Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Aug 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1383920)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you a motor-racing fan, or a fan of a driver?

A comment in another thread got me thinking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis.B
I was watching JV one lap behind such that I did not pay much attention to what was going at the front of it.

A viewer concentrating on one driver, to the extent they're not following the race overall.

Clearly he's a diehard fan of that driver.

I see myself as a fan of motor-racing in general - and while I have some favoured drivers and teams, I'm not myopic towards any of them.

I try to concentrate on the overall picture - and my main interest will be the race for the win - and wherever there's a good battle.

It's particularly surprising to me someone can virtually ignore a hammer and tongs fight for the lead to concentrate on the midfield - but hey, you pays your money you takes your choice.

So, are you a diehard fan of any particular driver?

Or are you mainly a fan of motor-racing?

Do you focus on the lead/the race as a whole - or do you focus on "your guy/your team?".
Old 16 Aug 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1383927)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I focus mainly on my favourite driver yes, always checking up on his laptimes and position on formulaone.com when he's not in view...

It takes quite some fight at the front for me to divert my attention!
Old 16 Aug 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1383936)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's pretty easy to strike a balance.

Pay most attention to the overall picture but occasionally cast a glance at a favourite driver.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1383943)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I am a fan of motor "racing", that rare phenomenon of one car passing another, this is why I watch motorsport.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1383947)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
I am a fan of motor "racing", that rare phenomenon of one car passing another, this is why I watch motorsport.
Keep watching.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1383948)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a follower of the event, I have driver's that I look out for on the timesheets and in the race - Kimi, Nick H and Button, but I wouldn't describe myself as a driver supporter per se.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1383953)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Racing and overtaking are not necessarily the same thing:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ght=overtaking
Old 16 Aug 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1383964)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess my take is the same as ST's - if a particualr driver I've followed starts racing in a certain series though, I might take more interest in it (but more often than not I will soon take an interest in the races and drivers as a whole, and usually carry on watching it if possible even if that driver leaves) Formula 1 is different though - I pay attention to the dirvers I like, but above all I focus ojn teh race as a whole.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1383972)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am fan of motor racing and look at the overall race, not just one driver. I watch the battle for the lead obviously, but I pay attention to where every single driver is throughout a race really. Its better to see the race unfold in front of your eyes, which you can't really do if your just watching 1 or 2 drivers. I don't really have a favourite driver, im just awe-inspired by the whole spectacle of F1, but I do tend to slightly support the minnows, Minardi, and always have done.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1383977)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Racing and overtaking are not necessarily the same thing:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ght=overtaking
If you read my post within that thread you will see I do think racing and overtaking are indeed the same thing, but thats my viewpoint.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1383983)   #11
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
k-b,

If you read carefully the post from which you took out the excerpt quoted above, you might note that I was in fact making irony responding to Glen with whom I have a bet over JV's future. Anyhow, I am glad to see that I did inspire you for once.

I was a fan of F1 racing before JV came in (see the other previous thread about what made you become an f1 fan). It is true that having a French Canadian (his local basher will always refer to him as a Monéguasque "Monacoian") increased my interest in the sport.

I am watching each race twice (once in English, once in French). I am indeed more concentrated on what JV is doing during the live broadcast. That's why, these days, I have become an expert in identying a distant blue dot as being JV's car. Once the result known, I am more attentive to the actual race when I watch it a second time with the video recorder (replaying the interesting part irrespective of who is involved). I have kept the video of most races where JV figured out well (i.e none for 2004) together with some of the few goods races we have had since 1996.

I am also watching Champs for Andrew Ranger. In other words, I do like motor racing but I need someone to cheer for and he is likely to be Canadian (I was also a fan of Greg Moore).

Last edited by Adam43; 16 Aug 2005 at 20:39.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1383990)   #12
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are certain drivers who i like to see do well, but i wouldn't call myself a fan. As long as i get to see a good race i don't really care who wins.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1383994)   #13
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, im a diehard for some drivers <---- (avatar ) and kimi aswell, but I tend to instinctivley check up on my favoiurite 2 without having to take my eyes off the battles on screen, I can usually watch it and see cars all the way down the field at the same time.

A motor racing fan, and fan of 2 drivers
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1384007)   #14
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a fan of motor racing which is why I rarely watch f1
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1384031)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's nice. When you watch motor racing do you support a driver or are you more a fan of the sport as a whole?
Old 16 Aug 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1384051)   #16
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
That's nice. When you watch motor racing do you support a driver or are you more a fan of the sport as a whole?
I can't really support a driver as a marshal as that can lead to all sorts of accusation. I am a fan of motorsport as whole with NASCAR topping my list
Old 16 Aug 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1384056)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks. I like your independence too. Would you say that was generally the case for marshals? It is possible to be a fan and impartial (or should that be Is it?).
Old 16 Aug 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1384058)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm definately a motorracing fan. I prefer to see intersting things to happen. I cheer for action and demonstrations of skill.

I do however mildly cheer for and against drivers and teams. Nationality doesn't play a roll. Most of the time I cheer for someone when they're the underdog and have shown some potential, etc. For instance I was really happy to see Heidfeld do well this year. I'm happy to see Red Bull, DC (a new man) and Klien beating the big boys. I'm not so happy to see Alonso doing so well when he's not demonstrated anything spectacular beyond what a number of other drivers could do in the same situation.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1384094)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Yeah, I think Alonso has adopted the mantle of Prost in a way, sort of "inheriting" wins rather than racing for them...
Old 16 Aug 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1384099)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a motor racing fan, but I do have favourites in each series I watch. However, if "my" driver is out of the race I'll still be glued to the end.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1384102)   #21
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I do however mildly cheer for and against drivers and teams. Nationality doesn't play a roll.
I have no doubts about your sincerity but it appears to me that mankind is generally influcenced by nationality or regional aspects in its cheering (and analysis) and that there is nothing bad about that.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1384104)   #22
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely more a fan of the sport as a whole than any individual driver and I follow the race itself more than any driver. My interests in drivers changes from race to race and mostly I like to see the underdog do well. I like to see Jacques having a good weekend. Nick has been great to see this year. Great to see Renault so competitive and some of the bigger teams struggling. And so on.

I like change. I like disruption. The unexpected. I like to see the ebb 'n flow of power within the sport from season to season and from weekend to weekend. It's exciting!
Old 16 Aug 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1384111)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Like a lot of people, I have 'favourites' - that's human nature, I think - but in general I love motorsport. I'll watch pretty much anything, from the Monaco GP to Mini Se7ens at a rainy Croft.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1384112)   #24
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Yeah, I think Alonso has adopted the mantle of Prost in a way, sort of "inheriting" wins rather than racing for them...
Please explain what makes you say so? No, forget it. I am on a very short leach with my warning levels indicator at 8 such that I better keep quiet.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1384128)   #25
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am definately not a driver fan. I am a racing fan first but I am also a bit of a Honda geek. Luckly for me Honda competes and wins in many forms of racing!!