Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 12 Aug 2003, 18:35 (Ref:686489)   #1
alfaracer
Rookie

alfaracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch GP Circuit

Can anyone help me with this one.

I am racing an Alfa this Saturday on the GP track and am trying to find out what a competitive time is now that they have changed Dingle Dell.

Lap record before was 1 min 50.8 seconds. Is the track now quicker or slower. It would be good to know before going out to qualify what kind of time is needed for pole.

Any help appreciated.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 09:13 (Ref:686928)   #2
david_james2000
Rookie

david_james2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure when the superbikes raced on thr GP circute there where a little slower

dunno if that help's
haven't really seen a car race on the GP circute this year
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:33 (Ref:687076)   #3
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HSCC superprix was run on the GP loop earlier on in the year. Their website might list qualifying times and results. try www.hscc.org.uk
Old 13 Aug 2003, 21:41 (Ref:687597)   #4
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically the times are the same despite the alteration.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 08:25 (Ref:687875)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I raced in the Gentlemen Drivers race at the HSCC meeting and found it easier on the car as you dont end up clipping the two kerbs, having said that my engine self destructed on the second lap of a 1 hour race so I am not the best qualified to answer!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 19:20 (Ref:688466)   #6
alfaracer
Rookie

alfaracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the input.

I did find a bike site that reckoned it was a second a lap slower, but I guess it depends on how much the car/bike you run with was able to use the kerbs before.

I did notice that at the apex of the corner is a wide area (probably a car width at least), of that crossed sunken rubber matting. I wonder how usable that will be grip wise and also whether you are "allowed" to use it all. It would certainly straighten the corner significanly.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 08:11 (Ref:690869)   #7
Rocktracer
Racer

Rocktracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how did your racing go? I did see rather a few bent Alfa's!!!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 09:38 (Ref:690949)   #8
SuperDavros
Rookie

SuperDavros should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what happenned in the Alfa race, as suddenly there was chaos?
Old 18 Aug 2003, 09:54 (Ref:690963)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Someone blew an engine at Druids and mayhem followed. Three cars into the tyre wall on the exit of Druids meant we had to call for a race stop. Sorry guys.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 10:16 (Ref:690979)   #10
SuperDavros
Rookie

Stephen, were you at Druids by any chance? If so, you weren't the marshal who ran accross the track at Druids to inspect the oil slick?
Old 18 Aug 2003, 10:31 (Ref:690994)   #11
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

jamescrofts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Stephen (Green),

Great to see you at Druids on Saturday. I took some great shots of Neil Purdie before his off. They should be in the Exchange and Mart on Thursday.

James
Old 18 Aug 2003, 10:36 (Ref:690998)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
SuperDavros, I was the Observer at Post 5 (entrance to Druids) and I did run across after the race was stopped. Red shoes much in evidence this weekend!

James, I wondered what happened to Neil as he suddenly 'disappeared' on Saturday and didn't re-appear on Sunday. I was hoping to chat at greater length after our brief 'hello' after the marshals briefing on Saturday morning
Old 18 Aug 2003, 10:40 (Ref:691004)   #13
SuperDavros
Rookie

HI Stephen, Congratulations on Catching the Priest!

I was driving the black 33 (#34), which hit the stationary orange coloured 75 at the top of Druids and continued on, just before the others went crazy!

As the red flag was out, no chance to wave to all the marshals - next time!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:33 (Ref:691047)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ah bad luck, that was rather unfortunate and you didn't really have anywhere to go I'm afraid. It was a bit of a frenetic race and it's unfortunate it ended the way it did. I hope the guys manage to get the cars repaired before the next race.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:03 (Ref:691152)   #15
alfa57
Rookie

alfa57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I was one of the four cars that went into the wall very hard.

What we couldn't work out was why it wasn't until four cars hit the wall that the red flags came out.

The car who's oil it was was 10 - 15 secs behind the leaders. I have pictures that show the oil slick was 4+ feet wide and 20 feet long on the apex. There was one and a half minutes before us leaders came round to do something about it.

We also have two in-car videos that proves beyond question that when the 5 leaders arrived the ONLY oil flag or yellow flag was 3/4 of the way round Druids - too late for us to do anything about it.

The marshalls there all accused us of not obeying flag signals. Too right we didn't as there weren't any until we had already turned in to the corner and couldn't slow down any more.

I'm afraid it was an avoidable accident that the officials are ducking away from their responsibility - I thought safety came as No 1 - obviously not when there's a packed programme and a 6.30 curfew !!

Who failed in their duties? Did anyone marshaling / observing at Druids call for a red flag before we got there? If so - why didn't race control respond? If not - why not? Spectators in the Paddock stand could see the slick and new exactly what was about to happen as the leaders came overe the start line a minute after the oil apeared - they could just sit there and wait for the inevitable.