667908)   #8
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBF, my favourite aspects of your designs is the slightly sketchy pit entries!

Another nice design
Old 28 Aug 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3668149)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'm curious .what do you mean by slightly sketchy....Unsafe?
Old 29 Aug 2016, 11:43 (Ref:3668375)   #10
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Maybe slightly. When I do pit entries, I try to avoid making them curve away from the racing surface, I prefer a single kink away from the track and then a straight section. Also, in general I try not to put any sort of pit lane divider / barrier between the track and the pit lane until the pit lane needs to turn.

The reason for both of these guidelines* is I try to imagine a car trying to enter the pits on slicks on a wet track, and aquaplaning off at pit entry. In some of your more recent designs, the pit lane divider + the curved nature of the pit entries could lead to "tricky situations".

Maybe I'm reading too much into it though!

*There are probably many opportunities where I have broken one or both of my own rules
Attached Images

Old 27 Feb 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3715134)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'll just keep this thread going into 2017 as I didn't do much last year

Running clockwise at a smudge over 5km (3.12 miles)

Name:	25 Feb 17.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	49222
Old 5 Mar 2017, 00:18 (Ref:3716526)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here is another quick design. I've changed computers , I'm now using a Mac with I don't feel is as accurate so there will be less detail until I can find a way to improve things.

Anyway the circuit is clockwise, the short circuit is just on 1.5 miles 2.4km, the perimeter circuit is just under 2 miles 3.15 km with the full circuit at 3.1 miles just under 5km.

Name:	4 Mar 17.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	49244
Old 24 Apr 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3728906)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This multi layout circuit runs from a single pit and paddock complex. It is anti-clockwise

The shortest version shown in white is 2.935km 1.83 miles

Name:	10 Apr 17 short.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	765.8 KB
ID:	49439

The longest (twisty) version in Blue is 5.687km 3.55 miles

Name:	10 Apr 17 long.jpg
Size:	775.3 KB
ID:	49437

The Car GP is 5.654km 3.55 miles shown in Purple

Name:	10 Apr 17 car GP.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	784.0 KB
ID:	49438

The Bike GP is 5.359km 3.35 is in Orange - there is an option to shorten the straight issuing the chicane onto the curve off the straight the difference is about 30m

Name:	10 Apr 17 Bike GP.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	49442

There are several variations on the Green International layout for cars and bikes they all measure approx 2.5-2.7 miles

Name:	10 Apr 17 Int.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	49441
Old 25 Apr 2017, 04:01 (Ref:3729041)   #14
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was the rationale of having the final chicane instead of having the previous corner integrated directly onto the front straight?

I also have qualms about T3 on lap 1, maybe have initial starts on the back straight?
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3729115)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
When originally drawn, the chicane was part of it as a final overtaking point on a circuit that really only had the hairpin and the 90 left off the top as clear cut over taking points. The Aragon like curve cutting off the hairpin and the chicane were add ons. But I realised that the dead stop chicane wouldn't work for bikes, hence the more open final sequence.
Although I have referred to car and bike versions there is nothing to stop categories using which ever version they like.

T3 shouldn't be too bad, whilst T1 and T2 are quite open they would filter for the most part to single file. It would take some ballsy driving to stay 2 wide all the way to T3. There will always be a choke point somewhere on lap one, atleast here it's not T1
Old 26 Apr 2017, 02:50 (Ref:3729218)   #16
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
T3 shouldn't be too bad, whilst T1 and T2 are quite open they would filter for the most part to single file. It would take some ballsy driving to stay 2 wide all the way to T3. There will always be a choke point somewhere on lap one, atleast here it's not T1
OK, I'll give you that. I'd still rather lengthen the run into T3 because my brain says overtaking point there, but that's just me.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 23:05 (Ref:3770406)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Life has been seriously getting in the way of any circuit ideas,

Here's something that I've been adding to at a rate of a few minutes a week !!

The Yellow line indicates how I de the racing line staying well away from the pit exit.

It runs anticlockwise as can be seen from the T1 run off.

Circuit is 4.978km (3.11 miles) long and 19m wide
Attached Thumbnails
12 Sept 17.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 28 Sep 2017 at 23:39.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3770477)   #18
kerb
Racer

Australia
canberra
kerb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yay, finally someone else's content.

I like it
Old 29 Sep 2017, 11:08 (Ref:3770526)   #19
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Ooooh, racing lines for the whole circuit, please! (I know how tricky they are to get right..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerb View Post
yay, finally someone else's content.

I like it
I have precisely seven designs which I've been working on over the past year (to this day in fact, I checked the date on the folder) which I haven't got around to sharing yet #soon.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3770607)   #20
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
I'm just too lazy to start scanning things again
Old 21 Oct 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3775453)   #21
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Probably the most detailed and complete design I've done in a couple of years

Name:	7 Oct 17 comp.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	50627

Name:	7 Oct 17 dims.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	50626

Name:	7 Oct 17 sf.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	873.8 KB
ID:	50628

Name:	7 Oct 17 top.jpg
Size:	652.9 KB
ID:	50629

Name:	7 Oct 17 bot.jpg
Size:	919.2 KB
ID:	50630
Old 23 Oct 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3775793)   #22
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
I have trepidation regarding 5-6-7 about the decel. I have a personal distaste for the Albert Park style 9-10 section, but that's just me. I'm also not sure how I feel about the pit in because there are a few criss-crossing racing lines at that point
Old 7 Nov 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3779277)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here's another from me.

Name:	6 Nov 17.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	50684

There would be a a Tunnels between T1 and T2 with a bridge between T12 and T13 to access the race school paddock. There would also be either a bridge or a tunnel between T15 and T16.
Old 15 May 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3822689)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
4.80 km 3.00 miles Anticlockwise. In a modern style

Name:	May.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	51285
Old 15 May 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3822702)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Even though you say it's in the modern style, this one seems relatively simpler compared to a number of your others. I rather like that this one doesn't have as many extra bits sticking out there. The overall shape seems good, too.