Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Jul 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2933898)   #1
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other countries marshal clothing

In the UK we tend to accept that orange probans are the given marshal uniform although not mandatory it is highly recommended.

Do other countries have the same set up with colour and fire resistance,or are they all different?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2933901)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
In the UK we tend to accept that orange probans are the given marshal uniform although not mandatory it is highly recommended.

Do other countries have the same set up with colour and fire resistance,or are they all different?
<cough> Black at the home of the British GP

Other countries tend to use different colours
Canada - White
US GP at Indy was blue polycotton overalls that you had to hand back, normal race meetings tend to white.
France - Grey the predominant colour will be fireproof
Germany - mostly Orange proban/nomex, some grey
Old 31 Jul 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2933971)   #3
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
US white.
Aus is, I think, white.

keke
Old 31 Jul 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2933977)   #4
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canada it's predominantly white, and I wear single layer Nomex. U.S. is white as well.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2934011)   #5
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
local variation.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gptrucks...84228811593186

Nogaro, france
red.white & yellow.
How many flags can you clash with?

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 31 Jul 2011 at 15:18. Reason: damn red x
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2934058)   #6
Andy Johns
Racer

England
Salisbury
Andy Johns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Abu Dhabi the gave us grey ones that were too small and of questionable resistance to fire!
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2934077)   #7
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like plastic ponchos, as worn by British gereatrics, were the order of the day at Hungaroring. Reliably informed available from Poundshop.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2934233)   #8
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Australia are white, still using the same set of overalls that were used at the 1996 AGP. We are changing to orange (slowly) apparently FIA/FOM want all officials to look the same everywhere...
Old 1 Aug 2011, 02:55 (Ref:2934274)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
We are changing to orange (slowly)
Not quite grasshopper

The F1GP Corp cant afford to buy us new coveralls (polyester at that) or even replace the originals as they become unusable so they're simply issuing out the orange bike GP overalls to the track marshals and by giving the Spectator Marshals the Khyber they've had a heap of thier coveralls they can keep issuing out to those of us still working at Albert Park.

Away from the F1GP here in Victoria the flaggies are usually in white, Firies in Red (yellow at Winton), Scrutineers in black pants & light blue shirts, Medics depends on which group is covering the event. Other groups such as Recovery & Grid/Pit wear polo shirts, the Orange/Blue wet weather gear seems to have become the official/unofficial choice when it's cold or wet these days mainly due to being suitable and cheap as well as complying with OH&S laws for the non motorsport word.

In NSW it's a mixture of White or Orange while in South Australia it's White & Orange coveralls from memory.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 05:57 (Ref:2934303)   #10
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
i seen on tv that there seemed to be a lot of marshals at the nurburgring that seemed to have a heap of green and tiny bit of orange...?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2934351)   #11
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do they were black at silverstone ?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2934373)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
In NSW it's a mixture of White or Orange while in South Australia it's White & Orange coveralls from memory.
They were definitely orange and white when I went last year.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2934377)   #13
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postie View Post

Don't ask !
Old 1 Aug 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2934387)   #14
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
my auto 66 ones are mostly blue and orange stripe, but theyre forgiven, theyre bikes total different thing.

bit silly considering the tarmac is black, and you can tell them a mile off at other circuits, id have liked to see them in pink and orange, much more friendly...
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2934682)   #15
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
judging by the wildlife (little, annoying black bugs) I attracted to my orange overalls at the GP, may I suggest that the overalls are actually orange with lots of wildlife attracted to them and ground in with lots of use...

but as Stroller suggest, that question does open a bit of a can. I'll let others tackle that bit...
Old 2 Aug 2011, 01:59 (Ref:2934790)   #16
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Away from the F1GP here in Victoria the flaggies are usually in white, Firies in Red (yellow at Winton), Scrutineers in black pants & light blue shirts, Medics depends on which group is covering the event.
Sounds like us in North America. The first time a British marshal showed up in a tango suit many people thought he was e-crew (rescue). The e-crew guys kept trying to haul him off to their morning meetings, etc.

The funny part is when people bring their suits to Long Beach. They soon realize that one of the reasons we wear white (and running shoes and often short sleeves) is that agility and not dying from the heat are big deals here. I and my fellow communicators often wear short sleeves. If a burning car gets anywhere near me that's a real problem for more than just me -- the communicator is the most protected member of the marshalling team on a station. After all, who's going to tell race control about a catastrophe if the communicator isn't able to?
keke
Old 2 Aug 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2934974)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As you'll have realised from visiting us, dying from the heat is not a common problem on British circuits. Hypothermia, even in August, is more likely.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2935008)   #18
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
As you'll have realised from visiting us, dying from the heat is not a common problem on British circuits. Hypothermia, even in August, is more likely.

And black overalls help absorb what little sun there is

I always wonder why Spanish marshals all wear hard hats?
Old 2 Aug 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2935056)   #19
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
But also radiate more heat
Old 2 Aug 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2935058)   #20
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Dijon last year, it was orange or white along with chair, umbrella and fag all that were deployed during racing
Old 2 Aug 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2935097)   #21
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
and fag all that were deployed during racing
I was hoping you meant FLAG but knowing the French.....!!!!!
Old 2 Aug 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2935106)   #22
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post

I always wonder why Spanish marshals all wear hard hats?
pretty much all european f1 rounds you may notice they all wear hardhats/construction safety style (with visor and clipabble ear defenders)/firemans hats(monaco).
Old 4 Aug 2011, 03:10 (Ref:2935635)   #23
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marshals at Spa last weekend
Attached Thumbnails
DH000056.jpeg   DH000073.jpeg  
Old 4 Aug 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2935781)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Marshals at Spa last weekend
On the right hand side of the first image - is that how you spell 'YMCA' in Walloon?
Old 4 Aug 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2935840)   #25
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the marshal in orange, has just pole axed the person in the blue trousers, orange band in the center of the first picture.

Kyalami marshals in SA wear an orange sponsored shirt, at the moment by Subaru, and jeans.
Attached Images