Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 May 2004, 09:10 (Ref:960130)   #1
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The future of Triumph

With Hinckley saying they are not actively pursuing the performance bike market (with the 955 at least), I was wondering what that means for the 600 Daytona and its presence in British Supersport. I understand Valmoto have only this season left on their contract, and with Jones in such scintillating form it would be a shame for Triumph not to renew the association.

Do any of you Brits with an ear to the ground know what the prognosis is ? I would like nothing better than to see British bikes racing and winning.
Old 4 May 2004, 11:24 (Ref:960247)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
would be great if they continue (racing), however, i can see money being a problem for triumph if they try and take on the japanese manufacturers in racing circles - i hope i am wrong....
Old 4 May 2004, 12:20 (Ref:960337)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the costs of WSB have decreased in the last couple of years, they are probably still too high for an old companyu like Triumph. BSB might be fasible, but getting truly competitive might need a big investment, especially considering how seriously Honda and Ducati take it.
Old 5 May 2004, 01:12 (Ref:961044)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont forget Suzuki, they take BSB the most seriously out of the lot if u ask me, take Kagayama for example, a factory Suzuki rider. As for whether or not Triumph can go into BSB superbike class id say yes, providing they get a good sponsorship package up together. They probably woudnt win championships, but they could do pretty well.
Old 5 May 2004, 02:29 (Ref:961076)   #5
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
BSB ? With what ? The 955 was only ever on the fringes of performance bike territory, and the factory has declared it's intention not to make any further inroads into it. Triumph simply wouldn't be competitive in the litre category with that bike.

What I want to know is intentions for the 600. Continue to develop it as a performance bike, or pare it back ? That decision alone will decide their racing future.
Old 5 May 2004, 02:38 (Ref:961078)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You mean it will decide Triumphs immideate bike racing future. Theres nothing to say that they wont develop a superbike in a couple of years time and enter the BSB Superbike class as a factory team. They are doing a good job in Supersports so Superbike would be the next logical step.
Old 5 May 2004, 16:56 (Ref:961676)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't think Triumph will develop a superbike to be honest. If they do it would have to be slightly different like the triple is now. Maybe in the future and the 600 must be giving them valuable information on buidling a four.
As for the 600 team, i think you might find them in WSS next year. Jonesy is top drawer and the team must be looking forward rather than staying in BSB, their market must demand it surely...
Old 6 May 2004, 00:11 (Ref:962112)   #8
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
I agree Chunder, the need to raise brand awareness should be the driver of any foray into a racing scene. I wonder then why Triumph haven't tried to enter AMA Supersport, the American market must be screaming for a European performance bike amongst the oceans of Japanese machinery.

The same need to raise brand awareness has also made me wonder why Harley Davidson don't put their considerable millions into getting a Buell on the world racing stage.
Old 6 May 2004, 07:09 (Ref:962234)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great a Triumph thread!!!

Seeing as I have 955i and my wife a TT600. Both bikes are aimed at different markets. Starting with the BSB bs - it has only been in the last year on the world stage that the Japanese 4 cylinder machines were allowed to compete in Supers. The Japanese and Triumph's litre class bikes being sports road bikes. The Triumph is arguably the best in the road environment. This advantage swings against it for those who see themselves only riding on track days. To ask for a 955 in BSB is to miss the point, it is not intented to be there. Marketing wise there is no point either, people buy the bike for the reasons I did. Best all round sports bike for the road, not the track.

As for the TT600, Triumph out Japaned Japan with the first model that was all go above 8 grand and no go below 6. It was always meant as a competitor to the Japanese four cylinder 600's. So as a race bike in Supersport it is where it should have been all along. Triumph need to stay with this marketing wise.
Old 6 May 2004, 11:02 (Ref:962385)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ducati dont even race a factory 749 in ama supersport and only race 1 999 in ama superbike - do the yanks like european bikes
can anyone see triumph putting together a 5 year plan to win a british/wss title - i cant
Old 6 May 2004, 14:13 (Ref:962575)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I suspect, sadly, that Triumph's future lies in the 'retro' market - I believe the Bonneville is now their biggest seller. The problem with trying to compete in the sportsbike market is that unless you can afford to develop a completely new bike every three or four years you won't remain competitive; the Daytona 600 is already, in the opinion of some road testers, a year or two behind the Japanese.
Old 7 May 2004, 01:29 (Ref:963010)   #12
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
Dave, do you think then that Triumph will stop altogether developing the Daytona to compete with its Japanese equivalents ?

Maybe I'm letting my enthusiasm get away from me, but with talk of the Proton eventually being rebadged MV Augusta, and interest shown by KTM in developing a MotoGP prototype, I was hoping like hell a British manufacturer could one day join the ranks.

Last edited by McLean Fan; 7 May 2004 at 01:32.
Old 7 May 2004, 01:59 (Ref:963026)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Mr Fan you have not understood the role of the Daytona. It sells well because it is not a WSB contender. At least in this country.

The biggest seller being the Bonnie? That is a trend within the buying public not just those who buy Triumphs. Why do you think Harley are doing so well? Let them sell as many Bonnie based bikes as they can (my friends have four of them - or four of my friends have one each), then they can make enough money to make interesting bikes like the Daytonas.
Old 7 May 2004, 06:58 (Ref:963126)   #14
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
The magazine (Performance Bike ??) article I browsed made the suggestion that Triumph had "given up" developing the 955 to compete with the R1's, Blades, etc, but like you I never really thought that was Triumph's intention.

The 600 is however a contender against the Jap bikes in British Supersport, so for that reason alone I'd hate to see them stop developing that model.

A 955i and TT600 with Northern NSW terrain on which to ride ? You are indeed a lucky man, AMoffat.
Old 7 May 2004, 13:23 (Ref:963458)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

True my friend and I am not complaining. The TT in particular really hoots above 8 to 9 grand.

But the best thing about the new Triumphs on the road, is the suspension, it's really sorted for bumps and rough surfaces - and the brakes - beautifully progressive with feedback at the lever that would make John Holmes proud (rest in peace big fella).

In comparison, again on the road, my Ducati was overdamped at the front end and had the usual powerful but wooden Brembo brakes. I'll take the Trumpy every time.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 08:06 (Ref:1097015)   #16
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
Triumph have announced this week their withdrawal from racing in 2005. ValMoto will continue to test performance parts for Triumph, but are looking for a new manufacturer to possibly contest British Superbike

Such a pity.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1097442)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is a shame, hopefully Craig Jones can get a ride elsewhere, he seems to have some talent. Realistically, Triumph didn't have enough to gain from continuing to race.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1097461)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Duplicate, sorry

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 15 Sep 2004 at 17:07.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1098671)   #19
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonesy will be picked up no problem, put the kid on a Honda, light the touchpaper and stand well back.
Triumph's decision to make the Daytona 646cc made Valmoto's decision for them really, they are "looking at" running R1 Yamaha's in BSB for next season, also MSS are moving up with French rider Julien Da Costa riding a ZX10 in BSB 05, with Riba staying in Supersport.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 23:39 (Ref:1099835)   #20
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
didnt he just finish 5th in the latest supersport round - spewin'
Old 18 Sep 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1100252)   #21
Junior Senior
Racer

Jonesy had placed the Valmoto Daytona 2nd on the grid for its final appearance tomorrow at Donington.

Good lad!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 00:10 (Ref:1100486)   #22
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
imagine a race win - could they reconsider
Old 19 Sep 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1101122)   #23
Junior Senior
Racer

gomick, you should have put a few dollars on it, Jonesy took a fantastic win in a gripping Supersport final round at Donington, beating long time race leader Jay Vincent and a pack comprising Tom Sykes, Michael Laverty and Pere Riba.

Tears in the Valmoto pit at the end, Superb stuff!!