Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 15 Feb 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1226333)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Comparing Chassis: F1 vs CC

In this article, Cristiano da Matta compares the cars, F1 vs ChampCar. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know or suspect, except for this tidbit which I found quite interesting:
Quote:
His heart rate reaches peaks of 175bpm when driving a Champ Car, versus 160 behind the wheel of Toyota’s F1 challenger.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1226350)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possibly due to the heavier car?

Or maybe his fitness has slipped slightly?
Old 15 Feb 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1226354)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget he's had to change his driving style back again to suit a Champ Car, therefore he was just a little nervous getting back with the car.
Plus he's hasn't had a race for a while now.
Maybe just getting used to the speeds again.

Last edited by luke; 15 Feb 2005 at 17:05.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1226443)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SpeedTV does some odd things. That was taken from the press conference when it was announced that CDM would be joining PKV. McGee and Vasser were also in that. The heat rate figures were estimates by CDM.

I think the differences are that CCs are heavier, lack power steering and can be manhandled a little. CC circuits tend to be bumpier (think Miami 2003!), etc. so imagine fighting with the wheel over bumps while hanging out the rear a tad, all of which would result in more input from the driver.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1226486)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The speeds are faster in F1, but as Snrub points out, driving is CC is "busier."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1226510)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
apart from on ovals obviously....ok f1 is built for road courses...nascar and irl are built for ovals....even tho cc is slower on the road course you have to say its the best all round car and far more exciting than f1
Old 15 Feb 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1226531)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Traction control, automatic takeoff, power steering, carbon fiber brakes, grooved tires, paddle shift gearbox, and probably a few that I'm leaving out, would go along way towards making an F1 car easier to drive IMO.

There's almost no comparison to be made between the two...

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Feb 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1226541)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the things you mention don't all make an F1 car easier to drive, GP Racer.

Carbon brakes are potentially more difficult to use.

Grooved tyres is an irrelevance because the limit is much higher and more of a knife-edge than a ChampCar.

It may be easier to "drive" an F1 car - but to drive it at 100% is not easier, IMO
Old 15 Feb 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1226542)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The lack of power steering would, in itself, make the car much more physically difficult to drive.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1226547)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes - that and the cars weight are the biggest "punishing factors" of ChampCar.

The difference isn't huge probably.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1226625)   #11
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But in a way i thought F1 cars are more physically demanding to drive because they take the faster corners at much higher speeds than CC putting more strain on the neck and shoulders which in imho would/could as a result of fatigue rasie the heart beat of an F1 driver higher than most other drivers in other forms of racing.

Last edited by dubby99; 15 Feb 2005 at 22:30.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 23:18 (Ref:1226664)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wht 2 or 3 G's vs. 3 or 4?
CC and F1 are like this apple and pear, both from a tree with edible skins but really arent alike... or is that apple and oranges, or kiwis and pineapples?
similar in their all out speed potential and G's but the wieght of a CC and no power steering and slower braking, and downforce it is clear the F1 is going to be quicker (what 7 seconds arounf Montreal?) ofcourse these are the rebuild or fading years of champcar... ah in 1998-2000 that was real real 1000 hp madness.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1226723)   #13
Burd
Rookie

Burd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky05
Edit.
That would also be my guess. I wonder if he still thinks moving from the CCWS to F1 is a "sideways career move?"

Last edited by macdaddy; 16 Feb 2005 at 06:54.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1226740)   #14
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd
That would also be my guess. I wonder if he still thinks moving from the CCWS to F1 is a "sideways career move?"
What, and stay being dumped on in that sharks nest?

Better to be able to win in Champcar than have the greater amount of F1 fans think you're a no-hoper just because your car's a lemon...

Comparing F1 and Champcars (physically) one thing sticks out for me, and that's the airbox on the F1 car....

I never really realised why I preferred the aesthetics of a Champcar over a F1 car, but seeing the over-sized airboxes of the new reg F1 cars VS just the rollbar of a Champcar has made me realise that I don't like a airbox sticking up and ruining the "flow" of the car.....
Just a me thing, but heh.......good ol' Turbos eh?

Last edited by codename_47; 16 Feb 2005 at 01:37.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 02:34 (Ref:1226760)   #15
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
it is clear the F1 is going to be quicker (what 7 seconds arounf Montreal?)
Perhaps Midland Jordan should consider the CC date in Montreal instead of the F1 event as their current lap times are more consistent with the CC field.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1226857)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Here's a link to a car-comparison on CC's website.

In comparing weight, they list:
F1: 1322.77 lbs (including driver)
CC: 1565 lbs (without driver)

I think it's been awhile since this page was updated, though. Didn't CC pass new regs last offseason, in that the weight of the driver could no longer be used against him? Tracy was pretty happy about it, as I remember.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1227235)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
IIRC this comparison was discussed here. I believe the fastest CC car at Montreal would have been around 8.5 seconds per lap slower than the fastest F1 car which would put it about 5.5 slower than the slowest F1 car.

I think too we have to keep in mind here that CDM is estimating heart rate, not providing hard data that it is or is not higher in CC.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1227303)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby99
But in a way i thought F1 cars are more physically demanding to drive because they take the faster corners at much higher speeds than CC putting more strain on the neck and shoulders which in imho would/could as a result of fatigue rasie the heart beat of an F1 driver higher than most other drivers in other forms of racing.
That's a good point. Actually CDM did mention that in the press conference. He said the neck strain is much higher in F1 (he's not the first to say that either), but overall he says CCs are more physically taxing.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1227768)   #19
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is some interesting reading from a little while ago. A lot of the info is repeated in the links but each one has something. I recall JPM saying that he only needed to drive a Champ Car to meet his physical requirements. I would be inclined to think that Champ Cars require more physical strength. I remember Villeneuve losing his power-steering at the Hungaroring in 98 and saying that his weight training helped him in completing the race. One in which he finished third.
From personal experience I know that in my karting experience I get quite a workout, I can only imagine the stresses the elite drivers are under.
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=5331
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=5317
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=5322
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"