Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Dec 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3870528)   #2226
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I can’t see them running those things in the BTCC
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3870531)   #2227
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Interesting that Aiden Moffat Racing have bought the Infinitis, possibly to run in TCT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What's interesting is why has TCT seemingly got some traction and the previous attempt to do something with 'spare' NGTC cars was stillborn?
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3870533)   #2228
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
To be fair it's hard to read sarcasm in text

True but when it comes to the original poster having to explain their comment in a dumbed down way repeatedly to someone who clearly has no idea of concepts such as "snowball in hells chance" or understand irony, rather than draw it out demanding a righteous apology to try and score points, some posters could accept and move on and conversations would flow a lot better
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3870535)   #2229
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I have seen on the facebook page the Merc is still with them currently in a paintshop so unfortunately i think your right. its a shame, we never really got to see what the Infiniti's potential was
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3870536)   #2230
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
What's interesting is why has TCT seemingly got some traction and the previous attempt to do something with 'spare' NGTC cars was stillborn?

I think being bolted onto an existing championship calendar helps, along with next to no restriction about what type of car you can use. but lets see, only 1 confirmed entry so far so may still go nowhere
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3870538)   #2231
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I think being bolted onto an existing championship calendar helps, along with next to no restriction about what type of car you can use. but lets see, only 1 confirmed entry so far so may still go nowhere
Only 1 entry but Moffat must be pretty sure about getting someone into those Infinitis - otherwise buying them makes no sense at all. I suppose Aidan could be driving one of them - he did venture out in TCR UK didn't he so there must be 'spare' funding available to use.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3870540)   #2232
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Only 1 entry but Moffat must be pretty sure about getting someone into those Infinitis - otherwise buying them makes no sense at all. I suppose Aidan could be driving one of them - he did venture out in TCR UK didn't he so there must be 'spare' funding available to use.

Actually wasnt it the Palmers he went into TCR with before pulling out after 2 or 3 rounds? wonder how the deal to obtain the Infiniti's came about from that as the relationship between the Moffats and the Palmers seemed to end badly
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3870559)   #2233
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as i posted yesterday

dont forget bob moffat owns a1 race and restoration, prep company for race and classic cars. so probably prepping them for others to drive as pay drivers. Knowing how Bob is a shrewd businessman he probably made derek palmer snr a offer he could not refuse for the cars, bearing in mind he provided palmer with transport and hospitality trucks during aiden's tcruk outings. when aiden was there it was the 2 laser artics, afterwards it went back to derek's old 5th wheel trailer and navara pickup

the relationship didnt end badly, aiden just got out the series
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:52 (Ref:3870561)   #2234
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I can see one very simple attraction - the number of meetings (five) is a small calendar. The time and financial commitments are therefore massively less than BTCC and TCR UK. Possibly even less than Clios?

So you have an opportunity to race machinery comparable to current BTCC cars thus putting yourself in the shop window relatively cheaply in motorsport terms.

Potentially both Infinitis, the Dynamics FK2, I suspect the Norlin FK2's, possibly some Avensi - the #HARD cars and Speedworks cars - are eminently suitable.

We have the makings of a nice stepping stone to touring cars.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3870562)   #2235
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
He doesn't need more sponsors, look in to it he's well off enough to not need any sponsors, its the kids that need them.
In terms of absolute need, then no he doesn't need more sponsors.

But in terms of how much he is budgeting on, then more sponsors are required for all 3 Collards to compete at the level they hope for.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3870564)   #2236
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
the relationship didnt end badly, aiden just got out the series
Aidan was hacked off with two things in particular:

1. The car. It was, and still is, dismal. No reflection on Palmer, the Alfa was developed on a limited budget by a not very good Italian outfit. There was no manufacturer involvement.

2. The series organisers and 'penalty gate' where they demonstrated ineptitude and contempt for the competitors.

I imagine Aidan had high hopes for silverware and quickly realised there wasn't a hope. Should have got a Golf or Civic!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3870565)   #2237
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Potentially both Infinitis, the Dynamics FK2, I suspect the Norlin FK2's, possibly some Avensi - the #HARD cars and Speedworks cars - are eminently suitable.

We have the makings of a nice stepping stone to touring cars.
what about Sherman and Panzer ? supposedly they are in storage

if Rob Austin doesn't get a BTCC seat maybe time to race one of those himself again

and one of the Dan Welch Proton survived ?

and the ex BTC Norlin Chevies
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3870567)   #2238
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Well we do need some tail end Charlies!

Maybe add a Subaru or two, I believe Linesy has at the very least tested one.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3870570)   #2239
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Can we keep this thread BTCC related and not get sidetracking with TCT. Start a separate thread if necessary
Old 15 Dec 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3870571)   #2240
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In terms of absolute need, then no he doesn't need more sponsors.

But in terms of how much he is budgeting on, then more sponsors are required for all 3 Collards to compete at the level they hope for.

That depends on the level they want and the plant business.

But who knows as I said last I heard he wasn't cleared to race and was looking at ploughing the cash into the boys, but it might have changed since then,
Atm the only people are rob and wsr.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3870574)   #2241
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
That depends on the level they want and the plant business.

But who knows as I said last I heard he wasn't cleared to race and was looking at ploughing the cash into the boys, but it might have changed since then,
Atm the only people are rob and wsr.
And anyone who read Rob's comments.
"In a perfect world, we’d be able to bring more sponsors onboard to make sure that both me and Ricky can be on the BTCC grid."

The level they want is BTCC for Rob and Ricky, and that requires more budget than the current sponsorship package provides.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 23:28 (Ref:3870594)   #2242
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
The level they want is BTCC for Rob and Ricky, and that requires more budget than the current sponsorship package provides.

Is this confirmed for Ricky? I thought he was looking more to GT's than BTCC, he was fortunate to get the drive because of Robs problems (and I think he did really well) but I dont know if that's his real plan
Old 16 Dec 2018, 06:46 (Ref:3870620)   #2243
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I heartily enjoy this thread even though I’ve got little to contribute due to my limited knowledge of BTCC. Sad to see Collard gone and really thought Ricky would take his seat next year.

Anyone know roughly how much a team spends to enter a car or team in the full series these days?
Old 16 Dec 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3870627)   #2244
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Is this confirmed for Ricky? I thought he was looking more to GT's than BTCC, he was fortunate to get the drive because of Robs problems (and I think he did really well) but I dont know if that's his real plan
Not sure if it's the long term plan for Ricky. But in 2018, Rob said it was their 2019 plan to have him on the grid if possible, and that they were looking at options for Ricky to get a drive, but that might be away from WSR....

'Ricky – potentially GT3 or maybe the BTCC. […] I’ve already had other [BTCC] teams who have approached me to ask about Ricky for next year, so you never know'
Old 16 Dec 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3870640)   #2245
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I heartily enjoy this thread even though I’ve got little to contribute due to my limited knowledge of BTCC. Sad to see Collard gone and really thought Ricky would take his seat next year.

Anyone know roughly how much a team spends to enter a car or team in the full series these days?
Drives are normally ‘available’ from £150k to £500+k depending on car, team sponsorship etc.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3870642)   #2246
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not sure if it's the long term plan for Ricky. But in 2018, Rob said it was their 2019 plan to have him on the grid if possible, and that they were looking at options for Ricky to get a drive, but that might be away from WSR....

'Ricky – potentially GT3 or maybe the BTCC. […] I’ve already had other [BTCC] teams who have approached me to ask about Ricky for next year, so you never know'
It's also expected that Ricky will not be a BMW junior after the new year.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3870643)   #2247
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I wonder how long it will be before Rob is no longer a 'BMW Brand Ambassador'?
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3870645)   #2248
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I thought GT was the future for Ricky too especially with the tie up with BMW. But if he’s left BMW then I guess anything’s possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Drives are normally ‘available’ from £150k to £500+k depending on car, team sponsorship etc.

If that’s for a season that’s cheap even at a mid range between those two numbers-well compared to Supercars down here where you’d be looking at seven figures for even a tail end seat. The cars in BTCC are cheaper to buy and run so I guess that makes a difference.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3870680)   #2249
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
you wont get much for 150k, look at 40k per race weekend, plus pre season testing, plus any serious shell damage, plus entry fees and hotels. okay a lot of drivers and teams either own or hire rv's for the season so there is at least 70k for a decent motorhome. it does vary though. even in the support series there is some who have the big rv down to some in a 25 year old touring caravan. these guys spend as much time on the road as they do at home so a comfy bed is a must
Old 16 Dec 2018, 20:14 (Ref:3870707)   #2250
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Ricky is too old to be a BMW Junior now.