Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 14 Feb 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3884249)   #1751
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It was on before, possibly on BBC4, and at the time prompted a discussion on the tea break about why or how it was Claire that is virtually running the team whilst her brother has been relegated to the historic side of the business.

Is running the historic side instead of modern side a bad thing?For me NO.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 21:20 (Ref:3884250)   #1752
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I know a number of people who are either Irish or of Irish extraction who call them selves Paddy, it is not seen as offensive to refer to 'Paddies' here in Luton with it's large Irish contingent. (Good Catholics, like myself).

I am sorry that you feel insulted, but would stress that here on the Tea Break, one has to expect plenty of such politically incorrect banter.

Personally I have grown a very hard skin to protect me from the likes of VivaGT, Mike Harte, etc., etc.

My view is that this is a M'Sport forum so should be based on the subject and stuff around it such aa the Brexit stuff.Sorry if I ruffle some feathers or some think the forum should be more than what I've said.

Reading Autosport today I saw a certain Mclaren f1 car will grace the HF1 grid this year.Great news as you dont see many Mclarens these days.Also more interesting is that a FF1600 driver will maybe do the Silvestone Classic.What a step up Formula Ford to f1.Not bad eh.

Doing this as currently watching MLC from Red Bull Ring.Modern Proto with V8s,no electronic aids and multiclass,WHAT thats absurd 😁.Cracking race btw...
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:01 (Ref:3884267)   #1753
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a very interesting podcast featuring Claire Williams on the F1 website. Google "Beyond the Grid". You can also hear Eddie Jordan, Jackie Stewart and other luminaries. Well worth a listen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Feb 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3884305)   #1754
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It was on before, possibly on BBC4, and at the time prompted a discussion on the tea break about why or how it was Claire that is virtually running the team whilst her brother has been relegated to the historic side of the business.
Yes, as said last night, I remember it now!
Old 15 Feb 2019, 06:21 (Ref:3884306)   #1755
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Reading Autosport today I saw a Mclaren f1 car will grace the HF1 grid this year.Great news as you dont see many Mclarens these days.Also more interesting is that a FF1600 driver will maybe do the Silvestone Classic.What a step up Formula Ford to f1.
The McLaren owner comes from the same part of the world as the young HFF / FF2000 racer, and the latter has tested the owner’s Arrows before. He may (can’t be sure) have done a race as well. That era of F1 cars are sometimes described in simple terms as ‘just a big Formula Ford’, so not that difficult to get the hang of the mechanical side of driving- if you already have the talent. Which the youngster has.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3884311)   #1756
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Re the Williams movie, I watched the movie on a flight to Europe in late I think, 2017. I also remember the discussions here re her brother being 'relegated'. I seem to remember it also sort of showed SFW to be a selfish prick in relation to his relationship with the late Virginia.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3884319)   #1757
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Wooozattt selfish prick? Coming from any sister in law I guess its a compliment… well… ya no… actually… what do I know!
Old 15 Feb 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3884337)   #1758
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thinking of kilts, I’ve been trying to remember who came out with the ‘Is anything worn under the kilt?’ joke (Answer- ‘No, it’s all in good working order’).......

Sure it’s as old as the hills. Anyone remember?
Was it Spike Milligan?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3884343)   #1759
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I know a number of people who are either Irish or of Irish extraction who call them selves Paddy, it is not seen as offensive to refer to 'Paddies' here in Luton with it's large Irish contingent. (Good Catholics, like myself).

I am sorry that you feel insulted, but would stress that here on the Tea Break, one has to expect plenty of such politically incorrect banter.

Personally I have grown a very hard skin to protect me from the likes of VivaGT, Mike Harte, etc., etc.
Whilst I find a 'name check' from you rather complimentary, I would suspect that you already had your hard skin well before joining this forum...
Old 15 Feb 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3884354)   #1760
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Was it Spike Milligan?
I thought it was a Scottish comedian, but well before Billy Connolly. Searching on t’internet has revealed no proof of whom, though!
Old 15 Feb 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3884391)   #1761
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chick Murray?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3884397)   #1762
Willmaz223
Veteran

Whilst eating my lunch and watching the bbc afternoon live show I cam across the recent and ongoing protest by people my age and lower around the country on the climate.I feel quite strongly about the issue and found the BBCs coverage rather appaling of it.First of all they say across the country and show 5 people standing seemingly on there own on under a old building.Second they interview 2 kids aged about 8 who cant really go into specifics about the problem and have a proper case(those 8-10 year olds care more than the blooming government which says it all really.They then reiterate that these kids are missing school,I agree on showing both sides to an argument but not obsessing over one.I did like how they showed the broadness of the protests from Australia,Sweden and the UK.I know this isn't really M'Sport related but it does concern all of us(unless you dont believe in it which frankly I won't waste my time on saying why you should).I'm also some might have a disagreement with some of the areas of my topic which is fine aswell.

Oh I turn over to the Parliament and they're having a 6hr debate on bludy brexit...Get your priorites right jeez.

I now realise this has become a rant of sourts but its something care about and its a shame not more do.😁
Old 15 Feb 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3884435)   #1763
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There’s a new quarterly glossy mag out for ‘the true car enthusiast’ called ‘Magneto’. To give some idea of the target demographic, the new car ad inside front is for McLaren, and on the next page is one for Cunard voyages on the QM2!

Cover price eight quid- luckily the one I got was complementary.... Expect a few other tenthers may get a copy as well.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3884445)   #1764
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Whilst eating my lunch and watching the bbc afternoon live show I cam across the recent and ongoing protest by people my age and lower around the country on the climate.I feel quite strongly about the issue and found the BBCs coverage rather appaling of it.First of all they say across the country and show 5 people standing seemingly on there own on under a old building.Second they interview 2 kids aged about 8 who cant really go into specifics about the problem and have a proper case(those 8-10 year olds care more than the blooming government which says it all really.They then reiterate that these kids are missing school,I agree on showing both sides to an argument but not obsessing over one.I did like how they showed the broadness of the protests from Australia,Sweden and the UK.I know this isn't really M'Sport related but it does concern all of us(unless you dont believe in it which frankly I won't waste my time on saying why you should).I'm also some might have a disagreement with some of the areas of my topic which is fine aswell.

Oh I turn over to the Parliament and they're having a 6hr debate on bludy brexit...Get your priorites right jeez.

I now realise this has become a rant of sourts but its something care about and its a shame not more do.��

Will,

When I was your age, or thereabouts, young people had quite similar views about how the world was being destroyed by the idiot older generations and how things would be wonderful if we all lived in communes and consumed as many interesting drugs as one might be able to grow or synthesise (if you had a chemist as a mate) from local resources.

It would all be really cool ... but didn't quite fit with a life based on the enjoyment of driving except for the hardcore hippies.

Some of them lasted a few years living the lifestyle. Others (not very many really) travelled extensively. Very few made it last. A few popular icons became very rich and so were said to have 'sold out'.

As one grew a little older it dawned on one that this was the way it would always be. The opt out, rose tinted dreams could well be achieved for a few people even if for some of them the rose tinting was far from perfect and the drug fuelled dreams turned to nightmares. But they could only do it by living of the others.

And for every 1000 people with some sort of extreme talent that might give then a means to create a lifestyle of their choosing AND be able to fund it, only 1 would be likely to make the dream work for them. Indeed more likely it was 1 in 10,000 or perhaps 1 in 100,000.

A few years on and I had my 'freedom' from the teenage years, the freedom of a driving licence, a better view of the "real world" - or at least one of them - and for a few years a job in motor sport. None of that was very compatible with hippiedom, although one could hang on to the related music for a while.

10 years on the reality of the world and the situations of the people living in it and the systems by which they lived at least somewhat co-ordinated lives looked very different and far more complex than they had during earlier times. Its an age thing that happens n the real world. Perhaps not always so evident in the heart of academia.

I suspect that some of the "idealists" probably missed the enlightenment of reality, probably due to being on a trip as it passed by. A few of them are now seen as 'sages' from the past. They have developed that persona as part of their self support system to give meaning to their lives.

Whether they also provide good guidance for the future of others will not be known in their lifetimes. (Except that in some cases their predictions from the past were for times already passed by now and were nowhere near correct.)
Old 15 Feb 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3884446)   #1765
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Magneto? Nice name. At eight quids I guess we'll have to give around ten of our Zlopecks -when Zloti meets Copeck- meaning around fourteen je ne sais quoi at Paris JWS. May be I have some Drachmes to invest… Magnéto, il y a de l'électricité dans l'air!
Old 15 Feb 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3884456)   #1766
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Magneto? Nice name. At eight quids I guess we'll have to give around ten of our Zlopecks -when Zloti meets Copeck- meaning around fourteen je ne sais quoi at Paris JWS. May be I have some Drachmes to invest… Magnéto, il y a de l'électricité dans l'air!
It may spark some interest I suppose, Gerard.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3884458)   #1767
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
When I met John E at Paris obviously we talked about you. You and your wonderful and immense sense of humor. Together we had the same word: killer! Remember the song "souffrir par toi n'est pas souffrir"? From memory I'd say singer is Julien Clerc the writer being Etienne Roda-Gil. Love you, Bob! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De2EQ-oyhVY
No, its not a sad song!

By the way, was Mortimer alias Mort Shuman known in you area?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 19:59 (Ref:3884467)   #1768
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Magneto?

I predict it will be a flash in the pan.

Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3884468)   #1769
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Chick Murray?

Andy Murray?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 22:43 (Ref:3884497)   #1770
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
When I met John E at Paris obviously we talked about you. You and your wonderful and immense sense of humor. Together we had the same word: killer! Remember the song "souffrir par toi n'est pas souffrir"? From memory I'd say singer is Julien Clerc the writer being Etienne Roda-Gil. Love you, Bob! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De2EQ-oyhVY
No, its not a sad song!

By the way, was Mortimer alias Mort Shuman known in you area?
Mort Shuman, a great song writer, I have a record he made with Joe Brown and The Bruvvers, of two of his compositions that he felt Fabian had not done justice too.

Fab Rock'n'Roll vinyl.

With regard to humour I'm not sure Podraigh appreciated it.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 00:23 (Ref:3884513)   #1771
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mort Shuman, a great song writer, I have a record he made with Joe Brown and The Bruvvers, of two of his compositions that he felt Fabian had not done justice too.

Fab Rock'n'Roll vinyl.

With regard to humour I'm not sure Podraigh appreciated it.
Joe Brown was still making albums up until a couple of years ago... produced by his son. I think he was also still touring with his band until a few years ago. I know Status Quo asked him to be the support on a tour they did a few years ago.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:11 (Ref:3884522)   #1772
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fab Rock'n'Roll vinyl.

His writing partner was Doc Pomus. Together Pomus and Shuman wrote some of the best rock and roll of the 1950s/early 1960s.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 02:00 (Ref:3884535)   #1773
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

Fab Rock'n'Roll vinyl.
Bob I guess this might one.... in this before the guitar solo 50-ish seconds in, Mort says 'C'mon Joe'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeLPqzn5K6s
Old 16 Feb 2019, 02:05 (Ref:3884536)   #1774
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Probably Shuman succeeded in several parts of the world because he could use either language/ culture english and european. Sometimes the "market" is strange his most famous song here is Papa Tango Charlie -rather light hearted- which is unfair regarding some others like L'imperméable anglais ou VoilÃ* comment tu m'as laissé. I guess its good for any artist to meet the success with a popular song making enough money to bring freedom for artistic expression.

As to killing humor, Bob, we can say Mort had a definitive brake-exit!
Old 16 Feb 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3884547)   #1775
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Magneto? I predict it will be a flash in the pan.

To ensure reliability of supply, maybe twin Magneto subscriptions needed?