Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 26 Apr 2002, 14:33 (Ref:271293)   #1
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Variable Valve timing

I know variable valve timing was first used in a production car in 1991 with the Honda NSX, but when was it first used in a car, ever? I need that info for an assignment i'm doing at college, and any help on that question would be appreciated.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 06:51 (Ref:271883)   #2
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Variable Valve timing

It's a method that advances camshaft timing to improve engine performance. A hydraulic mechanism on the cam drive uses oil pressure to rotate the cam's position slightly as engine speed changes. This increases valve duration to produce more horsepower at higher rpms. Variable valve timing is also known as the VTEC and used by most of Honda cars nowadays. Other carmakers followed suit, such as BMW & Toyota.

When i'm not so sure, maybe you could visit the Honda site and search.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 14:33 (Ref:272160)   #3
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doubt it was the first time it was done, but we had a small block Chevy in a drag car that we could change the cam timing while on the track back in '69. Mechanism was nothing more than an extra link in the timing chain, and a set of idler gears on a slider mechanism controlled from the cockpit. Worked great.
Old 28 Apr 2002, 14:21 (Ref:272368)   #4
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know what Variable valve timing is used for, it's when was it first used in a car ever that i'm looking for, I need it for the part in my introduction that has the history of this Technology.
Any links that anyone knows about will be very much appreciated.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 19:33 (Ref:273562)   #5
roscoe
Rookie

Australia
Hampshire, England
roscoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure when it was first used in prototype form but Alfa Romeo had it on production cars around 1981, long before the likes of Honda etc. It was used either on a Guiletta or an Alfetta, I think it also had a turbo. Like a lot of things I think you will find it was first used in motorsport.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 02:39 (Ref:273861)   #6
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VVT and VTEC are not the same thing. Jukebox describes VVT. VTEC uses multiple camlobes. The low speed lobes have relatively mild lift and duration, the highspeed lobes are much more aggressive. The change over point is typically around 5000rpm.

Hondas i-VTEC engines combine VVT and VTEC.

I've looked all around the web for info on the first use of VVT, but can't find anything. Good luck OVERSTEER.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 03:51 (Ref:273892)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VTEC stands for a combination of Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control to be precise. Car manufacturers came up with different names but it's all the same which will only be felt on higher revs (variable rpms to different carmakers), Toyota calls it VVT, BMW calls it double VANOS and Porsche calls it VarioCam.

i-VTEC is a combination of VTEC and Variable Timing Control.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 11:39 (Ref:274226)   #8
con-rod
Rookie

con-rod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to mention Ferrari have there own system (not sure which cars though) and Jag too.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 16:12 (Ref:274487)   #9
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets define what we are talking about.

Cam Phasing VVT - varies the valve timing by shifting the phase angle of the camshafts. The camshaft is rotated depending on RPM and sometimes other factors. It can be done either in a continuous fashion or in discrete steps. This is by far the commonest system and the least effective. Note that it does not vary the lift or the duration.

This system is called Double VANOS by BMW, VarioCam by Porsche and VVT-i by Toyota. It is also used by Ferrari, Ford, Jaguar, Audi, Volkswagon, Subaru, Renault and others.

Cam Changing VVT - varies the valve lift and duration in discrete steps by using multiple lobes to drive the valves. Low speed lobes are tuned for torque and high speed lobes have greater lift and duration for race car like horsepower. Note the timing can not be changed continuosly as in the other system.

This system is called VTEC by Honda.

Cam Phasing and Cam Changing VVT - Combines the two systems.

Honda calls it i-VTEC, Porsche VarioCam PLUS, Toyota VVTL-i.

This is a very good link:
http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_s...gine/vvt_2.htm
Old 10 May 2002, 09:51 (Ref:281653)   #10
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by roscoe
I'm not sure when it was first used in prototype form but Alfa Romeo had it on production cars around 1981, long before the likes of Honda etc. It was used either on a Guiletta or an Alfetta, I think it also had a turbo. Like a lot of things I think you will find it was first used in motorsport.
variable cam timing on an alfa?????
what, when the timing belt became loose??
Old 17 May 2002, 08:56 (Ref:288683)   #11
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by calais

variable cam timing on an alfa?????
what, when the timing belt became loose??
I think you will find that the 1980's Giulietta (note spelling) and Alfetta had chain driven overhead cams.... otherwise it would have been quite funny.

I'm told the main benefits were 1) marketing and 2) allows good overlap for top end and not only better drivability at lower revs but most importantly passes emissions tests, which is difficult with lots of overlap.

Don't think the VVT was ever combined with a Turbo on the factory cars (Alfa 75 Turbo didn't have VVT), but they did combine with twin spark head in the Alfa 75 Twinspark, giving 148bhp from 1962cc, which wasn't bad for mid 80's saloon with 2 valves per cylinder.

Last edited by alfasud; 17 May 2002 at 09:00.
Old 17 May 2002, 10:21 (Ref:288740)   #12
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did a bit of research and it seems that Alfa Romeo first used VVT (Cam Phasing type) in the Bosch Fuel Injected Spider and Alfetta models sold in the U.S.A. I've found a couple of references to these with 1980 being the first year:

http://www.google.com/search?q=alfa+...ve+timing+1980

And before someone tells me the carsfromitaly.com links don't work:
http://www.carsfromitaly.com/alfaromeo/index.html

You need to then select "Models", then select "Spider" to take you to the correct page.

I'm not sure if the advantage is so great in racing, as you change gears to keep in a reasonably narrow rev range. I know every little bit helps, and I'm sure it's at least been tried in F1, but maybe not before 1980.