Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Closed Thread

Old 13 Oct 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2310874)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to the Historic Image Archive

Welcome to the Historic Image Archive. This has been set up in response to the collection of photographs being revealed to us for the first time by our new member, cub. The photographs were taken by his father, navyflier, who has also just joined us. We believe this collection is of sufficient historical importance and interest to warrant this approach. However, please continue to add your posts with comments/info/discussion points just as you would in our other forums.

Below is part of a post from cub that appears in one of the new threads which explains his approach to the task ahead. We are delighted that he has chosen 10-Tenths to display these wonderful images:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub
My father is the photographer. He was and remains an enthusiast for all motor sports. My mother worked in a photography shop and had access to early colour film and bought him a Voigtlander 120 format camera. They embarked on many, many adventures to various locations across Europe at a time when few people chose to drive around the continent for holidays. All of his slides are glass mounted but with rapidly deteriorating and very sticky taped edges.

My exercise now involves cutting the film out of the glass mounts, scanning and manipulating the result to produce a digital emulation of some truly fascinating material. I am then re-housing the original film in some modern plastic folders. I am lucky that my Dad is still around to recall various facts about the people and places involved and sharing the results with a knowledgeable and appreciative community like 10-tenths would seem a good way to share the pleasure.

We are concious that publishing the pictures on a public forum makes them vulnerable to intellectual theft but on balance we feel that sharing some wonderful memories with an appreciative audience is worth the risk rather than leaving them to deteriorate in some dusty boxes.

I hope the mods will allow me to roll out results as and when I get the time to do the scanning and drip feed the threads as my Dad and I catalogue the results.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Oct 2008 at 08:15.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2314667)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With their permission, I am now able to tell you that cub is Jonathan Smith, and navyflier is his father, Archie. Thank you, both. This has really added a new dimension to our historic forum.
Closed Thread