Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jun 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3908158)   #51
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More updates

The Thundersports grid has now appeared on the event website but also they've not removed the Aston Race.

The Woodcote Trophy and Stirling Moss grids have been combined into one as I imagine due to low entries which is very odd if true.

However on the timetable it is still shown as separate grids.

Link

https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/motor-racing
Old 6 Jun 2019, 04:33 (Ref:3908210)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
The Thundersports grid has now appeared on the event website but also they've not removed the Aston Race.

The Woodcote Trophy and Stirling Moss grids have been combined into one as I imagine due to low entries which is very odd if true.

However on the timetable it is still shown as separate grids.
While it’s not unusual for the two MRL grids to combine, as there are some similarities, it will be a bit annoying to those that have cars entered in both.....
Old 6 Jun 2019, 06:44 (Ref:3908219)   #53
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
While it’s not unusual for the two MRL grids to combine, as there are some similarities, it will be a bit annoying to those that have cars entered in both.....
Spa comes to mind
Old 6 Jun 2019, 07:24 (Ref:3908226)   #54
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't the Silverstone Historic Grand Prix circuit accommodate sixty or so cars ? That is probably close to the total entry of the Woodcote and Stirling Moss Trophies . Even so given that the Thundersports series has historically struggled to top twenty car grids and as has already been mentioned , some will have entered both MRL races , it does seem a strange decision .
Old 6 Jun 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3908227)   #55
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thundersports had 30 cars qualify at Silverstone last month!!!
Old 6 Jun 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3908238)   #56
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Single seater grids seem to get stronger and stronger whilst closed wheel grids are struggling. Am I naive in thinking that single seaters are generally more original and less subject to development than newly built, hot rod modified and downright illegal GTs, sports and saloons. Perhaps people are finally getting fed up with competing with their cheque books rather than their skills. U2TC at Truxton being an example. I was impressed with how pleasantly lacking in glitz the HF2 paddock at Brands was. Just a few guys with spanners and the cars under an awning but a huge entry
Old 6 Jun 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3908286)   #57
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thundersports have two races, 25 minute on Saturday and a 40 minute pit stop race on Sunday. Report on the Classic website.
Old 6 Jun 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3908294)   #58
Willmaz223
Veteran

The phrase 'Increasing demand' makes it sound promising.
Old 6 Jun 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3908309)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Single seater grids seem to get stronger and stronger whilst closed wheel grids are struggling. Am I naive in thinking that single seaters are generally more original and less subject to development than newly built, hot rod modified and downright illegal GTs, sports and saloons. Perhaps people are finally getting fed up with competing with their cheque books rather than their skills. U2TC at Truxton being an example. I was impressed with how pleasantly lacking in glitz the HF2 paddock at Brands was. Just a few guys with spanners and the cars under an awning but a huge entry
I was thinking along the same lines. With Jordan racing and Team Dynamics all restoring historic tourers and sports cars then having current BTCC or ex Professional racers in the seat, it makes competing that much less interesting.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3912638)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Confirmation of our entry for the International Trophy being accepted by the ‘Selection Committee’ received this morning.

Qually Friday, race Sunday PM by looks of it. No excuse for not checking out the rest of the event on Saturday, then!
Old 18 Jun 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3912671)   #61
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Confirmation of our entry for the International Trophy being accepted by the ‘Selection Committee’ received this morning.

Qually Friday, race Sunday PM by looks of it. No excuse for not checking out the rest of the event on Saturday, then!
Hope for another monster grid.Always one of the most competitive races.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3912672)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Should be 58 cars according to Masters- the max track licence allows.....
Old 18 Jun 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3912679)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that the Gent Drivers race? If so I got the e mail telling me that the money would be taken from my account next week.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 15:26 (Ref:3912681)   #64
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Is that the Gent Drivers race? If so I got the e mail telling me that the money would be taken from my account next week.
Yup, GD renamed for the occasion..... So you’re in as well, then? Not sure if delta isn't making a guest appearance also....
Old 18 Jun 2019, 15:52 (Ref:3912686)   #65
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I should be along Saturday & Sunday, when not spectating I expect to be mostly with the Touring Cars but will aim to look out for everyone when on my travels.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3912689)   #66
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep I’m in . The race is on . 😀
Old 18 Jun 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3912691)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yep I’m in . The race is on . 😀
Elite? And I’m not talking about the driver....

Viv, please find us over in the old paddock!
Old 18 Jun 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3912692)   #68
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Should be 58 cars according to Masters- the max track licence allows.....
Yes.Great news.

Apologies if I sound a bit persistent here but do you know the numbers for the other Masters grids?
Old 18 Jun 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3912696)   #69
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Speaking purely from my own point of view as a hobby photographer and spectator, one thing I have always found irritating at the Silverstone Classic is the overlap between the grids.

I'd far rather see something different than have separate races for (for example) both pre-66 and pre-63 GT cars. Similar story for the multiple pre-66 Touring Car grids in some years. Single large grids make for a better viewing spectacle and free up timetable space for more variety, though I recognise that those actually competing are likely to feel differently.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3912699)   #70
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Speaking purely from my own point of view as a hobby photographer and spectator, one thing I have always found irritating at the Silverstone Classic is the overlap between the grids.

I'd far rather see something different than have separate races for (for example) both pre-66 and pre-63 GT cars. Similar story for the multiple pre-66 Touring Car grids in some years. Single large grids make for a better viewing spectacle and free up timetable space for more variety, though I recognise that those actually competing are likely to feel differently.
Donington Historic fest is like that. This year if I owned a Pre 63 GT spec E Type I could have entered 4 races with one car.

Great for drivers but not so much for spectators unless your like me who loves Pre 66 GT.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3912702)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes.Great news.

Apologies if I sound a bit persistent here but do you know the numbers for the other Masters grids?
No idea, I’m afraid. The Int Trophy entry was oversubscribed, so has been whittled down to the circuit max, but that’s all I know.....
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3912703)   #72
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
No idea, I’m afraid. The Int Trophy entry was oversubscribed, so has been whittled down to the circuit max, but that’s all I know.....
Hope that means for spectating that none of the C3 Cobras etc have had to be withdrawn as a result.Do need to get myself along to a Sixties Enduro race
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3912705)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

I get your point, but taking the first example, Masters can get more than 58 cars from their regular competitors, and no doubt Pre ‘63 will get a healthy entry as well, so neither organiser will want to lose out on potential income..... If, as could be the case with MRL, there are less healthy entry numbers (I’m surmising here), then it makes total sense for them to reduce overheads by combining their two races. Silverstone Classic, like DHF, is one overall organisation selling track time to individual race organisers, and all want to show a profit!
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3912707)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Hope that means for spectating that none of the C3 Cobras etc have had to be withdrawn as a result.Do need to get myself along to a Sixties Enduro race
They will have selected a grid that is representative, and not heavy in any particular car model. So if for example, 20 Cobs or E’s entered, I doubt very much if there will be that many on the grid!
Old 18 Jun 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3912735)   #75
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
They will have selected a grid that is representative, and not heavy in any particular car model. So if for example, 20 Cobs or E’s entered, I doubt very much if there will be that many on the grid!
Shame for me but understandable.

I can remember just the days when for example at Brands Hatch they used to get 46 cars just in the C3 class.Sounds alien now.

The description in the programme read:

"15 Jaguar E Types ranged against six AC Cobras, four Chevrolet Corvettes, three Bizzarini 5300 GT's, two Sunbeam Tigers and two TVR Griffiths."

WOW

Where have all the drivers and more importantly cars gone?

At the same event they had 2 512's.