Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Feb 2016, 23:57 (Ref:3614694)   #76
JDMROB
Racer

JDMROB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't help but agree with the negative comments I'm afraid. Can't see the point in the whole thing. Going to be nothing like the BTCC, no one will want to damage anything so it'll be pretty much a processional affair. Hardly a great step into the BTCC. Ideal for the wealthy people who aren't rich enough for BTCC but want to 'race' a touring car I suppose but I cant see it taking off. Anyone half serious about progressing in tin tops is naturally going to do something on the Toca package.

Really don't know why Kieran Gallagher has entered. I'm sorry but he'd be far better off going into Clio's if he's serious about BTCC.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3614696)   #77
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Why is their first round at a big Easter Truck race meeting then?
Truck meetings aren't immune from having small grids on the support package - I can recall a truck meeting supported by one championship which mustered three cars for their triple header.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 23:32 (Ref:3615313)   #78
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Really, I thought that they pay their extortionate entrance fees in return for being entertained for the day?
Who pays extortionate entrance fees for club meetings?
Most of the tickets are priced between £8-10.

And Kipper is correct that the overwhelming majority of spectators have a connection to someone taking part.

As someone once said "In the BTCC, a spectator in the grandstand knows the name of every driver on the grid. In club racing, a driver on the grid knows the name of everyone sitting in the grandstand."
Old 8 Mar 2016, 20:13 (Ref:3621307)   #79
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might well see a few more drivers signing up now basically all the BTCC seats have gone!
Old 8 Mar 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3621359)   #80
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Might well see a few more drivers signing up now basically all the BTCC seats have gone!
i don't see it. i don't know why anyone would even bother
Old 9 Mar 2016, 02:09 (Ref:3621401)   #81
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The opening rounds have been cancelled, unsurprisingly.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 06:45 (Ref:3621432)   #82
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
The opening rounds have been cancelled, unsurprisingly.
no. the entire series has been cancelled!
what a complete joke!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 07:05 (Ref:3621436)   #83
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
no. the entire series has been cancelled!
what a complete joke!
Shame, nice idea, but wrong time, wrong set-up.

I think the thought was there would be a load of new cars build for this year, so plenty of spare machines kicking about, but that hasn't happened. Any new series like this needs to be on the TOCA package in my opinion.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 07:43 (Ref:3621448)   #84
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Shame, nice idea, but wrong time, wrong set-up.

I think the thought was there would be a load of new cars build for this year, so plenty of spare machines kicking about, but that hasn't happened. Any new series like this needs to be on the TOCA package in my opinion.
Yep. It needed to be a support package for the BTCC. Give them 260BHP as a "lower formula" and bang, your done.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 08:18 (Ref:3621456)   #85
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame that this has been axed, but with only 1 confirmed driver it was always likely to be a struggle to get a grid of any sorts for Rd.1

Is there a PR about it anywhere?
Old 9 Mar 2016, 08:21 (Ref:3621458)   #86
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Shame that this has been axed, but with only 1 confirmed driver it was always likely to be a struggle to get a grid of any sorts for Rd.1

Is there a PR about it anywhere?
There were the press releases about the series starting and Kieran joining and that's it as far as I can tell. There is a Facebook page which is a little shonky and lacking content and there's a man. From Australia. Can't remember his name, but he and Harrison were on stage at the Autosport show.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 08:35 (Ref:3621466)   #87
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
There were the press releases about the series starting and Kieran joining and that's it as far as I can tell. There is a Facebook page which is a little shonky and lacking content and there's a man. From Australia. Can't remember his name, but he and Harrison were on stage at the Autosport show.
but what happened with the big announcement of 6 ex cars from BMR and 2 run by rob Austin? the whole thing has shown to be complete ********
Old 9 Mar 2016, 09:26 (Ref:3621476)   #88
Ry44
Racer

Ry44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u...&id=644a8087c3

Its Not happening this year
Old 9 Mar 2016, 10:12 (Ref:3621490)   #89
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry44 View Post
Its Not happening this year
Doubtful it'll ever happen. SCV8 anyone? T1?
Old 9 Mar 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3621520)   #90
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Doubtful it'll ever happen. SCV8 anyone? T1?
That's what I've been thinking. Usually when a series is postponed that usually spells curtains or it will get under way but die an early death
Old 9 Mar 2016, 14:00 (Ref:3621559)   #91
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only way this could have gone, I'm surprised anybody actually thought it could work??
Old 9 Mar 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3621576)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it had lots of merits and it worked fine in Australia, but if you're not getting the demand, you're not going anywhere
Old 9 Mar 2016, 17:26 (Ref:3621610)   #93
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well it had lots of merits and it worked fine in Australia, but if you're not getting the demand, you're not going anywhere
The V8 Development Series is a whole different proposition, though - support package to the main game at almost all meetings (barring the flyaways and I think the non-championship F1 round); straight progression path from DVS to the main game for drivers, engineers, technicians, pit crew and so on; sponsor/livery tie-ins across both series; various bits of TV coverage etc etc.

It's basically the V8 category B series.

Maybe this one was intended to be the BTCC category B series but IMO having it farmed out to club meetings rather than supporting the BTCC itself was possibly a mis-step. That and the resurgence (so it appears) of Britcar could be a bit of unfortunate timing all round.

I'm quite prepared to admit that I have zero knowledge of organising championships, mind you!

Last edited by Greem; 9 Mar 2016 at 17:35.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3621646)   #94
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It's basically the V8 category B series.

Maybe this one was intended to be the BTCC category B series but IMO having it farmed out to club meetings rather than supporting the BTCC itself was possibly a mis-step. That and the resurgence (so it appears) of Britcar could be a bit of unfortunate timing!
I think the basic problem is the Aussie Development Series is seen as the main route into a seat in V8 Supercars. As a result, it makes perfect sense for an aspiring driver to race in it and the whole thing perpetuates from there. The BTCC doesn't have any set feeder formula (my rough calculation is that the current 2016 BTCC drivers graduated from 18 different categories). As a consequence, the BTEC Series served no real point as it wouldn't necessarily help a driver into the BTCC as there would be more competitive - and cheaper - options. This was compounded by the lack of eligible (and competitive cars).

I don't think racing on a club package was necessarily a bad thing as a number of drivers have moved into the BTCC from such a level. Ultimately, the series seems to have been born out of a hope to create a market for second hand BTCC cars that would not be competitive in any other category rather than the need to create a genuine feeder formula.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3621694)   #95
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I think the basic problem is the Aussie Development Series is seen as the main route into a seat in V8 Supercars. As a result, it makes perfect sense for an aspiring driver to race in it and the whole thing perpetuates from there. The BTCC doesn't have any set feeder formula (my rough calculation is that the current 2016 BTCC drivers graduated from 18 different categories). As a consequence, the BTEC Series served no real point as it wouldn't necessarily help a driver into the BTCC as there would be more competitive - and cheaper - options. This was compounded by the lack of eligible (and competitive cars).
Don't forget that drives in V8SC are (from what I know) paid gigs, so aspiring drivers very much need to prove their meddle before they get picked up by 'main game' teams. To get into 90% of BTCC seats, all you need is a fat enough wallet.