Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Mar 2003, 12:42 (Ref:538840)   #1
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
hartham has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Diesel in 04 - who do you think will do it?

Has anyone heard anything about any manufacturers planning to develop a diesel entry for Le Mans in 2004? Maybe Audi is returning in 04 with a audi badged version of the VW V10 diesel? What about BMW?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 12:45 (Ref:538842)   #2
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i reckon vw will be most likely, possibly in a bugatti? theyve done all the groundwork so it seems silly not to take it to higher championships
Old 17 Mar 2003, 12:51 (Ref:538848)   #3
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that VW seems most likely, but I doubt it would be in a bugatti as this is one of their 'premium' brands.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:20 (Ref:538880)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diesels have a reputation of belonging to trucks and tractors, i doubt that Bugatti will be used as gi_gav said, "this is one of their 'premium' brands" and Diesels dont have the image yet as fast.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:42 (Ref:538919)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's a really good idea. VW is the obvious choice, and possibly one of the french manufacturers.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:43 (Ref:538922)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey! Bung it in the Debora!

That way, if its very slow, no-one will notice!!!

Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:52 (Ref:538931)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is it with you and the Debora. The way you mention it so often makes me think that you might actually like it
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:56 (Ref:538936)   #8
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
surely the VW and other passenger road car units are too heavy? they would be giving away 200Kg+ to the petrol race engines!! and that would really mess with the handling....
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:59 (Ref:538941)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Standing joke for me about the Debora. Always slow, always a mobile chicane, but always got an entry from the ACO, when other, perhaps more deserving entries were rejected. IMHO
Old 17 Mar 2003, 15:31 (Ref:539017)   #10
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems unlikely that a diesel will run anytime soon. I believe I read that one of the mandates is that a diesel "must not exhibit any visable exhaust" It may be awhile until any manufacturer would be willing to try. Manufacturers are still interested in winning and mileage, fuel capacity and the smoke issues are probably too big of trade offs in pursuit of victory. If anybody does it it will likely be a Nasamax type effort and not from a manufacturer.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 15:42 (Ref:539029)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
Diesels have
had

Quote:
a reputation of belonging to trucks and tractors
20 years ago!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 15:54 (Ref:539035)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
still not in my oppinion, i agree that diesels have come out of the darkness and may be of some use to people who want to use them for something else than plowing a field or pulling a trailer but i still feel that amoung the general public diesels still have a poor reputation.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 15:55 (Ref:539038)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
BTW, the Idée verte project's withdrawn for 2003...
Old 17 Mar 2003, 15:57 (Ref:539040)   #14
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
Fab.... what's the Idée verte project? Is it the Nasamax entry?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 15:59 (Ref:539043)   #15
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
Lets hope that motorsport can change the public perception of diesels...... and advance the technology at a faster rate, an advantage that gasolines have enjoyed over diesels for far too long!!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 15:59 (Ref:539044)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

It was a GPL car (nothing to do with the game ; it means Gaz de Pétrole Liquéfié, well it's gaz...), in a WR chassis...

Last edited by Fab; 17 Mar 2003 at 16:00.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:58 (Ref:539138)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LPG (propane ou butane) en français est "GPL." Idée verte n'est pas liée au nasamax (hormis être une voiture alternative de carburant). Right, Fab?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Mar 2003, 17:03 (Ref:539150)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
LPG (propane ou butane) en français est "GPL." Idée verte n'est pas liée au nasamax (hormis être une voiture alternative de carburant). Right, Fab?
Paul, I'm impressed ! Ou plutôt, je suis impressioné ! Comme tu es parfaitement bilingue, je vais pouvoir tenir mon premier long discours en Français !

No, calm down, I'll stop here for our friends ! Yes, it's LPG. There's indeed no connection betwenn nasamax and Idée Verte, which is more a kind of 'scientifical' project (in the good meaning of the term)...
Old 17 Mar 2003, 18:20 (Ref:539235)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
N'obtenez pas passionnan'au sujet de mon Français, Fab - c'est inachevé, automatisé, ET des quebecois!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Mar 2003, 21:18 (Ref:539465)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could you just imagine listening to a full racing field of diesels?!!!!!!!!!! UUhgggg!!!!! Racing would never be the same!!!!!

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Mar 2003, 22:07 (Ref:539528)   #21
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
does anyone know what a race tuned diesel sounds like?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 22:27 (Ref:539558)   #22
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
quiet..... top revs will be about 4,500 so the thing will whistle past like a ghost down the straights!!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 23:01 (Ref:539600)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
There was that VW Golf Deisel rally car that only revved that high, did alright i think
Old 18 Mar 2003, 01:09 (Ref:539702)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
BMW seem likely candidates; they won the Nurburgring 24 Hours in '98 with a diesel 3-series. But, in truth, I doubt we'll see a diesel prototype for some time yet.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 01:18 (Ref:539706)   #25
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think i remeber a VW diesel golf MK5 when i went to the DTM races last year, didn't notice any difference in the way it sounded, probably cause i was paying more attention to the guy driving the nuts off a MK1 in the lead, looked awesome....
I would have to go with the genral oppinion that VW/Audi would probably be the first to use a diesel, they have been doing a lot of other racing programmes with these engines.
Ed