Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3419137)   #351
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
anybody know ..what Marussia & Caterham have to spend to look reasonable?
Caterham F1's 2013 budget was about US$110M. Marussia's 2013 budget was about US$86M.

Compare that with RBR's 2013 budget which in total was about US$396M. And Ferrari about US$421M.

Hass F1's budget in it's first year will most likely be closer to the US$200M mark or more in total I would think.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 10:31 (Ref:3419149)   #352
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm sorry, but what a load of round spherical items in the men's trouser department! No team would enter the championship if the were doomed to fail, so the all believed at one time or another that they would succeed.
It depends on what 'failure' or 'success' means to him. A few hundred million is obviously loose change jangling round in this guy's pocket. So he wants to operate an F1 team from the States and run around at the back of the grid for a few years... or until he's bored with it... what's the problem ?
Old 12 Jun 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3419168)   #353
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Option A) Build a chassis with someone who has some experience in building F1 chassis'. Option B) Build a chassis yourself with no experience what-so-ever in building a F1 chassis. Which sounds like the better plan??

Yes.. a Dallara chassis is never going to be a world beater, but... by partnering up with Dallara for one year, Haas F1 would have gained valuable knowledge and experience when the times comes to build their own chassis in house. Something is better than nothing as they say.
I would have thought that option B would be better in the long run IF they can get in a decent experienced engineering/design team in to do it. I'm not here to defend them though - so everyone on here can carry on with slating them now...

HRT fell out with Dallara over the allgedly poor chassis. It's hard to tell from the outside whether the root of the problem was the Dallara though - more than likely is was also down to not enough cash to develop the thing, or it was done on the cheap in the first place.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 11:42 (Ref:3419169)   #354
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I would have thought that option B would be better in the long run IF they can get in a decent experienced engineering/design team in to do it. I'm not here to defend them though - so everyone on here can carry on with slating them now...

HRT fell out with Dallara over the allgedly poor chassis. It's hard to tell from the outside whether the root of the problem was the Dallara though - more than likely is was also down to not enough cash to develop the thing, or it was done on the cheap in the first place.
I'm guessing a combination? HRT wasn't the wealthiest of teams and Dallara is a business so I'm guessing they want to keep a marginal in order to make some money?
Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3419178)   #355
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Dallara would've made a fine constructor for Haas' purposes. With one of their wagons you'd finish stone last but you would finish. That's what you want in your first year. Presuming your drivers stay out of trouble of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Well I think he'll at least make quite a few fans with this approach, I know I'm definitely warming up to them. Hope they don't go with Danica though..

Results is a completely different matter of course.
I'll be a fan of his when his team gets a working car on the test track. Until then this team does not exist.

I've got a dreadful, sinking feeling Danica Patrick will be targeted by Haas. A little F1 bikini carnival will help pay off a little bit of that budget - at least until the repair invoices come firing in through the letter box.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3419179)   #356
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'm beginning to wonder if all of this talk from Mr Haas is just a smoke & mirrors wind up?
He could have probably already done a deal to buy everything from Ferrari (and even borrow some team members to run the things) but doesn't want to give the game away too soon...
Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3419181)   #357
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I suspect more that HRT was the problem, I suspect they only barely had enough money to meet their contractual obligations and performance was not one of them.

There's a lot of finesse and skill in making one of these things go fast and I felt bad for the drivers of the HRT, it looked pretty evil to drive.

Whether it is aero, suspension/shocks, or electronics these things are highly technical and it wouldn't take much to make a car very difficult to drive anywhere near the limit.

I have to think that going with someone at least established like Dallara
Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:29 (Ref:3419183)   #358
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Campos couldn't pay and indeed had to sell up just before the season started.

Dallara not receiving cash meant they dropped the newly dubbed HRT like a stone and HRT toddled through the season with a chassis that recieved ZERO of the scheduled updates and support from Dallara.

Despite that, that Dallara still had a first class finishing rate.

Dallara is also a proven race winner in sportscars supporting the Audi too. So they aren't a bad port of call for starting out in F1.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3419187)   #359
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if all of this talk from Mr Haas is just a smoke & mirrors wind up?
He could have probably already done a deal to buy everything from Ferrari (and even borrow some team members to run the things) but doesn't want to give the game away too soon...
I don't think it's a wind up, the guy comes across as straight talking. All this is about, is his lack of knowledge when it comes to F1. He's a very successful business man, who runs a NASCAR team and he's applying what he knows about motorsport to setting up an F1 team, unfortunately what he knows about motorsport has little bearing when it comes to F1.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:14 (Ref:3419197)   #360
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Learned my lesson on the last USF1 upstart. I will not pay any attention to any of this venture till there is a car on track testing somewhere. Its a colossal waste of time.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3419201)   #361
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just how much are the rules changing with regard to 'customer cars'?
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3419205)   #362
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm sorry, but what a load of round spherical items in the men's trouser department! No team would enter the championship if the were doomed to fail, so the all believed at one time or another that they would succeed.

The dream only fades when a lack of cash exceeds in-extinguished hope!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Haas seems to catch flack regardless of what he says. He is either clueless (doomed to fail), or realistic (not positive enough). I think his statement above is about the most realistic thing I have heard recently. With my focus on the spending time at the back learning the ropes.

Granted, he still has a massive hill to climb. I see no reason to not watch him try (fail or otherwise). It clearly is safest to not even try.

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3419210)   #363
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Haas seems to catch flack regardless of what he says. He is either clueless (doomed to fail), or realistic (not positive enough). I think his statement above is about the most realistic thing I have heard recently. With my focus on the spending time at the back learning the ropes.

Granted, he still has a massive hill to climb. I see no reason to not watch him try (fail or otherwise). It clearly is safest to not even try.

Richard
He's not catching flak for whatever he says. He's catching flak for the wishy-washy, indecisive, ad-hoc stuff he's come out with to date.

If the guy is being reckless he can do that just as I'm going to comment on that.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3419214)   #364
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
starting to feel that way too. for the price of a few hundred grand (i think i have read that $130K was the fee for submitting the bid plus other expenses travel etc) he has generated a huge amount of publicity for himself and his brand.

certainly a lot more publicity then what a paid sponsorship of that amount would get you.

putting my conspiracy hat on, maybe there is a connection with the push for customer cars. maybe his acceptance by the FIA (which makes less and less sense given his seemingly state of total unreadiness) is a trojan horse and Ferrari's/Luca's way of getting additional Ferrari branded cars onto the grid.

always games within games.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3419276)   #365
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
He's not catching flak for whatever he says. He's catching flak for the wishy-washy, indecisive, ad-hoc stuff he's come out with to date.
So what your saying is he is catching flak for whatever he says.

My real point above is that he was (still is) being pilloried for not being realistic in his expectations. So the moment he says something that is remotely realistic, everyone jumps on him again. If everyone does nothing but ***** about what he says then its hard to figure out what are the valid criticisms vs. general negativity.

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3419281)   #366
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
starting to feel that way too. for the price of a few hundred grand (i think i have read that $130K was the fee for submitting the bid plus other expenses travel etc) he has generated a huge amount of publicity for himself and his brand.

certainly a lot more publicity then what a paid sponsorship of that amount would get you.

putting my conspiracy hat on, maybe there is a connection with the push for customer cars. maybe his acceptance by the FIA (which makes less and less sense given his seemingly state of total unreadiness) is a trojan horse and Ferrari's/Luca's way of getting additional Ferrari branded cars onto the grid.

always games within games.
There very well may be games within games going on.

Regarding the entry bond ($20 million???) what are the requirements for getting that back if you bail out? Anyone know the details?

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2014, 15:54 (Ref:3419283)   #367
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
my guess is the FIA get to keep it
Old 12 Jun 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3419299)   #368
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Richard
Agreed..it would be better if he just said very little to the press at the moment, he is just trying to find his way, I am sure he is talking to tons of people in the F1 community, hopefully they will offer sound advice ..
Old 12 Jun 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3419471)   #369
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
So what your saying is he is catching flak for whatever he says.

My real point above is that he was (still is) being pilloried for not being realistic in his expectations. So the moment he says something that is remotely realistic, everyone jumps on him again. If everyone does nothing but ***** about what he says then its hard to figure out what are the valid criticisms vs. general negativity.

Richard
No, not everyone is wishy-washy, indecisive nor ad-hoc. He's getting flak because he is wishy-washy, indecisive and ad-hoc.

If he had a realistic plan he would get far less criticism.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3419518)   #370
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Agreed..it would be better if he just said very little to the press at the moment, he is just trying to find his way, I am sure he is talking to tons of people in the F1 community, hopefully they will offer sound advice ..
I absolutely think he is a neophyte with it comes to F1, but you are right, there is no reason to prove it on a regular basis. In reality, he doesn't need to know everything. The people he hires to run things do. He would likely have less PR issues (at least on this forum!) if he just went dark. But then what would we talk about.

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2014, 23:45 (Ref:3419701)   #371
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do we know whether he would be team principal himself, or do what Mateschitz does and just sit back and let someone else run it while putting a bit of input here and there? If he's deciding on hiring someone to run the team then fair enough he doesn't need to be as knowledgeable.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3419707)   #372
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
No, not everyone is wishy-washy, indecisive nor ad-hoc. He's getting flak because he is wishy-washy, indecisive and ad-hoc.

If he had a realistic plan he would get far less criticism.
He's wishy-washy because he has no idea how to break into F1, so he goes from one idea to another and makes press announcements, without any PR and so opens himself up to criticism, i.e., wishy-washy.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3419708)   #373
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I absolutely think he is a neophyte with it comes to F1, but you are right, there is no reason to prove it on a regular basis. In reality, he doesn't need to know everything. The people he hires to run things do. He would likely have less PR issues (at least on this forum!) if he just went dark. But then what would we talk about.

Richard
Richard, neophyte is a good description, and yes what would we talk about indeed... :- )
Old 13 Jun 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3419799)   #374
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He's wishy-washy because he has no idea how to break into F1, so he goes from one idea to another and makes press announcements, without any PR and so opens himself up to criticism, i.e., wishy-washy.
Being over here in quaint ye olde Engerland, we are somewhat removed from the fast moving world that is NASCAR. So my question would be, is Haas like this with his NASCAR team, or does he for that team only issue statements when they have some importance and relevance?
Old 13 Jun 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3419804)   #375
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really don't know why this guy is getting so much flak. He has suggested an unorthodox way of operating an F1 team, is running various ideas around in his head and [if it ever comes to fruition] plans to spend several years at the back of the grid learning the ropes. Of the three 'new' teams that joined the fray nearly 5 years ago - one's gone and the other two have done nothing more than firmly cement their position at the back. That's despite the fact those two surviving teams are located in Britain.

Haas has the funding to bring his relatively modest ambitions to reality... and who are we to cast aspersions over how somebody spends their money ? If nothing else, it will hopefully enable two more drivers to gain F1 race experience without having to find a bag load of cash.