Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 12 Nov 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2789351)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
"The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race" book series

I came across this book series:

Le Mans 24 Hours | The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1950-59 (expected at: 01-06-2011)

Le Mans 24 Hours | The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1960-69 (available)

Le Mans 24 Hours | The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1970-79 (expected at: 01-04-2011)

There will be also books about the other decades (8 books in total).

Anyone read the 1960-69 book?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2789353)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
And there is the The Encyclopedia Le Mans 24 Hours 1923-2010 which consists of 3 books covering 1923-2010.

Anyone read these 3 books?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2789386)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll leave this here for a while, but it will really have to go to Armchair at some point.....
Old 12 Nov 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2789387)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not read them but I'm pretty sure Bentley and I saw them in the ACO museum shop in June......
Old 13 Nov 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2789619)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm making my way through the 1960's one at the moment.
I'm not a huge collector of Le Mans books (although there doesn't seem to be anything really in the English language to rival this) but I have to say it is a really nice book. Split up nicely into each race you get the poster, full entry list and race results, hourly race positions etc - so it covers you nicely if you're into the facts and numbers side of things.

The races are presented with an overview of the race and then, a feature I like, is that each year is split up into smaller snippets of information regarding a car or a team which gives you more personal and anecdotal information about that year. So it allows you to build up a picture without bombarding you with thick weighty chunks of text.

Then obviously you have the pictures. Lots of great shots and I think that is the strength of the book. Really great to see shots of the cars buried in the sand pit at Mulsanne corner and things like that. It really gave me an appreciation for a decade I had little knowledge of, especially the early 60's.

Like I say someone maybe more well versed in motorsport books might have a different opinion but I'd say it's well worth buying. It's not even an expensive book to purchase and I can't wait to get the later volumes when they come out.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2790916)   #6
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Encyclopedia

Hi,

The three volume Le Mans 1923-2010 history will be published in December. I saw proofs of the first volume at Le Mans in June. It is published by the same people who publish the French language magazine "Le Mans Racing". It promises to include pictures of every car to ever take the start and most of those that practised only. It should have been released in July, but they received a flood of material that they had to include.

The "Le Mans 24 Hours | The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1960-69" is simply superb and recommended for the photos alone. It is written by Quentin Spurring who was an Autosport columnist, during the 70's and 80's I think.

I'll need to reinforce my study floor with the volume and weight of Le Mans books now available!!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2791102)   #7
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh View Post
The "Le Mans 24 Hours | The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1960-69" is simply superb and recommended for the photos alone. It is written by Quentin Spurring who was an Autosport columnist, during the 70's and 80's I think.
I think he was editor for a while about that time?
Agreed - very high quality photos, editorial and production. ...... but it's about Le Mans so what's not to like?
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2791254)   #8
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
And there is the The Encyclopedia Le Mans 24 Hours 1923-2010 which consists of 3 books covering 1923-2010.

Anyone read these 3 books?
Just waiting for it . Latest Info is that the German Version appears end of November .
Old 15 Nov 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2791271)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Thanks for your replies.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2791324)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh View Post
Hi,

The three volume Le Mans 1923-2010 history will be published in December. I saw proofs of the first volume at Le Mans in June. It is published by the same people who publish the French language magazine "Le Mans Racing". It promises to include pictures of every car to ever take the start and most of those that practised only. It should have been released in July, but they received a flood of material that they had to include.
Will the pics be different to those used in the 1923-1992 edition? Also will it include DNQs?
Old 15 Nov 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2791351)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Pass.

Not sure how we're likely to know that........
Old 16 Nov 2010, 07:18 (Ref:2791448)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
From the proofs that iucrmh saw?
Old 16 Nov 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2791476)   #13
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Encyclopedia

As I understand it, there will be pictures of all the cars that appeared in Le Mans week, i.e. including the DNQs and DSQs, withdrawn, etc. There are details in English and French at:
http://www.encyclopediedes24heures.com/

The original 1923-1992 book was missing some of the cars from 1924/5 I think, but
I read that a draw of the missing photos was found some years ago. Hopefully, most
of the pictures in the new volume are different from those in the new one.

Looks like a busy Christmas of reading ;-)
Old 22 Nov 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2794388)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
From the proofs that iucrmh saw?

Good point!
Old 9 Dec 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2802115)   #15
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Waiting is over !! Get today the german version from the Book / The Official Chronic of the 24h of Le Mans / Editor : ACO . Christmas Holidays could be very busy .