Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 May 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2465713)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Was North Weald ever used as a track?

It's all in the title

Thanks in advance,

Selby
Old 20 May 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2465722)   #2
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from http://www.northwealdairfield.org/History/history.html

Quote:
However, apart from aviation, North Weald has developed into to be a base for many activities, including the regular Saturday Market (the UK's biggest) a range of sports such as cycling, archery, gymnastics, model aircraft flying, model car racing and varies motorsports. It is also the venue for rallies and concerts. See the activities section for more details.
and the Activities page does show a few motorsport activities - towards the bottom of the page.
Old 20 May 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2465773)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to a sprint there about 1961.Since then a few airshows-not since they closed the Central Line Epping- Ongar section I think.
Old 20 May 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2465984)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I go there a few times a year for sprinting and an autosolo - they do lots of "car days" there - not sure what they are exactly but think a friend went for some sort of car handling / trackday like thing. Was last there at the beginning of April, is cool to compete and see a spitfire flying by I've never heard any mention of it being used as a track but it would be well before my time I expect! Out of interest, why do you ask?
Old 20 May 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2466007)   #5
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think so - certainly, it isn't listed in Peter Swinger's book 'Motor Racing Circuits in England: Then and Now'.
Old 20 May 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2466065)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Most of the old airfields were used to race cars or bikes around the perimeter roads normally by the airforce/army guys living there. And as we know several carried on and ran proper races and still do today. I have never heard or read about any open races organised at North Weald so the answer is probably no.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 May 2009, 06:51 (Ref:2466169)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I don't think so - certainly, it isn't listed in Peter Swinger's book 'Motor Racing Circuits in England: Then and Now'.
Depends how you interpret the original questionDoes not seem to have been used for a circuit race meeting for cars.I think it might have been used for bikes,but maybe I was thinking of Biggin Hill? Sprints eg: one at a time, it seems are still held.
Old 21 May 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2466181)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
They have also had drag races there. Would'nt it be wonderful if it was used as a circuit so close to London, such a waste. Actually talking about racing around old airfields, in my yoof a whole gang of us used to race our motorcyles around the perimeter road and down the main runway of Hendon Aerodrome now sadly Graham Park Estate and the RAF Museum, man that was fun especially with a sidecar outfit!
Old 21 May 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2466388)   #9
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Mick Walker's book it was used once for motor cycle racing 27 June 1946. 3.2 miles using perimeter. Harold Daniell wo the main race.
RAP
Old 22 May 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2466903)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I go there a few times a year for sprinting and an autosolo - they do lots of "car days" there - not sure what they are exactly but think a friend went for some sort of car handling / trackday like thing. Was last there at the beginning of April, is cool to compete and see a spitfire flying by I've never heard any mention of it being used as a track but it would be well before my time I expect! Out of interest, why do you ask?
I saw it mentioned in another topic, and I happen to live about 10 minutes away from it It was purely just out of interest..

And thank you, RAP!

Selby
Old 22 May 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2466955)   #11
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP View Post
According to Mick Walker's book it was used once for motor cycle racing 27 June 1946. 3.2 miles using perimeter. Harold Daniell wo the main race.
RAP
Thanks for the heads up on the book (British Motorcycle Racing Circuits Since 1907: England, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland) - I'm more a car racing person, but this sounds really interesting.
Old 22 May 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2466960)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I'd love to find out a bit more!

Selby
Old 30 May 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2472167)   #13
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following on from Al's post; wasn't North Weald the location of the first ever drag race in the UK
Old 31 May 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2472497)   #14
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I'd love to find out a bit more!

Selby
Used once for motorbike racing in June 1946. The circuit was a big irregular cross, 3.2 miles long - imagine racing down each side of the cross on the Swiss flag. If you want any more, buy the excellent Walker book!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2473436)   #15
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
Following on from Al's post; wasn't North Weald the location of the first ever drag race in the UK
I thought it was held at Blackbushe
Old 5 Jun 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2476142)   #16
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly remember going to marshal a couple of rallycross events there (probably in the early 80's?). One was held in the snow and I seem to recall a rear engined NSU doing quite well! I think I saw a Ford RS200 there (Gary Baker's?) at one of the events.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2478969)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Went to a sprint there about 1961.Since then a few airshows-not since they closed the Central Line Epping- Ongar section I think.
off topic... that line runs down the end of some family friends garden in Coopersale, apparently its been re-opened for a Heritage Railway, but its a deisel one not steam, which is a nice change of pace.

Carry on!
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2478971)   #18
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesholland View Post
I thought it was held at Blackbushe
My mistake, I understand it was actually Woodvale in Southport and not North Weald, apologies!!