Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Drifting

Old 7 Apr 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1572833)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And introduce a regulation only allowing huge V8's and 155 rear tyres (should keep Al and Rob happy!)?
You been reading the Post Historic rules again Dennis:-)
Old 7 Apr 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1573383)   #2
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you think about it Al, our V8 beasties, and Mr Thurston's Essencort are probably better suited to "drifting" than the Triple turbo'd nitrous gassed supra's and skylines.
Our V8's oooze grunt at sensible revs, and that's what you need for "navigation via the side windows".
As long as they offer extra marks for "sounding bleedin' awesome" instead of poppy whistly dump-valve, we'll be well away!
Old 8 Apr 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1573676)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well I have some hard old Falkens mounted on rims so where do we go:-)

Hey editing has changed, thats cool!
Old 8 Apr 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1573727)   #4
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't matter too much what you drive, because drifting all comes down to driver skill. I saw a young fella turn up in his mums R31 Skyline and make the final 16 competition. This is a guy who had never tried drifting before. I am a racer at heart but the more I see of drifting the more I enjoy it.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 12:28 (Ref:1573854)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And I bet his mum went back to the tyre shop raising merry hell about the wear rate on her cars rear tyres :-).

I suppose there are two positive things here that spring to mind, (1) It is eons better than that stupid youth trend of fitting the biggest sound system in the world in your car and (2) It does not require all the safety crap (read big money and mods to your car) that we racers have to have so like you man in his mum's car it is simply turn up and have a go, (now where was it that hires out Vauxhall Monaros?). Oh and a third, at least the sounds and sights of an engine and car being used together are all there.

All joking aside, if this does catch on I bet there will be a lot of hire cars being returned with severely nackered tyres:-)
Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1573930)   #6
Mark Twain
Rookie

Mark Twain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best part of the whole the drifting scenario is that these young people are not on the streets and they are competing in a controlled enviroment.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1574051)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you say R31 Skyline - ahhh a real Skyline with no ponsy comfort trim. Shut the door, it sounds like a tin shed. Tread the right hand pedal and yeeee haaaarrr. I do like those, even if they are two cylinders and a lot of capacity short.

Where's the next drifty day out then? Near Wingham, Kent, Safeway's/Tesco's/ASDA's etc.. carpark?

Rob.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1575057)   #8
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I remember that guy in the r31, he wasnt too bad. It was his mum's car and I think he was a local guy that turned up in the morning to watch, but then went and bought a licence, passed scruitineering and joined the competition. It was a round of the Drift Australia Nationals to. Which makes it even more impressive.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1575209)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I suppose you could say then that if a complete novice in a borrowed car can do so well that there is not a lot of skill required, but I won't:-)
Old 10 Apr 2006, 07:03 (Ref:1575232)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I suppose you could say then that if a complete novice in a borrowed car can do so well that there is not a lot of skill required, but I won't:-)
And if a complete novice got in a borrowed race car and won a race they'd be hailed as the next "Senna"......
Old 10 Apr 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1577894)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I reckon old Racing59 will be doing plenty of drifting at Brands this weekend if he gets that 6.6 Belmont out at last:-).