Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3783368)   #1176
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
IndyCar have rejected the Halo, because of the ovals, so it will be interesting to see how they deal with these three problems the Shield potentially faces, if and when they arise during testing.
I’m trying to remember, was it the visibility on the ovals. i.e. they tend to often look at the same angle where the halo support might be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Not on ovals, otherwise yes. There's been a lot of great racing, wet or dry, you've missed out.
Yes, Indycar can be fun in the wet. There seems to be less marshmallowness than F1.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3783382)   #1177
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Now if only they could make the halo out of transparent material..
Old 27 Nov 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3783418)   #1178
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Now if only they could make the halo out of transparent material..
Oh, and wrap it round the entire cockpit... You're onto something there. Get onto Mr Newey at once!
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3783456)   #1179
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’m trying to remember, was it the visibility on the ovals. i.e. they tend to often look at the same angle where the halo support might be?

Yes, Indycar can be fun in the wet. There seems to be less marshmallowness than F1.
Yes, the Halo's hoop interferes with the driver’s sightlines on banked ovals, as the driver has to look up and around the turns.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3783522)   #1180
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Oh, and wrap it round the entire cockpit... You're onto something there. Get onto Mr Newey at once!

Richard
Old 29 Nov 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3784033)   #1181
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the Aero Parts have appeared in the Mclearn already

Urgh... I can’t add any photos using my phone now photobucket is a waste of time
Old 10 Jan 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3791725)   #1182
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Halo could have a scrolling, digital ticker display. Interesting to see where F1 have their priorities, regarding cockpit safety.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/133823
Old 10 Jan 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3791731)   #1183
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Looks like they are trying to make something out of a bad idea
Old 10 Jan 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3791735)   #1184
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm kind of curious about how such a small ticker is going to look.

It's going to be difficult to read from the grandstands. Might be better on tv via a close up shot but even then it's still a very small surface on a moving object.

Would it work better for night races or would it just make the car look like Christmas tree with blinking lights on it?

Anyways, I look forward to the millions they will spend developing it.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3791738)   #1185
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Odd idea. It makes more sense if they were to incorporate something into the bodywork vs. the Halo. I don't believe what I am about to say, but cynically you can say a windscreen didn't provide commercial potential while the Halo did. Profit over safety?

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3791742)   #1186
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
profit over safety as well as additional weight over performance.

an odd idea indeed!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3791749)   #1187
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a typical "let's use some technology to justify the thing everyone currently hates the idea of but nobody's seen running yet" response.

Liberty must have a stock of spare knees. They're going to need them if their existing ones keep jerking the way they are!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3791759)   #1188
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Odd idea. It makes more sense if they were to incorporate something into the bodywork vs. the Halo. I don't believe what I am about to say, but cynically you can say a windscreen didn't provide commercial potential while the Halo did. Profit over safety?

Richard
Maybe that's why Vettel said the Shield made him feel dizzy? All that ticker info on the screen.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3791774)   #1189
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I'm kind of curious about how such a small ticker is going to look.

It's going to be difficult to read from the grandstands. Might be better on tv via a close up shot but even then it's still a very small surface on a moving object.

Would it work better for night races or would it just make the car look like Christmas tree with blinking lights on it?

Anyways, I look forward to the millions they will spend developing it.
I imagine it would be used for the camera shots above the air box looking down. So the ticker will be on the very top of it
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3791778)   #1190
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
I imagine it would be used for the camera shots above the air box looking down. So the ticker will be on the very top of it
Surely if it can be seen with any visibility from the onboard cam it will add a visual distraction to the driver, something they are keen to avoid with the whole halo concept.

(It will probably make Vettel feel dizzy, spark road rage or something similar)
In essence it seems like a load of 'gentlemen's vegetables'!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3791794)   #1191
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder how long it will be until the entire upper skin of an F1 car is like one large moving LCD screen. I can imagine the PR team selling advertising minute by minute and adjusting the adverts or messages according to race context.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3791806)   #1192
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
i was picturing it being on the front/forward surface of the halo.

from the air box looking down on the top of the halo makes more sense....that is if one think this idea makes much sense at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I wonder how long it will be until the entire upper skin of an F1 car is like one large moving LCD screen. I can imagine the PR team selling advertising minute by minute and adjusting the adverts or messages according to race context.
right...but why stop there!

why not superimpose personalized adverts directed at the viewer based on their google search history.

chillibowl just ordered some toilet paper on amazon prime this morning so he must need toilet paper...so every car in the race he watches later on that day will have toilet paper ads superimposed on them!

its a brave new world!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3791819)   #1193
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I would also say that is an odd solution. Given they already superimpose ads and other data into the world feed (i.e. virtual trackside placards that are in sync with panning and zooming of cameras), if teams wanted to sell ad space on the halo or elsewhere on the car in a way that is not easily viewable trackside, but viewable via in-car camera, then they could also easily use the same technology and likely create a better end result. If you wanted to get fancy, they could even have different content shown for different parts of the world (world feed would have to be processed for each geo location).

Quote:
why not superimpose personalized adverts directed at the viewer based on their google search history.

chillibowl just ordered some toilet paper on amazon prime this morning so he must need toilet paper...so every car in the race he watches later on that day will have toilet paper ads superimposed on them!

its a brave new world!
Exactly! If you are talking a digital delivery system to personal devices, that type of thing could have a customized experience "per viewer".

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3791823)   #1194
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Electric GT is already planning the LED screen on the car thing. Series will probably never run, but it's been testing with these on.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3791848)   #1195
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Electric GT is already planning the LED screen on the car thing. Series will probably never run, but it's been testing with these on.
I think it's an interesting idea. I wonder what the weight and resolution of images are.

We are probably off topic (for this thread) at this point.

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:40 (Ref:3791858)   #1196
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I would also say that is an odd solution. Given they already superimpose ads and other data into the world feed (i.e. virtual trackside placards that are in sync with panning and zooming of cameras), if teams wanted to sell ad space on the halo or elsewhere on the car in a way that is not easily viewable trackside, but viewable via in-car camera, then they could also easily use the same technology and likely create a better end result. If you wanted to get fancy, they could even have different content shown for different parts of the world (world feed would have to be processed for each geo location).
just to clarify, in the same way that ads are superimposed on TV for the trackside billboards, are you suggesting that instead of fitting a screen, lights, batteries etc to the halo you could instead just use this already in place technology to superimpose images onto the halo surface in the TV production room?

i want to say this tech is pretty standard nowdays. f1 uses it, hockey/NHL uses it to change the ads on is boards (and does so to maximize ad revenue from the different regions/markets it is broadcast to), im sure we will see a lot of it during the Olympics and i would think many other sports are doing it for TV as well.

so staying on topic, if that was what you were getting at, then as you suggest, this seems a much simpler solution.

avoids a problem of adding weight to the halo/no one messing around with a device that is there for safety reasons.

probably some issue with who gets to choose the adverts and does the revenue belong to the team because its their space or does it belong to FOM who are doing the superimposing via their video production of the race....either way they could just negotiate how the payments would work and what types of adverts are acceptable.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 23:52 (Ref:3791864)   #1197
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
just to clarify, in the same way that ads are superimposed on TV for the trackside billboards, are you suggesting that instead of fitting a screen, lights, batteries etc to the halo you could instead just use this already in place technology to superimpose images onto the halo surface in the TV production room?
Yes.

It’s not my area of expertise, but I can imagine it might be a bit harder to do this on a car and make it look seamless. It’s been a bit since I have watched a live incar video, but I know the image is not always super stable so it could break the illusion of it actually being on the car. But I still think it’s doable.

Richard
Old 11 Jan 2018, 00:05 (Ref:3791866)   #1198
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I suppose if they had the driver's live position in LED on the central outside part of the halo it wouldn't look too bad. The LED that is, the Halo will still look awful.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3791986)   #1199
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
When they do those superimposed advert shots they always look superfake. They aren't conning anyone, well I guess they are because they're adverts, so thats exactly what they are attempting to do.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3796955)   #1200
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
have to say i dont mind how the halo looks on the new formula e cars.