Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2748145)   #1
gt_torque
Rookie

United Kingdom
London, UK
gt_torque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GT - Any fans on here?

Hi all

Just wondered how many people on 10-Tenths are interested in the British GT championship? I'm writing a new blog and will be creating features etc, just trying to gauge an audience on here!

Went to the recent round at Silverstone and while it obviously had a strong field because it was (a) Silverstone and (b) a 2 hour race, the racing was really close and entertaining to boot.

Interested in your thoughts on it compared to Britcar, GT Cup etc too

Cheers!
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2748407)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be good to think so - there are plenty of Brits around , many of whom seemed to have slipped into the shadows recently with some of the US-influenced threads that have taken centre stage over the last few months....
Old 22 Aug 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2748454)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
There is a site I look up the coverage on, and I snag whatever video I can get from it, but not much has been posted lately, at least not that I've seen. I quite like the Ascari, probably partly because there just aren't many of them out there.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2748459)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Ayse, if there were not 6+ weeks in between the top Sportscar racing series rounds on that side of the pond it would retain more chatter on the forum! No?

L.P.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2748462)   #5
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
04.04. UAE Yas Marina
02.05 GB Silverstone
23.05 CZ Brünn
04.07.* F Paul Ricard
01.08. B Spa-Francorchamps
29.08. D Nürburgring
19.09. P Portimao
25.10. ES Navara
28.11. BR Interlagos
05.12. ARG San Luis

Huh?
Old 22 Aug 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2748466)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Dawg doesn't count GT1. I think he's looking mainly at the LMS plus Le Mans itself.

BTW, for the GT1s, it's now Navarra, Spain in place of Durban, as a new street circuit will have to be sorted for the Durban round to be hosted next year.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2748469)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Dawg doesn't count GT1. I think he's looking mainly at the LMS plus Le Mans itself.

BTW, for the GT1s, it's now Navarra, Spain in place of Durban, as a new street circuit will have to be sorted for the Durban round to be hosted next year.
I was just being facetious... hence this guy here:
Old 22 Aug 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2748533)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I was at Silverstone last weekend and right enough the BGT race was pretty good for the reasons mentioned by gt_torque.

But next weekend they will be at Snetterton and I doubt if there will be 20 cars there for the usual two x 1 hour races.

This has always been the trouble with BGT. Not enough teams and/or drivers are prepared to commit themselves to the Championship for an entire season.

In a way, you can't blame them because there are so many alternatives they can take part in that they tend to cherry pick.

In simple terms, the answers are for SRO to make the Championship attractive enough for the teams to want to stick with it for the whole season, and for the teams to organise themselves into an Association so that they can tell SRO what they are looking for with a united voice.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2748996)   #9
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, many interested parties on here
Old 23 Aug 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2749008)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read in Autosport there could be as many as five self built Modena GT3 Gallardos based on the Trofeo car and a couple of United Autosport R8 LMS's next year.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2749021)   #11
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brit GT was what first got me hooked on sportscar racing. Back in '96/97 (can't recall off the top of my head).
Emka McLaren F1, Gforce Porsche, Lister, Harrier + everything this side of a hackney carriage.

Lost the way in my opinion by trying to work with international regs to the letter, but it's back on the path to true righteousness.

I just worry if the UK is big enough for 3 series (5 if you count GT trophy & Britcar Production as separate)
Old 23 Aug 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2749028)   #12
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I read in Autosport there could be as many as five self built Modena GT3 Gallardos based on the Trofeo car
Local homologation?
Old 23 Aug 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2749031)   #13
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to find a reason to get into Brit GT, but the lack of numbers on the grid is putting me off at the moment. I was going to go to Donington this year but not sure now. Seems crazy to me having three series (Brit GT, GT Cup, Britcar) even if the regs differ. In the current climate I am also not sure that so many championships can be sustained. Seem to see a lot of championships being duplicated at the moment, working together has got to be the answer in these trying times because it ain't going to go away in a hurry!
Old 23 Aug 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2749052)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Local homologation?
Yes.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2749068)   #15
Speed-King
Veteran

That is, of course, if they want to stay with GT3 in the long term - it's an interesting starting point for a way out if the plan is a transition to a homegrown ruleset that still allows GT3s to be competitive.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2749488)   #16
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Would love to find a reason to get into Brit GT, but the lack of numbers on the grid is putting me off at the moment. I was going to go to Donington this year but not sure now. Seems crazy to me having three series (Brit GT, GT Cup, Britcar) even if the regs differ. In the current climate I am also not sure that so many championships can be sustained. Seem to see a lot of championships being duplicated at the moment, working together has got to be the answer in these trying times because it ain't going to go away in a hurry!

I tend to agree with this, how do the costs compare across the 3 series?

Courageous: The list of cars you mention was 98 I think
Old 24 Aug 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2749528)   #17
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
I tend to agree with this, how do the costs compare across the 3 series?
Unfortunatley, I have no idea but I am assuming that there are differences. I am sure some of the other posters on here will be able to enlighten us.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2749569)   #18
renkadima
Rookie

renkadima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Unfortunatley, I have no idea but I am assuming that there are differences. I am sure some of the other posters on here will be able to enlighten us.
I believe it goes something like:

"How much?!!"

"HOW MUCH?!!"

and

"OH MY GOD!!!"
Old 24 Aug 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2749679)   #19
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the better grid that the Silverstone 2 hours attracted suggests that the 2x sprint race format, particularly on circuits as uninspiring as Rockingham, is less attractive on average to the potential clients for Brit GT right now. I think the SRO should think about opening up the format a little bit - the Silverstone race was also by far the most entertaining of the year for spectators from what I can infer, so why not please all the stakeholders and interested parties more at the same time?!
Old 24 Aug 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2749727)   #20
Speed-King
Veteran

Good point, cmk. GT3 in Belgian GT/Belcar has grown leaps and bounds since they re-introduced the endurance format.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2749734)   #21
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spectated at all 3 of the mentioned series, GT cup (and GT trophy) as well as Britcar and British GT at Brands (well BGT comes in september, but seen in previous years), GT cup provides the closest and IMO the best racing By far. Huge entry lists, 43 cars at the superleague formula event, which is much higher than the other series. Interestingly the GT trophy ( an endurance format of the GT cup) at brands recieved entries only in the high teen's...showing the popularity of the shorter format in this series at least. Gt cup is the stronger series and I much prefer it to BGT an Britcar. (I also prefer the shorter format)
Old 25 Aug 2010, 07:45 (Ref:2749809)   #22
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Assume this must be down to cost? Having Croft as my nearest track I can't really get to see much GT unless I travel. Britcar came this year but the entry was poor, I think they were only there because of Donington being out of action. Most of them usually visit Oulton and I assume they'll be back at Donington next year. I hadn't realised GT Cup was so strong, I've never attended a full MSV day of racing but will have to make the effort next year. Would the cars from Brit GT be eligible for GT Cup? Would make more sense to have them all in one place.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 05:59 (Ref:2750388)   #23
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Assume this must be down to cost? Having Croft as my nearest track I can't really get to see much GT unless I travel. Britcar came this year but the entry was poor, I think they were only there because of Donington being out of action. Most of them usually visit Oulton and I assume they'll be back at Donington next year. I hadn't realised GT Cup was so strong, I've never attended a full MSV day of racing but will have to make the effort next year. Would the cars from Brit GT be eligible for GT Cup? Would make more sense to have them all in one place.
The MSV days are very good - decent price and completely free pitlane and paddock (I was watching on the pit wall at Silverstone last year and freely walking around all the garages), although that could depend upon the circuit.

I believe the idea behind GT Cup is to allow GT3 cars, but it tends to be just the older ones. For the most part, I believe GT Cup is derived straight from the old class in BGT of the same name which ran until the end of 2007. Just a shame that Keith Ahlers had retired his trusty old Aero 8 by then!
Old 27 Aug 2010, 07:02 (Ref:2750927)   #24
gt_torque
Rookie

United Kingdom
London, UK
gt_torque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your feedback guys.

Would it be fair to say then that from a competitors point of view, BGT is viewed as the expensive option over Britcar and GTCup. But, perhaps despite it being more organised and structured, its expense puts people off. Also, from your comments it seems like views are split on whether the series would be best to focus on a longer, 2 hour format, or to stick with its current 2 x 1hour sprint format.

From a fans point of view, the grids are too small, but progress on this has been acknowledged by you.

Thanks for your help, its been really useful. Feel free to add to this post, I'll be interested in everyone's thoughts as and when they stumble upon this post.

I'm going to Snetterton this weekend, and I think I need some new rain gear!

Cheers,
James
Old 27 Aug 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2751073)   #25
old man
Veteran

England
UK
I think the 2 x 1hour sprints with a mandatory pit stop is a false situation for GT racing. The 2 hour format is the natural and none of the cars can run that long without a pit stop so it is not contrived. Did they stipualte a minimum pit stop time? If so again it is contrived and would be better IMO to allow a team to chose when to pit and show their skill at quick turn round in the pit. Perhaps the entry at Silverstone reflected that and the comment by Speed King about Belgium is worth SRO giving some thought to. Don't SRO run at least one of those championships or has it moved on?