Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 29 Aug 2003, 22:15 (Ref:703078)   #1
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting Started

Anyone got any advice on getting my 7 year old started in karts. What age do they start and is it possible to hire karts for a few meetings to see if he likes it.As far as I know the closest track to us is Dunkerswell. What are the costs involved in karting (I still need to feed my habit! . Grateful for any advice.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 21:42 (Ref:703630)   #2
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm. Well it's probably best if first you go to your local track and watch some club racing, to make sure he isn't put off it when he sees what the racing can be like. Then pick up a Karting Magazine, this normally has LOADS of information and prices for spares which you might find interesting and it also has a link tot he MSA Karting pack which he will need to get his ARKS test. The test and license will cost about £90 including buying the information pack which includes a video. The test consumes of ten tick box questions which are pretty easy and all the information is covered on the video. There is then a ten lap driving assesment, speed is not being looked for, just confidence, correct use of lines, braking, use of rumble strips and smooth kart inputs. Best not to spin even though i passed my test while getting in to a huge slide and going in to a hairpin at 60mph backwards! TWICE!! The test is a doddle basically.

Check out www.karting.co.uk for more details.

Karts and prices now.....hmmm, money

The site above has a market place, that will show you what is on offer and the prices of second hand deals. You will need to look out for Cadet karts, your son can start racing them from the age of 8 to 12. They do about 45 to 50mph. A good second hand kart could cost anything from £400 to £900 depending on spares etc. New tyres for every three races normally at about £90, and then you can just keep on spending to your hearts desire.

I can give you more specific information if you say how seriously he wants to take it, how much money you can afford to spend, etc.

James
Old 2 Sep 2003, 22:15 (Ref:706208)   #3
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice. We will look into it next year probably
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:09 (Ref:706555)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depending on where in Devon you are they will help you out no end at either Dunkeswell (v friendli bunch) or at Clay Pigeon near Dorchester. Both have websites if you look on Google. Cadets are dead cheap, especially as they require so little engine work. The dad who parks next to me at Matchams is always reading the papaer between races!!