Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Oct 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2975722)   #26
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post
I think this experience has persuaded Vince to fit rear discs for next season - the driveshaft can still shear off, but at least the wheel remains attached via the caliper!
We were watching with baited breath while the field dodged around him - glad to see that no-one even scraped him - as he was parked in a very awkward place at Brooklands.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2975731)   #27
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 26R's were in roadsports in the invitation class as we had space on the grid. Normally Guards Trophy is 40 minutes with option of two drivers - on Saturday they had just a 15 min race so I guess this was a way for both drivers to participate by entering two classes.

I had an interesing race in my roadsports Elan. I managed to work my way past the Morgan plus 8's of Bruce Stapleton and Russell Patterson which I hadn't really expected to be able to do as it's a power circuit and those V8's seriously outmuscle me. Then I lost all sense of proportion and decided to chase after the V8 Griffith driven immaculately by Mathew Truelove - stupid me tried too hard at braking into Brooklands and spun.

It gets worse - I managed to work my way back past Russell Patterson and into third place (good so far). With one lap top go I then found the other Morgan (of Stapleton) going into Brooklands where I presume he was running out of fuel - I had to brake so hard to avoid a collision that I gyrated yet again in exactly the same spot. Finished fifth instead of 2nd. I'm hoping there aren't any photos of my spins.

Let me make a plug for Historic Roadsports - it is highly competitive but gentlemany racing and there is a great deal of camaraderie amongst all us competitors. I'm building a GTS car for next season, but I still plan to enter the HRS in my S1.

All the best

Paul (HRS #46)
Old 23 Oct 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2975741)   #28
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You got a big cheer from the BRDC stand for the second spin - it really was a carbon copy of the first! A very entertaining race throughout the field though.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2975748)   #29
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
We were watching with baited breath while the field dodged around him - glad to see that no-one even scraped him - as he was parked in a very awkward place at Brooklands.
Yep that was quite hairy, I was involved in my own dice a few seconds down the track and went into Brooklands 2 abreast, I don't think the yellows had been thrown at that point and was fully commited to an overtake up the inside, only to find a 3 wheeler parked there, thankfully we all managed to avoid him.

I very much enjoyed my first HSCC event, I will have to learn how to do a standing start though !! Will hopefully be back for more next year.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2975750)   #30
percy
Racer

Yorkie 'S' - you weren't in one of the Minis were you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post

Finished fifth instead of 2nd. I'm hoping there aren't any photos of my spins.

Paul (HRS #46)
Unfortunately I was up at Becketts for your race, so I missed the spin. Managed a few pics though...

Looks like someone's taken a shot at you in this pic!

Old 23 Oct 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2975761)   #31
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If your breath was baited ours was stopped waiting for the crunch and the clean up.

Quote:
I don't think the yellows had been thrown at that point
Bleeding cheek Vince hadn't stopped gyrating before I was vigourously waving a yellow and contemplating going to double yellows.

Brooklands was busy all day from a flagging point of view ..... especially from those who thought the track was too dry and needed lubricating.

and, Paul (HRS #46), the term "pillock" or slightly stronger was used during your dance routines. You need practice to perfect the waltz.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2975893)   #32
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Formula Fords. Well done to Benn Simms for winning the Championship and to Ben Mitchell for keeping him on his toes for all the season. Third was a battle which Ian Ashley deserved. I understand the battle for third in the race was quite hot between Wainright/Baird/Grant/Toyne - half a second between them all.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2975919)   #33
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame the Touring Cars race was judged on the second 5 minute part rather than the combined result of the first 9 or 10 minute part, up to Vince's lost wheel, plus the second part. I've not yet re-read the final instructions nor the HSCC's Sporting Regulations to see if this eventuality is covered but it seems to me a combination of the two parts would be a more satisfactory outcome.

Opinions would be appreciated.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2975923)   #34
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Well, just checked with the Sporting Regulations which I should have done before committing in print!!

The regs state that in the event of the race being red flagged after the leader has completed 2 laps but less than 75% of the distance then :

'The race will restart from a grid set out by the finishing order of part one (Q5.4.3.). The result of the race will be the finishing order at the end of part two. The length of the restarted race will be at the discretion of the Clerk of the Course.'

So there we have it for all to see but I remain of the opinion that a fairer result would be a combination of the two parts.

Still interested in the opinion of others.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2975931)   #35
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
That's been the regulation for many years - I think it acknowledged the rather more simplistic timekeeping systems which were available (at least at club and National B level) at the time.
However, any system of 'combining' the results of the two parts of the race, throws up as many iniquities as the application of the current regulations - I could think of many examples but I'm sure you can come up with your own.

Last edited by johngee; 24 Oct 2011 at 10:27.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2975938)   #36
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
Historic Formula Fords. Well done to Benn Simms for winning the Championship and to Ben Mitchell for keeping him on his toes for all the season. Third was a battle which Ian Ashley deserved. I understand the battle for third in the race was quite hot between Wainright/Baird/Grant/Toyne - half a second between them all.

By giraffe138 at 2011-10-24
Old 24 Oct 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2975939)   #37
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
What sort of iniquities could be thrown up by combining both parts, John. Not trying to be controversial but our season's finale, in which any of three drivers could have won the championship, was decided on a five lap race which will go down in the record book as having lasted for 5 minutes 58 seconds.

I don't think a combined result would have made any difference to the outcome but would have been more representative of what actually happened.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2975947)   #38
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
Yorkie 'S' - you weren't in one of the Minis were you?
Yep - No 58, had great fun chasing down Roger Phillips (No 84) in the first race and then recovering from a botched start in the 2nd and having a couple of dices with Andy in the red mini and Colin in the Jag !
Old 24 Oct 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2975978)   #39
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
Cheers Dikko, its been a great year i'm looking foward to the next one but I think I may have a even larger hill to climb this time as Ben is on top form and Rob wainwright is looking to do more outings.

Benn
Old 24 Oct 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2975994)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Peter, combined results would better represent the actual races.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2975997)   #41
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had no idea where I finished in the touring car race until I got home and checked online, but admit to also being perplexed by the results.

It was an odd day, I struggled to get motivated and was disappointed with my grid position, seem to have lost a second somewhere, but by race time had perked up a bit. Robyn Slater's and Brian Webb's Anglias have been sparring partners all year and were both in front on the grid so at least I knew what I had to do. A good getaway was negated by avoiding the stationary BMW further up the grid, which lost me 2 or 3 places that I made up in the first 50 yards, and I was then distracted by a humungous bee which floated past my face and sat on top of my helmet. Said bee then zapped backwards and forwards for a lap or two before disappearing, probably overcome by fumes but he obviously got a buzz out of it!

The restart meant that I was able to harass Robyn again (he had disappeared into the distance in the first half while I fended off Brian & bee) and although I got through at one point he was quick to put me back in my place. Good racing. Back out for Walter Hayes, then hibernation.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2976028)   #42
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Roadsports

Decided that I ought to drag the TR5 out for last run of a big season, only really to support the Championship, as no-one else in my Class B at present for one reason or another - but I hear good indications that some at least will be back next year... The fuel injection has gone 'off-song' a bit with the car running a bit rough above 5k, so just thought I'd cruise round ...

Anyway, qualifying was hilarious as the tyres are the same set that I've used all season, and practically qualify for historic status themselves considering what they've been through - sliding around all over the place, not helped by the Mustang dumping it's oil all over the braking area for Brooklands. A couple of seconds off my best for this circuit seemed a reasonable result all things considered.

Good start, despite self-imposed rev limit, and it was all going swimmingly until chum Burfs slides by, we can't have that now can we, give chase and am still close enough when either the clutch or gearbox cried 'enough' whilst accelerating onto the Wellington Straight on Lap 4. Switch off, coast to a halt ... and perhaps a quiet swear to myself. Haven't investigated yet; having needed the Mrs to help me push the heavy beast across the gravel into the garage on Saturday night it didn't seem wise to ask her to do it again on Sunday just so I could get the car out and investigate the problem!

I suppose not a great race for HRS 10thers, we've heard from Paul - who didn't win, hence a bad day for him, but too bad eh? Burfs, Mike Eagles, Robert Barrie all DNF for reasons I know not, but hopefully none of them expensive. Unusual, we don't often have high attrition in HRS, maybe we have some tired vehicles amongst us...

Some good things planned for HRS - a rebranding, some marketing, talk of a potential sponsor and some good ideas for another fun and sociable season in 2012. The regs will not be changed in any significant way, just in case you're prepping a car for next season.

Special mention to two regular HRS runners out in new toys this weekend - Adam Simmonds out for the first time in his smart Lola T142 F5000 (I think that's his first ever run in a single-seater, he was grinning after qualifying) and Richard Owen in his Ford Galaxie, he also had a big smile when I saw him.

That's it for me in 2011, it's been a great season despite Saturday's disappointment, see you in 2012.

James
Old 24 Oct 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2976070)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
I was then distracted by a humungous bee which floated past my face and sat on top of my helmet. Said bee then zapped backwards and forwards for a lap or two before disappearing, probably overcome by fumes but he obviously got a buzz out of it!
That's twice recently that one of your posts has made me laugh out loud, Colin! Absolutely priceless!

Slapped wrists for me, though, just couldn't motivate myself to drive over to Silverstone, thus missing the Finals for the first time in several years.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2976074)   #44
percy
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie 'S' View Post
Yep - No 58, had great fun chasing down Roger Phillips (No 84) in the first race and then recovering from a botched start in the 2nd and having a couple of dices with Andy in the red mini and Colin in the Jag !
Found this on my website...

Let me know if you want a copy. I may have others still on my camera.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2976080)   #45
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Burfs reporting in - Got off the line nicley for once and just about made it past James O (TR5) and John Shaw in his 911 (that car gets quicker every race!). Was having a hoot after managing to fix the clutch that hampered my qualifying performance (my excuse, and I am sticking to it). Anyway, pulling out onto the Wellignton straight with John Shaw in my mirrors when - blue smoke everywhere! I turned the engine off and coasted into the pits, trying to avoid the racing line (which I hope I did...). Got into the pits to discover that the oil pipe from the oil cooler back to the engine had come off!! Oil everywhere, but fortunately it was being squirted upwards as the return is an upward bent joint. The engine bay is a real mess however....Hopefully damage is limited as I think I reacted quick enough. If not, nothing a few quid (cough!) won't fix...
I had a great year, as did my family, the HSCC is a fantastic club. I even bagged the Class E championship from Dick Coffey - It will be back with the rightful owner next year, don't worry!
Old 24 Oct 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2976120)   #46
pd88
Rookie

pd88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Callum Grant is coming on leaps and bounds with each FF1600 event; he will be one to watch next season
Old 31 Oct 2011, 23:16 (Ref:2979859)   #47
iconway
Rookie

England
London
iconway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I brought Richard Cross up for the day to spectate - seeing as his Triumph never works - and we enjoyed a great day's racing. Took a few pictures of Colin and Yorkie, plus a couple of spinners at Copse and Becketts, and managed to catch Burfs and Paul Tooms from the roof of the BRDC, so job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Finals_2011__391_ (Medium).JPG   Finals_2011__96_ (Medium).JPG   Finals_2011__192_ (Medium).JPG  

Finals_2011__184_ (Medium).JPG   Finals_2011__377_ (Medium).JPG   Finals_2011__130_ (Medium).JPG  

Old 1 Nov 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2980014)   #48
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shot, thanks. Yes, that'll be the moment my oil-cooler hose gave way..pretty huh?!?!?!
Old 1 Nov 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2980028)   #49
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the red MG special is a very pretty car. Ian are you going to be at the WHT or are you "smudged" out?!!
Old 1 Nov 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2980065)   #50
iconway
Rookie

England
London
iconway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian, we thought to begin with you were kicking up cement dust as you came down the Wellington straight but it was clear before you got to the complex that it was coming from under the bonnet. In last year's WHT I managed to spin on my own oil right in front of the stand when my sump plug dropped out, highly embarrassing. Hope there's no major damage, and look forward to being out next season, as I recall we had a good ding-dong at the Silverstone Classic last year!