Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 Aug 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3441044)   #1
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Formatting SD cards

I inadvertently formatted an SD card on my PC that I was using in my HD camcorder and have since found out that if you do this it will not work in the camcorder again regardless of what you try.
Looking on the net I am not alone it would appear, and before anyone tells me to format it in the camcorder you can't because it will not read that there is a card in it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Aug 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3441053)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Is this camcorder/your camcorder specific as I haven't had a problem with my slr camera
Old 2 Aug 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3441079)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I inadvertently formatted an SD card on my PC that I was using in my HD camcorder and have since found out that if you do this it will not work in the camcorder again regardless of what you try.
Format it as what Gordon?

There has ot be a way around that. Or just buy another cheap as computer chips card.
Old 2 Aug 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3441081)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Is it one of those cheapo sd cards that you bought?
Old 2 Aug 2014, 23:52 (Ref:3441093)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
No it's not a cheapo, I use two decent grade 10 HC cards designed for camcorders, although both of my Panasonic 900 cameras have built in hard drives and card slots it's quicker and easier to use SD cards to transfer to the desktop for editing.
As most of us do I read the million page manual afterwards regarding the use of cards and it states that you should not format it in anything else than in the camera.
As I said I went on camcorder forums and found loads of people with the same problem and have tried reformatting it in FAT 32/ ex etc etc but to no avail. The card works fine in Sue's SLR so she might as well keep it for a spare.
I'm not saying it's impossible to sort it but it's easier to just get another card and take it as a lesson learned !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Aug 2014, 07:26 (Ref:3441122)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit I've never formatted a card other than in the camera/camcorder, so no experience of this here......
Old 3 Aug 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3441134)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Reading between the lines it looks like for some reason it only seems to happen with camcorders and possibly only Panasonic ?
At least I haven't lost any important footage
Old 3 Aug 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3441200)   #8
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard of this problem and I think the problem is because the folders your camera puts on the card are missing so that's why it wont recognise it.

So if for instance you normally have a 101DCIM folder and a MISC folder you need to manually replace them via your computer and then hopefully the camera will recognise them.

I don't know if this will actually work as the person who told me about it had deleted the folders from his card rather than formatting it but it may be worth a go.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 16:15 (Ref:3441207)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB View Post
I've heard of this problem and I think the problem is because the folders your camera puts on the card are missing so that's why it wont recognise it.

So if for instance you normally have a 101DCIM folder and a MISC folder you need to manually replace them via your computer and then hopefully the camera will recognise them.

I don't know if this will actually work as the person who told me about it had deleted the folders from his card rather than formatting it but it may be worth a go.
Yes you are right but I did know this and tried to put the folders (and the other folders that are inside them) via the PC and the camcorder still will not acknowledge that there is a card inserted so you can't format it in the camera.
What I can't understand is that when you buy a new card it doesn't know what camera it's going in !
As I said I can't be arsed to waste more time sodding about with it and just use it in one of the still cameras.
Incidently I copied a known good card but after putting the same card back in the camera I had to reformat it before I could use it
Old 4 Aug 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3441344)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd try one of the many data recovery tools to see if it will restore whatever it is the camcorder is expecting to find.

Then I'd try a "low-level" format to see if that restores the card back to the sort of "ex-factory" state that the camcorder may be insisting on.

No specific knowledge, just general principles.

Regards

Jim
Old 4 Aug 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3441347)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I'd try one of the many data recovery tools to see if it will restore whatever it is the camcorder is expecting to find.

Then I'd try a "low-level" format to see if that restores the card back to the sort of "ex-factory" state that the camcorder may be insisting on.

No specific knowledge, just general principles.

Regards

Jim
Tried it all, not to save myself a few quid but just interested for the future.
Actually cloning a known working card and showing all the relevant partitions on the clone it still wont work and the camera comes up with "no card"
Old 4 Aug 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3441398)   #12
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you tried downloading what was on the SD card before you formatted it back on to the SD card and then putting it into the camcorder?
Old 4 Aug 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3441413)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver View Post
Have you tried downloading what was on the SD card before you formatted it back on to the SD card and then putting it into the camcorder?
You don't have to download everything that's on the card, just the AVCHD video stream, as I said the card works OK in an SLR after formatting it in it.
One thing I do know is if you put HD video back on a card from a PC it will not play in a camcorder.
Things have got complicated over the years since I started on 16mm 50 odd years ago
Old 4 Aug 2014, 18:34 (Ref:3441429)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
It's only an SD card fer chrissy sake, just use it in the slr or send it to me.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3441468)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It's only an SD card fer chrissy sake, just use it in the slr or send it to me.
Tim I have already stated that I will use it in one of the SLRs, the whole point was trying to figure it out for the future in case it happens again as a genuine 32gig top of the range camcorder card ain't 10 bob !
Old 5 Aug 2014, 00:21 (Ref:3441501)   #16
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a support forum for the card manufacturer? Might be a was to do a factory reset.

Are they SDXC?
http://www.lexar.com/support/sdxc-faqs

exFAT?
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7593_102...read-card-now/
Old 5 Aug 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3441554)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Is there a support forum for the card manufacturer? Might be a was to do a factory reset.
Yes I have all the latest settings regards formatting on one of my PCs that is dedicated solely to HD video, also because of family connections I have access to a lot of set up software that is not available outside of the digi camera repair business.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3441599)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Tim I have already stated that I will use it in one of the SLRs, the whole point was trying to figure it out for the future in case it happens again as a genuine 32gig top of the range camcorder card ain't 10 bob !
True, my top of the range 32 gig card cost all of £25, I know it's a good part of the heating allowance to you but in real life it's pocket money.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3441609)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
True, my top of the range 32 gig card cost all of £25, I know it's a good part of the heating allowance to you but in real life it's pocket money.
Pocket money to you it maybe but to us OAPs it's a small fortune, besides I need my heating allowance to keep the swimming pool going over the Winter
Also I can't find a SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro 95MB/Sec SDHC Card for 25 quid !
Old 5 Aug 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3441619)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gordon,

Just caught up with this thread. Intrigued. So I ran a search and this popped up from a couple of years back.

You may already have tried it but you haven't mentioned it specifically. It may not be relevant to your card or camera but I thought it was worth mentioning. The later posts are possibly pertinent.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7593_102...read-card-now/

ETA: Whoops - I see that TWRv12 has previously suggested the same link.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 16:58 (Ref:3441666)   #21
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I have all the latest settings regards formatting on one of my PCs that is dedicated solely to HD video,
What OS is on your PC?

Did you ever try the exFAT as mentioned in the previous links?

Seems very odd that there isn't a solution
Old 5 Aug 2014, 17:51 (Ref:3441676)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Yes have tried every format I think I'll try the microwave next !
I must admit it is strange and maybe it's peculiar to Panasonic camcorders, both of my 900s won't read it neither will my older 700.

I think it's formatted out !!!!!
Old 6 Aug 2014, 22:56 (Ref:3442057)   #23
TWRv12
Veteran

I assume the card is on the sd card compatability list for your device?
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/e_cam/index.html

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Product...tcompatibility

Device firmware up to date? Computer up to date?

Do SanDisk have a way of doing a low level format to restore to factory format?

Good luck with it
Old 19 Aug 2014, 08:33 (Ref:3445307)   #24
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do Panasonic give any advice? Can they tell you what format system they use?