Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3802623)   #2501
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://twitter.com/AmDessex/status/965851060140208128

so 5 drivers for 2 seats at AMD.
3 winners...at a guess Jackson, Kane and Boardman? everyone else whos won recently has been signed up or doing something else
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3802625)   #2502
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
TOCA engines all go back to Swindon at the end of the season as far as I know.
Depends on if they are leased or purchased.

A 1-year lease costs 25K per unit, or teams can purchase for 20K.

It is estimated that a non-TOCA unit costs 15K to purchase, with estimated 8K rebuild each year. So cheaper than the Swindon unit, but with the added risk of not being competitive and needing dispensation (as found out by BMR and Motorbase last season).
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3802626)   #2503
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
I thought the original ngtc remit was for an engine to last a full season to reduce costs.
They're designed to last one whole season before requiring rebuild, so the occasional failure won't penalise a team if they need a second unit.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3802627)   #2504
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post

3 winners...at a guess Jackson, Kane and Boardman? everyone else whos won recently has been signed up or doing something else
Just to stir the pot I notice that the DUO logo's on a Focus are very prominent in both of AMD's pictures!
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3802630)   #2505
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

For anyone other than Jackson - would they not be looking at Motorbase too as a potentially cheaper option?

If the ex-Jackson car is running under one of Motorbase's two TBLs - then having already failed to meet their obligation in 2015, It wouldn't look good to do so again. So any potential driver will have a strong hand in negotiating a really cheap seat and not require much funding.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3802631)   #2506
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

You would think Mat J would be in there, if he had the money for a Motorbase drive, he will have it for the AMD drive, you would think.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3802633)   #2507
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
When do we get to see the new Honda?
Tue 27th March?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3802634)   #2508
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

All bets are off then. One of the last seats on the grid and for modern-era BTCC, late in the day. Shaun has the position of power now in these negotiations.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3802635)   #2509
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Tue 27th March?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
When do we get to see the new Honda?
Can’t remember where I saw t earlier but Dynamics, Eurotech, Motorbase, AMD and Norlin are supposed to be sharing a test in Spain next week some time. So probably then.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3802638)   #2510
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Can’t remember where I saw t earlier but Dynamics, Eurotech, Motorbase, AMD and Norlin are supposed to be sharing a test in Spain next week some time. So probably then.
Checkered Flag reported that the car might not be ready for the test in February - with Shedden commenting that it is only hopeful to be ready in March. Media Day might just be a shell for photos.......

Shedden - 'hopefully there’s a car ready to test something in March'
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3802640)   #2511
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
You would think Mat J would be in there, if he had the money for a Motorbase drive, he will have it for the AMD drive, you would think.
If a small team like AmD had option on one of the most successful drivers of the modern era, normally I would say yes he will be there but I have a feeling these seats will go to whoever has the biggest cheque book
Old 20 Feb 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3802641)   #2512
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

3 winners...at a guess Jackson, Kane and Boardman?
Tom Boardman in the old SEAT Leon ? that should bring "happy" memories for JP
Old 20 Feb 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3802646)   #2513
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
If a small team like AmD had option on one of the most successful drivers of the modern era, normally I would say yes he will be there but I have a feeling these seats will go to whoever has the biggest cheque book
True, but I also think Shaun wants to really move the team forward this year (from what he has said) and to do that you need a driver like MJ - look at the glimpse of it they had when TOC was in their car and put it in places it had not been before. Equally you could say that MJ would not even consider an AMD drive and they could never attract a driver like that, so perhaps circumstances mean they might need each other?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3802654)   #2514
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and imagine the sheer fun if MJ does get the AMD drive and has in-race contact with a Motorbase car
Old 20 Feb 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3802656)   #2515
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
and imagine the sheer fun if MJ does get the AMD drive and has in-race contact with a Motorbase car
I think he would like to prove a point to motorbase but I would smile if he "accidentally" punted Chilton off lol
Old 20 Feb 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3802657)   #2516
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So as we expected Jelley back with TPR with an ex WSR BMW. I'm sure he'll be more competitive with RWD, he needs to be
Old 20 Feb 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3802659)   #2517
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shaun's playing social media like a hero. Nothing gets excited fans tapping on message boards and Facebook/Twitter about a raceteam or its sponsors than being the source of a rumour themselves. Some people will believe anything...or worse still, add an old name and twist some non-news into 3 pages and 100+ social media hits?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3802662)   #2518
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

'AMD Tuning' aka Shaun Hollamby: "I've got 5 who've been in @DunlopBTCC before, 3 race winners, and 1 rookie I'm talking to for the @RCIBRacing @autoaidbreakd MG seats."

(Robb Gravett then excluded in subsequent tweets)

Here's a list of previous BTCC race winners who haven't got a seat on the 2018 BTCC grid so far and are currently in "active service" or are seen to be not fully retired, should the right opportunity crop up. Apologies if I have missed any and misspelt many.

Andy Priaulx (Ford WEC driver)
Árón Taylor-Smith (Off to some kind of GT drive)
Gordon Shedden (Audi Sport driver, WTCR)
Alain Menu (Retired, unless you have a cheque)
Yvan Muller (Retired, then un-retired, in WTCR)
Dave Newsham (Retired, helping son)
Gabriele Tarquini (Will never retire, in WTCR)
Fabrizio Giovanardi (Chilling, tried to reignite career with a TCR Italy drive, but didn't set the world alight)
Frank Wrathall (Let's not go there, please)
Tom Onslow-Cole (Admitted BTCC defeat)
Steven Kane (Bentley GT driver)
Paul O'Neill (Retired, pundit)
Darren Turner (Aston Martin driver)
Anthony Reid (Retired, unless you have a hand-made British-made GT car to test)
Warren Hughes (Retired, driving instructor)
Robert Huff (In WTCR with Loeb/VW)
Phil Bennett (Retired, flying instructor)
Peter Kox (Acura GT driver)
James Thompson (At the bar)
Luke Hines
Alan Morrison
Gareth Howell
Dan Eaves
Tom Boardman
Mat Jackson

Now, let's break that down into realistic chances. Anything other than these would be a real surprise. Plus, let's not forget, if they don't get the drive, we may never know who they were.

Luke Hines
Tom Boardman
Mat Jackson

Lastly, Shaun could be trolling everyone, and be referring to an Independent race winner, or Production Cup race winner within the BTCC.

Last edited by thlbtcc; 20 Feb 2018 at 15:05.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3802665)   #2519
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s not trolling, it’s marketing. He’s creating a buzz from nothing and he’s doing it well.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3802670)   #2520
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think he would like to prove a point to motorbase but I would smile if he "accidentally" punted Chilton off lol
Talking of drivers who will have a point to prove with other teams, Sam Tordoff has had a subtle dig at (former) 888's preparation standards...

https://twitter.com/samtordoff/statu...98637036875776

Said the MG hasn't looked that clean for about 6 years - and confirmed it was not meant as funny.

Considering he was driving it less than 6 years ago, it's not that complementary of his former team!

Are there any other scores to be settled in 2018?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3802683)   #2521
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb View Post
Could be wrong but I'am sure the new BMW engine is lighter than the old one- effectively reducing the COG, one of the main reasons the Subaru works so well. Still a good move for 1 car team wanting to feature in the point though...IMO
CoG is essentially the same for all the cars now. That's one of the rule changes that hit Subaru last season. They had to bolt weight plates in to raise it up.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3802684)   #2522
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom Boardman's brother is a mechanic at Amd......
Old 20 Feb 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3802694)   #2523
Div
Rookie

Div should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
'AMD Tuning' aka Shaun Hollamby: "I've got 5 who've been in @DunlopBTCC before, 3 race winners, and 1 rookie I'm talking to for the @RCIBRacing @autoaidbreakd MG seats."

(Robb Gravett then excluded in subsequent tweets)

Here's a list of previous BTCC race winners who haven't got a seat on the 2018 BTCC grid so far and are currently in "active service" or are seen to be not fully retired, should the right opportunity crop up. Apologies if I have missed any and misspelt many.

Andy Priaulx (Ford WEC driver)
Árón Taylor-Smith (Off to some kind of GT drive)
Gordon Shedden (Audi Sport driver, WTCR)
Alain Menu (Retired, unless you have a cheque)
Yvan Muller (Retired, then un-retired, in WTCR)
Dave Newsham (Retired, helping son)
Gabriele Tarquini (Will never retire, in WTCR)
Fabrizio Giovanardi (Chilling, tried to reignite career with a TCR Italy drive, but didn't set the world alight)
Frank Wrathall (Let's not go there, please)
Tom Onslow-Cole (Admitted BTCC defeat)
Steven Kane (Bentley GT driver)
Paul O'Neill (Retired, pundit)
Darren Turner (Aston Martin driver)
Anthony Reid (Retired, unless you have a hand-made British-made GT car to test)
Warren Hughes (Retired, driving instructor)
Robert Huff (In WTCR with Loeb/VW)
Phil Bennett (Retired, flying instructor)
Peter Kox (Acura GT driver)
James Thompson (At the bar)
Luke Hines
Alan Morrison
Gareth Howell
Dan Eaves
Tom Boardman
Mat Jackson

Now, let's break that down into realistic chances. Anything other than these would be a real surprise. Plus, let's not forget, if they don't get the drive, we may never know who they were.

Luke Hines
Tom Boardman
Mat Jackson

Lastly, Shaun could be trolling everyone, and be referring to an Independent race winner, or Production Cup race winner within the BTCC.
No James Cole?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3802698)   #2524
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
No James Cole?
According to the jungle drums he’s signed for the 3rd BMR seat.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3802701)   #2525
swooshiain
Racer

Scotland
swooshiain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would pay good money to see Tony Reid back on the grid - always great entertainment!