Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Aug 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4071334)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round Seven, Croft 18-19 Sept, Races 19,20&21

First appearing on the BTCC (then BSCC) calendar in 1968, Class winners that day were:
A-Gordon Spice, B-John Fitzpatrick, C-Frank Gardner, D-Roy Pierpoint.

Croft’s history saw a period of time when there was no tarmac surface, and Rallycross was the main category raced at the venue. 1997 saw a major revamp though, and BTCC returned that year with Alain Menu dominating proceedings. Matt Neal also took an Independent win that day and will be hoping for similar success this weekend.
There is a widely held view that the circuit favours RWD cars. This in part due to the Hairpin and tight changes of direction. The first time that constructor NGTC cars raced there though, Honda took a 1st and 3rd, sandwiching the BMW of Collard. The other two races that day also went to FWD machinery.

2013 saw Turkington take two wins and a second, seeming to underline the view that the circuit favours RWD. A feat he almost matched in 2014. 2015 saw a BMW 1-2-3 in the first race, and RWD cars take all three wins. RWD success continued through the rest of the NGTC era, with FWD cars only seemingly getting results in the 3rd race reverse grid. This was the case when the series visited in 2019, with Jordan taking two wins in his BMW, before the Focus of Chilton managed a R3 win, however all changed in 2020 with Cook taking two wins and Turkington getting the only podium for a RWD car that day with a 3rd place in race one.

With the series visiting later in the year again, will this mean the circuit is back as being FWD-friendly again?

At just over 2.1 miles in length, Croft is one of the longer circuits on the BTCC calendar, with a technical nature and tight corners, particularly the final hairpin that sees cars sometimes 3 or 4 abreast coming onto the start/finish straight. Following the recent resurfacing, Jordan set a new Qualifying lap record in 2019 of 1m21.734s, with Turkington setting a race lap record of 1m21.781s in 2020.

Neate is due to return in the Ford, following the two rounds competed by Rivett.

Early weather forecast is for fair conditions on both days, temperature around 15deg.
Old 31 Aug 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4071395)   #2
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ash Sutton for 2 wins
Old 31 Aug 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4071420)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Ash Sutton for 2 wins

As much as a dead cert he was going to win R3 at Oulton, oh wait
Old 31 Aug 2021, 20:31 (Ref:4071425)   #4
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As much as a dead cert he was going to win R3 at Oulton, oh wait
Has Tim Harvey eaten his hat yet?
Old 31 Aug 2021, 20:51 (Ref:4071426)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*insert obligatory "he's eaten everything else" pun*
Old 1 Sep 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4071519)   #6
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
First appearing on the BTCC (then BSCC) calendar in 1968, Class winners that day were:
A-Gordon Spice, B-John Fitzpatrick, C-Frank Gardner, D-Roy Pierpoint.

Croft’s history saw a period of time when there was no tarmac surface, and Rallycross was the main category raced at the venue. 1997 saw a major revamp though, and BTCC returned that year with Alain Menu dominating proceedings. Matt Neal also took an Independent win that day and will be hoping for similar success this weekend.
There is a widely held view that the circuit favours RWD cars. This in part due to the Hairpin and tight changes of direction. The first time that constructor NGTC cars raced there though, Honda took a 1st and 3rd, sandwiching the BMW of Collard. The other two races that day also went to FWD machinery.

2013 saw Turkington take two wins and a second, seeming to underline the view that the circuit favours RWD. A feat he almost matched in 2014. 2015 saw a BMW 1-2-3 in the first race, and RWD cars take all three wins. RWD success continued through the rest of the NGTC era, with FWD cars only seemingly getting results in the 3rd race reverse grid. This was the case when the series visited in 2019, with Jordan taking two wins in his BMW, before the Focus of Chilton managed a R3 win, however all changed in 2020 with Cook taking two wins and Turkington getting the only podium for a RWD car that day with a 3rd place in race one.

With the series visiting later in the year again, will this mean the circuit is back as being FWD-friendly again?

At just over 2.1 miles in length, Croft is one of the longer circuits on the BTCC calendar, with a technical nature and tight corners, particularly the final hairpin that sees cars sometimes 3 or 4 abreast coming onto the start/finish straight. Following the recent resurfacing, Jordan set a new Qualifying lap record in 2019 of 1m21.734s, with Turkington setting a race lap record of 1m21.781s in 2020.

Neate is due to return in the Ford, following the two rounds competed by Rivett.

Early weather forecast is for fair conditions on both days, temperature around 15deg.
I'm so disappointed you didn't mention the return of the knowledgeable Croft crowd.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 23:21 (Ref:4072554)   #7
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to wonder why the resurfacing work at Croft is thought to have reduced any RWD advantage. Could it be less hard on tyres now so the FWD cars can push harder and worry less about managing tyre wear?
Old 8 Sep 2021, 10:11 (Ref:4072585)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Curious how BMW seem to have lost so much pace this season...? The Infinity seems as fast as last season, so i'm sure Sutton will get some good results here. He could practically wrap up the title here if results go his way.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4072620)   #9
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Curious how BMW seem to have lost so much pace this season...? The Infinity seems as fast as last season, so i'm sure Sutton will get some good results here. He could practically wrap up the title here if results go his way.
Didn’t the Chief engineer / designer leave WSR last year?…
Old 9 Sep 2021, 11:54 (Ref:4072775)   #10
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm expecting a driver change next weekend...
Old 9 Sep 2021, 11:56 (Ref:4072776)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I'm expecting a driver change next weekend...
Other than Neate returning - or related to?
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4072777)   #12
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Other than Neate returning - or related to?
Unrelated.

Whether Neate returns seems dependent on how he feels after he tests the car at Brands tomorrow.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:24 (Ref:4072779)   #13
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Halstead replacing by Rick Parfitt.
https://www.btcc.net/2021/09/09/nick...e-up-at-croft/
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4072781)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good luck to Halstead, although I don’t expect him to do any better than Parfitt tbh

Any more news on Plato?
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4072782)   #15
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Good luck to Halstead, although I don’t expect him to do any better than Parfitt tbh
I'd expect him to do substantially worse.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:46 (Ref:4072783)   #16
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can he really do that much worse? Parfitt hasn't scored a point all season.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:58 (Ref:4072786)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Can he really do that much worse? Parfitt hasn't scored a point all season.
Yes, if you look at Jack Sears results.

Parfitt has picked up 157 points in 18 rounds - so if Halstead scores less than 26 Jack Sears points you could make a case for having under-performed Parfitt.

(Parfitt has also picked up 16 points in the Independents' that you could compare Halstead's results with).
Old 9 Sep 2021, 16:18 (Ref:4072826)   #18
Heavyd123
Rookie

Heavyd123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round Seven, Croft 18-19 Sept, Races 19,20&21

Quote:

Any more news on Plato?

What’s happened to Plato? Or is it ‘punch my racer’ thing?
Old 9 Sep 2021, 16:47 (Ref:4072835)   #19
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, he's been a backmarker (even in the Ams) from what I've seen of him in the supports, which is usually him facing backwards. I guess it doesn't really matter for one round, but I find it hard to believe there wasn't a better option!
Old 9 Sep 2021, 23:21 (Ref:4072875)   #20
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
but I find it hard to believe there wasn't a better option!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqdErI9uss
Old 10 Sep 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4072924)   #21
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Mike Bushell has just posted a photo of a BTCC Cupra with his name in the back window. Testing or is someone 'stepping down'?

Last edited by psq43; 10 Sep 2021 at 11:55.
Old 10 Sep 2021, 11:52 (Ref:4072927)   #22
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it really a Team HARD entry if there isn't a revolving door of drivers each weekend? More drivers have been fielded by that team than Dynamics and WSR combined!
Old 10 Sep 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4072965)   #23
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Is it really a Team HARD entry if there isn't a revolving door of drivers each weekend? More drivers have been fielded by that team than Dynamics and WSR combined!
I thought toca put a stop to this a few seasons back when team hard had about 300 different drivers in a season.
Old 10 Sep 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4072967)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
I thought toca put a stop to this a few seasons back when team hard had about 300 different drivers in a season.
Yes - and HARD. have far less driver changes than many make out here. In recent times, Motorbase are probably top of the driver swaps league.
This season (so far) HARD. have had one change from 7 cars. The same can be said of BTC and Excelr8.....
Old 10 Sep 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4072977)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

We’ll see if the Bushell picture means anything or if it’s just something harmless like when people speculated earlier this year