Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Jun 2002, 01:01 (Ref:318548)   #1
nickkeyiu
Rookie

nickkeyiu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jobs in Auto Racing

Does anyone out there know where to find a full-time position within auto racing, whether it be a sanctioning body, team, sponsor, track, etc. I interned with CART during the summer of 2000 and have quite an extensive background in auto racing. However, CART does not see the value of having a staff comprised of people who are passionate about the sport...anyway, any thoughts would be helpful..

(I graduated from Indiana University in 2001)
Old 22 Jun 2002, 01:30 (Ref:318559)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we talking finance, marketing...? Gotta be more specific.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 02:20 (Ref:318575)   #3
nickkeyiu
Rookie

Marketing, PR, potentially even Communications or Operations
Old 22 Jun 2002, 04:50 (Ref:318627)   #4
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you interested in selling sponsorships?

Kurt Maxwell
MaxSport
Indianapolis,IN.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 06:30 (Ref:318668)   #5
nickkeyiu
Rookie

Absolutely!!
Old 22 Jun 2002, 07:47 (Ref:318705)   #6
MaxSport
Racer

nickkeyiu-If you live here in Indy, why not go talk to the teams? If you understand that selling deals is more than sending out press kits then someone should give you a shot.

KM
maxsportcentral@hotmail.com
Old 22 Jun 2002, 13:43 (Ref:318884)   #7
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok the same subject, I'm currently studying to hopefully go into motor racing as an aerodynamic design engineer or something very simalar, but since the cut backs in this area, I'm glad that i've chosen a general engineering degree (Mechanical Engineering) which means a move into a different area of motorsport design, motorsport engineering or engineering in a totally different area is still very much possible.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 16:47 (Ref:319065)   #8
nickkeyiu
Rookie

I have talked to the teams, and the same applies accross the board...No openings...and when there are openings, they are taken up by people who have years of experience with CART, such as the people let go by other teams (PACWEST, PPI). CART is a very closed circle, and getting into it is difficult. I was in the circle, unfortunately, I had to go to school for 1 more year, hence, I'm out of the cirle now.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 00:07 (Ref:319281)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to get into racing as a sponsor (i.e. if you have actual cash to dispense) it should be the easiest job in the world to get in! Otherwise it is hard to find a job that actually pays money, in the higher circles at least. I know someone who could give you some tips as to getting into F3 or F3000, but you are not going to get rich doing that because nobody has any money.

Unfortunately, contrary to popular opinion, actually liking your work, much less having a passion for it, is considered all but irrelevant in today's market. Wanting to make lots of money and working 23 hours a day, on the other hand, is smiled upon. Sad, bur true.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 05:44 (Ref:319376)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yup.... I've looked into way into autoracing careers for engineers and it doesn't look pretty. Getting into one of the lower levels would probably not be too hard, but the hours plain stink(23 hour days, etc), the pay is barely enough (maybe not enough) to keep food on the plate, and like Liz said, doing it 'for the love of it' just doesn't cut it.

I find it very hard to justify such a huge sacrafice when there are companies(both private and public) out there that will give you good hours, treat you for what your worth and pay the bills nicely.

Last edited by Jay; 23 Jun 2002 at 05:46.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Jun 2002, 18:36 (Ref:322983)   #11
Joey Jo Jo
Rookie

Joey Jo Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no job

I also have tried to gain employment with CART and Know your frustration.

Last year I had eight different interviews and met with the entire staff and had The C.E.O's endorsement. We all know what happened next.

I have been to just about every race track and have had some really great experiences so I am happy to say I have no regrets. However i felt that CART has missed the boat by not hiring me I could have transferd my passion of the sport to anyone.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 06:22 (Ref:324450)   #12
MaxSport
Racer

Yes, but what can you do for CART? Can you make them money?
Have you the ability to bring in a marketing partner?

I am enthused about many things, but unless I can bring something to the bottom line I am useless.

So why should they hire you? Because you have a degree and really love the sport? All that and four bucks will buy you a large latte at Starbucks.

It appears that they are still not teaching common sense in school these days. Mr. Heitzler may be proof that they never did.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 13:09 (Ref:325122)   #13
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Common sense can't be taught - it's an experience thing.

Have I got something to add? Depends on my experience.

What can I add to the bottom line? Experience.

What haven't we got?
Old 3 Jul 2002, 01:59 (Ref:326267)   #14
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am enthused about many things, but unless I can bring something to the bottom line I am useless.
Isn't that a bit like what Ken Lay of Enron said?

Last edited by jcclausen; 3 Jul 2002 at 02:02.