Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jan 2023, 22:33 (Ref:4142158)   #601
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No reason why RLM and NBC couldn’t have armed themselves with such information.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 12:19 (Ref:4142206)   #602
outnumbered
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading
outnumbered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Thanks for posting, but I don't think I can devote 30 minutes to this subject. Is there an understandable write-up of it anywhere ?
Old 30 Jan 2023, 12:45 (Ref:4142207)   #603
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post

Other than that I'm not sure the series really cares. If Corvette wants to fight other factories, the prototype class is second door on the right.

I think they're probably the only true factory team, the rest are private teams hiring factory drivers or house team.
I'm all in favor of a Corvette GTP, maybe even in Goodwrench black and silver, but wouldn't that mean fighting your own factory in Cadillac?
Old 30 Jan 2023, 14:55 (Ref:4142222)   #604
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only if Cadillac chooses to leave IMSA and race in WEC, or solely endeavor in Formula 1 as either a sponsor or manufacturer/power train provider, will that happen.

At present, Corvette is GT, Cadillac is GTP/LMDh and that's it.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 15:25 (Ref:4142224)   #605
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I think my original comment was a little tongue in cheek and probably not a legitimate suggestion lol. Still the gtd/gtd pro mingling feels different compared to gm/hpd not wanting to get beat by non major manufacturer boutique race car builders in the prototype ranks in the early dpi days.

I think aco and imsa are pushing gt classes to less full factory efforts and more run of the mill privateer race teams that may utilize factory drivers here and there. Heart of racing gtd beating Corvette probably feels similar to being beaten by weather tech Mercedes. Not great at all, but not unfair or undesirable. Gm marketing probably sees that as brands they want to be seen competing with. Hopefully winning against, but understandablely losing some too. Losing to panoz or spyker is probably something they'd care more about from an image perspective.

Last edited by seanyb505; 30 Jan 2023 at 15:30.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 15:36 (Ref:4142225)   #606
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
Thanks for posting, but I don't think I can devote 30 minutes to this subject. Is there an understandable write-up of it anywhere ?
Actually being a Pruett / Goodwin production it is OK and worth a watch. I now understand the basic principles (up to point, I think !). Not sure you could explain it easily during commentary through ...
Old 30 Jan 2023, 16:51 (Ref:4142235)   #607
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Actually being a Pruett / Goodwin production it is OK and worth a watch. I now understand the basic principles (up to point, I think !). Not sure you could explain it easily during commentary through ...
Yeah that was a well explained and enjoyable video. Probably should have watched that BEFORE the D24 but actually being blissfully unaware didn't impact my enjoyment of the race.

Now I'd like to see a video from a WEC perspective and how this will apply (if at all) to those events and LM.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 20:36 (Ref:4142267)   #608
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, even a bit of the info from the video would have helped them not stammer trying to explain it. And you would guess same rules would apply but as we know sharing isn't either series strength
Old 31 Jan 2023, 16:56 (Ref:4142315)   #609
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Managed to catch around 15 hours of the race this year and overall was pretty impressed with what I saw.
Coverage on IMSA TV here in the UK was really very good overall, other than missing the first couple of laps - as usual, commentary from the team at Radio Le was top notch. They kept the flow of information interesting and were rarely caught out by what was happening in front of them - Great Job guys and girls! Maybe the SRO could learn a thing or two about giving regular updates without detracting from the overall presentation ..... maybe on second thoughts, give the commentary/presentation over to RLM for the Spa 24 hours!
For the race itself, it was great to see the GTP reliability and performance be so much stronger than expected - bodes very well for the future and I am really looking forward to the season as a whole.
One major gripe though ....... how did IMSA get the BOP for the new Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo so very wrong? What a race we would have had if only they had worked a bit harder to ensure a somewhat more level playing field. Have to say, that if I was representing one of those manufacturers, I would be pretty hacked off to have invested all the ÂŁÂŁÂŁ and time only to be dealt that hand. Come on IMSA, you can do much better than that!
Ruined what could have been a titanic GTD battle.
Also, I know that it has been discussed at length many, many times and will never be changed, but the farcical yellow flag/safety car/waveby procedures spoil what could be a great series!
Old 31 Jan 2023, 18:32 (Ref:4142321)   #610
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
The solution for the massive time consuming full FCY procedures is simple: just close the pit for every caution. The 'short' FCYs are under 10 mins on average which, for an endurance race, is acceptable. 20-25 mins is not.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4142322)   #611
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Also, I know that it has been discussed at length many, many times and will never be changed, but the farcical yellow flag/safety car/waveby procedures spoil what could be a great series!
Agree 100%!

Strangely, it didn't bother me as much this year compared to last, there were a few that could have been taken care of without a safety car. But, perhaps I'm so numb to it I've just started to accept it subconsciously, haha!

*EDIT*
For everyone's viewing pleasure, some of our favorite videographers have posted their work since the conclusion of the race. As expected, they are all wonderful videos! Enjoy guys!

BuddyBryan3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLw5p7LW_Jw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGr41E9hp7c

Lanky Turtle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWj5alOcKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbiiWuXP924

SethV Tube
https://www.youtube.com/@sethvtube7946/videos

MidKnightR1
https://www.youtube.com/@midknightr1306/videos

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 31 Jan 2023 at 19:03.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4142329)   #612
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
the gtd/gtd pro mingling feels different compared to gm/hpd not wanting to get beat by non major manufacturer boutique race car builders in the prototype ranks in the early dpi days.

I think aco and imsa are pushing gt classes to less full factory efforts and more run of the mill privateer race teams that may utilize factory drivers here and there. Heart of racing gtd beating Corvette probably feels similar to being beaten by weather tech Mercedes. Not great at all, but not unfair or undesirable. Gm marketing probably sees that as brands they want to be seen competing with. Hopefully winning against, but understandablely losing some too.

Losing to panoz or spyker is probably something they'd care more about from an image perspective.
Ford will launch the Mustang GT3 next year, so that will be interesting to see.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 15:06 (Ref:4142399)   #613
GT3_Fan
Racer

GT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Ford will launch the Mustang GT3 next year, so that will be interesting to see.
Don't set expectations too high for the Mustang and Corvette at the 2024 Daytona 24 guys.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 15:07 (Ref:4142400)   #614
GT3_Fan
Racer

GT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The outcome of this race I think might make IMSA rethink the criteria for GTD Pro vs GTD Am for the 2024 season. Do you think it should change? Perhaps more of a bronze mandate for the green cars next year?
Old 1 Feb 2023, 15:16 (Ref:4142404)   #615
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Don't change a winning team.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 16:37 (Ref:4142415)   #616
kbeech
Rookie

United States
Alexandria, VA
kbeech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howdy! Haven't posted in a while. I think I'm averaging once a year. Anyway, I've been catching up watching Daytona 24 on Peacock Network. Maybe my expectiations are low but it's fine. Work schedule prevents watching much of anything live so watching replays will have to do. Anyway, I'm still watching it and its under 6 hours to go. At least the weather cooperated this year.

Later!

Old 1 Feb 2023, 17:28 (Ref:4142425)   #617
GT3_Fan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeech View Post
Howdy! Haven't posted in a while. I think I'm averaging once a year. Anyway, I've been catching up watching Daytona 24 on Peacock Network. Maybe my expectiations are low but it's fine. Work schedule prevents watching much of anything live so watching replays will have to do. Anyway, I'm still watching it and its under 6 hours to go. At least the weather cooperated this year.

Later!

ha ha if you fast forward safety car periods, then you will go through the last part of the race quick! The last 6 hours of the race on Peacock is no more than 2 hours of watching in real time
Old 1 Feb 2023, 17:29 (Ref:4142426)   #618
GT3_Fan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeech View Post

Later!

The last 6 hours of the race on Peackock is no more than 2 hours in real time with the safety car periods and ads.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 21:28 (Ref:4142456)   #619
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3_Fan View Post
Don't set expectations too high for the Mustang and Corvette at the 2024 Daytona 24 guys.
Given their domestic clout as famous US automobile brands, I wouldn't be surprised if they're competitive right out of the gate with their substantial(probable) BoP lobbying power.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 22:25 (Ref:4142461)   #620
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Given their domestic clout as famous US automobile brands, I wouldn't be surprised if they're competitive right out of the gate with their substantial(probable) BoP lobbying power.
BoP will be FIA unless they want to go in like Porsche and Ferrari pre-BoP test. IMSA might do many things but changing what they've done isn't really in their wheelhouse.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 22:27 (Ref:4142463)   #621
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Apparently people care FAR less than the desktop warriors on here want to think, record TV numbers and not even close. Early projection of 25% plus increase and over million viewers on Sunday. This for a series that gets 125k on a good day
Old 2 Feb 2023, 09:44 (Ref:4142491)   #622
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
BoP will be FIA unless they want to go in like Porsche and Ferrari pre-BoP test. IMSA might do many things but changing what they've done isn't really in their wheelhouse.
Maybe more incentive to try and get the car out earlier for Petit. If that's allowed? Use that as your BoP burner round, even if you're still testing a bit, and then get all that data banked to speed up the process.

Doesn't sound like one off-season test pre-ROAR was enough for IMSA to be sure on performance.
Old 2 Feb 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4142506)   #623
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no issue with a new car having a conservative BOP and maybe being a bit slower in the first race. However in IMSA the first race is the most important one of the season or equal to Sebring, so this can be quite tough on teams and manufacturers deciding to debut cars

If I were a manufacturer I would delay introducing the new model until Long Beach. By that time there will be data on BOP from other series IMSA can look at as well

If the endurance running is so important, I would enter 1 or 2 new cars in Daytona and allow the established teams to use the old model so they stand a chance at competing for the win
Old 8 Mar 2023, 19:55 (Ref:4146359)   #624
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...ipulation.html

Extra large oof
Old 8 Mar 2023, 20:20 (Ref:4146362)   #625
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
With a large helping of oh dear, for everyone involved: MSR for cheating and IMSA for not fully disqualifying them.