Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Jul 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3275332)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2013 BTCC summer break

A thread to discuss anything happening away from race weekends, rather than tag them on to weekend discussion.

Richard Hawken, Ian Loggie and Chris Jones to test for Speedworks at the Dunlop Tyre Test on Tuesday at Snetterton.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...47980281903913

Also, if you want to go, its free for spectators. Info: http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/dunl...est-next-week/
Old 8 Jul 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3275422)   #2
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Warren Scott, Joe Girling, Robb Holland and Howard Fuller will all be sharing the driving duties in the Team HARD Insignia recently vacated by James Cole at the test, according to Autosport.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3275470)   #3
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Richard Hawken, Ian Loggie and Chris Jones to test for Speedworks...
Who, who and who?
Old 8 Jul 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3275544)   #4
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the facebook link:

Quote:
Hawken, a three-time club level champion in an ex-David Leslie Nissan Primera, had been a contender to race for Speedworks this season after holding initial talks.

The 41-year-old has taken the Primera, piloted by Frenchman Laurent Aiello to theBTCC drivers’ title in 1999, to the BRSCC SuperTouring Car Trophy in successive seasons, as well as top spot in Class B of the Euro Saloons Championship.

For Jones and Loggie, class leaders after three rounds of the Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship in a Team Parker-prepared Porsche 911, this week marks a second stint behind the wheel of a Speedworks Avensis.

The duo, who both live next door to home circuit Oulton Park, spent time on track in the Toyota at Donington Park earlier this year.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3275553)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Hawken was trying to get into BTCC last year but couldn't put a deal together.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3275567)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy84 View Post
Who, who and who?
As mentioned earlier, Loggie and Jones currently race a Porsche in Britcar endurance races, and have tested the Speedworks Avensis before.

Apparently, Jones is looking at BTCC next year (he appeared in an ex-VLR Peugeot 307 in Britcar a few year back) and Loggie has plans to join the TOCA package in Carrera Cup

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/chris-jones-testing/
Old 9 Jul 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3275828)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Hawken was trying to get into BTCC last year but couldn't put a deal together.
He's at Brands this coming weekend in his Super Touring Primera He had a Super Touring Cavalier before the Primera. Quite a few Super Touring cars (and other touring cars) at Brands this weekend:

Neil Smith Alfa Romeo 156
Paul Smith/ Tim Harvey Ford Sierra RS 500
Stephen Dymoke Alfa Romeo 156
Simon Garrad Ford Sierra RS500
Alvin Powell Ford Mondeo
John Cleland Vauxhall Vectra
Patrick Watts Peugeot 406
James Dodd Nissan Primera
Derek Palmer Nissan Primera
Keith Butcher Nissan Primera ST
Mark Smith BMW E3 M3
Stewart Whyte Honda Accord
David Jarman Nissan Primera
Peter Hallford Ford Mustang
Richard Hawken Nissan Primera Gt
Derek Hale Honda Accord
Old 9 Jul 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3275965)   #8
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rob Austin turned a few laps in the Speedworks Toyota as well. But before anyone gets excited, he was probably just getting a free spin from his father in law!
Old 11 Jul 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3276762)   #9
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right I know it's 2014 based but we don't yet have a more appropriate place for me to put this. Something I have read (from what sounds like a good source), but am in no way validating, is we could see SKODA as manufacture next year...

It's not a personal source. Someone posted about the entry on Twitter and I asked where they'd heard it. They said it was an employee inside the VAG group working for SKODA UK...

Also I know SKODA UK are reviewing their motorsport operations next year and their Twitter bio reads "Planning new projects for 2014"

Just an idea and I realise the above Twitter source could mean anything but very interesting anyway.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3276947)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
BTCC makes more sense than an entry in IRC what they have done in the recent past.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3277135)   #11
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there any news on KIA or any other manufactures for next year? I know there was a suggestion of one other but how secure that was I don't know...
Old 12 Jul 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3277166)   #12
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
BTCC makes more sense than an entry in IRC what they have done in the recent past.
If it did happen and that's a big if, it would only be on a UK level. Rather like Seat Sport UK. Importer-backed, rather than from the HQ in the Czech Republic.

I think the IRC campaign made sense, as they have a great heritage and history in rallying in my lifetime and even before then.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3277176)   #13
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
If it did happen and that's a big if, it would only be on a UK level. Rather like Seat Sport UK. Importer-backed, rather than from the HQ in the Czech Republic.

I think the IRC campaign made sense, as they have a great heritage and history in rallying in my lifetime and even before then.
I agree totally with what you say about the IRC project...

SKODA UK are reviewing their Motorsport operations for next year and the suggestion was that this would be a UK based project...
Old 12 Jul 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3277183)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Their main UK sponsorship at the moment appears to be pro-cycling.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3277240)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
VAG have traditionally had Skoda in rallying while SEAT has been their racing brand. Skoda being more utilitarian, while SEAT is their sporty brand. It'd be interesting if that's changed.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 20:56 (Ref:3277402)   #16
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
VAG have traditionally had Skoda in rallying while SEAT has been their racing brand. Skoda being more utilitarian, while SEAT is their sporty brand. It'd be interesting if that's changed.
Quote:
Their main UK sponsorship at the moment appears to be pro-cycling.
Yes but remember this is SKODA UK and not the international operation. SKODA are also preparing an R5 Fabia and SEAT could well be back to the WTCC.

And yes a lot of the sponsorship from the group is going pro-cycling but I imagine SKODA UK has very little to do with that. Also the Twitter account is for the Motorsport division.

The more I think about this the more logical it becomes. Plus SKODA are on a rise right now, with a lot of good reviews for their cars. They have just launched the new Octavia VRS and an entry will certainly give the brand a lot of exposure to a more sport conscious audience...
Old 13 Jul 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3277406)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
And yes a lot of the sponsorship from the group is going pro-cycling but I imagine SKODA UK has very little to do with that.
After chatting to somebody, I discovered a friend of a friend works for Skoda UK and he's been allover the place in the past year, as part of that particular promotion campaign. They usually have a big presence at the Tour of Britain. Arguably pro-cycling is gaining as many new viewers as the likes of the BTCC is, thanks to ITV4.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3277408)   #18
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
After chatting to somebody, I discovered a friend of a friend works for Skoda UK and he's been allover the place in the past year, as part of that particular promotion campaign. They usually have a big presence at the Tour of Britain. Arguably pro-cycling is gaining as many new viewers as the likes of the BTCC is, thanks to ITV4.
That's interesting but still the Motorsport division is planning new projects and I know they were considering other series which would mean moving away from rallying...
Old 13 Jul 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3277428)   #19
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Would the worldwide motorsport division want to enter a series where they aren't really showcasing one particular product as such? It's a bit cheeky to run a car full of common parts and have ad campaigns proclaiming it to be the best. They'd be better off in the WTCC in that respect. But if it's Skoda UK wanting brand awareness and nothing else, then they could do it I guess, or stick with the cycling to get the name out there.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3277533)   #20
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Would the worldwide motorsport division want to enter a series where they aren't really showcasing one particular product as such? It's a bit cheeky to run a car full of common parts and have ad campaigns proclaiming it to be the best. They'd be better off in the WTCC in that respect. But if it's Skoda UK wanting brand awareness and nothing else, then they could do it I guess, or stick with the cycling to get the name out there.
No it's the UK division, so I imagine it would be for advertising...
Old 16 Jul 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3278280)   #21
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any news regarding Wrathall sentence ???

and I dunno UK criminal law but is there a suspendent sentence for light offenses in it like in most other EU countries??

that means usually for 1st time offenders you get a jail sentence but don't have to serve it under surtain rules that you have to report constantly to a police station, you must inform authoroties and seek permission if you want to travel somewhere, in some countries you have to wear a tracking device so you are constantly monitored , failing to comply with all this mean are thrown in jail to serve your sentence....
Old 16 Jul 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3278288)   #22
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
any news regarding Wrathall sentence ???

and I dunno UK criminal law but is there a suspendent sentence for light offenses in it like in most other EU countries??
Not quite sure how killing someone with your van and trailer is considered a light offense
Old 16 Jul 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3278294)   #23
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Not quite sure how killing someone with your van and trailer is considered a light offense
it's considered light compared to premeditaed murder
Old 16 Jul 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3278319)   #24
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is provision in UK law for suspended sentences, but it's not a part of the sentencing guidelines for the offence he's charged with.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3278322)   #25
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
There is provision in UK law for suspended sentences, but it's not a part of the sentencing guidelines for the offence he's charged with.
If anyone's interested, these are the (publicly available) guidelines for the offences he has been charged with (not convicted of!).

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.g..._guideline.pdf

They suggest that in the case that he is found guilty (IF) then the penalty in that circumstance, based on solely the limited evidence we've seen reported, would fall in the 4-7 years range.