Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Jan 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3491798)   #101
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well back in the good old UK and the first job I had to do yesterday was put a new cam and followers in Sue's Polo, after fitting it and putting it all back together it wouldn't start !
Rechecked timing marks (VW and my own all OK) and then looked at where the cam lobes were when on TDC, found that the timing was out by 5 teeth from the keyway ! so just set the valve timing straight up and down, Result !
And no it wasn't a cheapo Chinese one off of Ebay, Happy new year !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jan 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3491804)   #102
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Reminds me of the good old pinto days . Cut a hole in bulk head when customer not looking old. Am out new one in aly plate and a couple of self tappers . Good as gold . I carried on with that method when working at Volvo main dealer on those horrible V 6 engines . Worshop manager not impressed but I sure did earn a lot of bonus .
Old 11 Jan 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3491823)   #103
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes that old V6 Pug engine that was fitted to Volvo/Renault etc was always a problem with cams and the way we used to get over it.
Renault 5 timing chains I used to cut a panel out behind the radio consul and even now cutting a panel out to fit number 4 and 5 injectors in Jeep Grand Cherokee's with the Sprinter engine fitted.
As for the old Tina with the Pinto I found it just as quick to whip the engine out in about 20 mins.
I also used to fit propshaft UJs to Elans in situ !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jan 2015, 13:59 (Ref:3491843)   #104
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been Watching a program on Sky Discovery called Chrome Underground, either the guys are on something or the program is a set up. I have been in a few hairy situations in West Africa but nothing like the situations they get themselves into in pursuit of Classic cars.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 11 Jan 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3491904)   #105
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watch most of the car programmes on tv but gave up with Chrome Underground as it was just too silly.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 11 Jan 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3491916)   #106
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
And the Delorean Gordon.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3491927)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Was that the engine referred to as the Douvrin V6? For some unexplainable reason I always liked the Peugeot 604 saloon that used it.....
Old 11 Jan 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3491938)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Would you believe the engine, or to be more precise, an engine based on the bottom end of one, holds the record for highest recorded speed on a closed circuit racetrack? Le Mans 1988, WM Peugeot, 253mph........

I think it broke.

Old 11 Jan 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3491946)   #109
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Would you believe the engine, or to be more precise, an engine based on the bottom end of one, holds the record for highest recorded speed on a closed circuit racetrack? Le Mans 1988, WM Peugeot, 253mph........

I bet that they improved the breather system on it though as that is what caused most of the problems on the old Pug lump as the engine suffered from the old "black death" and blocked the oilways up.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 07:20 (Ref:3491987)   #110
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The WM Peugeot in 1988 is reputed to have had 900bhp from a 3 litre 'Douvrin', with twin turbos and I think four cam layout as well! The car was very efficient aerodynamically in the best French tradition, and the teams target was to set a speed record, as they knew car couldn't win (last?) the race..... A year or two later the chicanes were introduced in the Mulsanne to stop such speeds from being attained.

Teams like WM (Welter Racing) make the history of Le Mans- never mind who actually won that year!

Just been reading a review of a new book about the 917. Only 576 pages, and now translated from German. Mmm...
Old 12 Jan 2015, 07:22 (Ref:3491988)   #111
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those were the WMs, only designed to go as fast as possible and break the speed record pour la gloire De la France, then retire. 400kph IIRC

pages back you mentioned watching planes on final approach. The old RAF Lyneham flight path we along the A3102, many"s the time we've flashed our headlights at dazzling high beams coming the other way only to find a Hercules roar over the roof!

Edit: Bugger you beat me to it Mike, and more insightful too! Must learn to type quicker...my excuse is I've just spent four days at NEC and couldn't face driving home last night so am relaxing in one of Lennie's finest. Ahhhhh.............
Old 12 Jan 2015, 07:27 (Ref:3491989)   #112
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Edit: Bugger you beat me to it Mike!
No contradictions though!

Old 12 Jan 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3492022)   #113
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Those were the WMs, only designed to go as fast as possible and break the speed record pour la gloire De la France, then retire. 400kph IIRC

pages back you mentioned watching planes on final approach. The old RAF Lyneham flight path we along the A3102, many"s the time we've flashed our headlights at dazzling high beams coming the other way only to find a Hercules roar over the roof!

Edit: Bugger you beat me to it Mike, and more insightful too! Must learn to type quicker...my excuse is I've just spent four days at NEC and couldn't face driving home last night so am relaxing in one of Lennie's finest. Ahhhhh.............
Gosh you must of had a good weekend Max. BTW Stew 62 min
Old 12 Jan 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3492045)   #114
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey that's not a bad run by Stew then Iain! Mind you we could've shown these young whippersnappers eh?

Yes I was busy. Drove back this morning, still behind the curve a bit.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3492057)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes I was busy. Drove back this morning, still behind the curve a bit.
Was that busy like ££££££££€€€€€$$$$$,

or busy like

Old 12 Jan 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3492110)   #116
midgetman
Veteran

I'm pleased to say the former It was a good buzz there this year, the sport seems to be pulling out of recession. Interesting to see what happens at Race Retro, different crowd there.

Not much chance of beers, sleeping in the race van and had to drive to/from the camp site. I'm feeling very middle aged, I had to join the Caravan Club to get the best prices. Beige trousers beckon methinks.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3492112)   #117
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'm pleased to say the former It was a good buzz there this year, the sport seems to be pulling out of recession. Interesting to see what happens at Race Retro, different crowd there.

Not much chance of beers, sleeping in the race van and had to drive to/from the camp site. I'm feeling very middle aged, I had to join the Caravan Club to get the best prices. Beige trousers beckon methinks.
CARAVAN CLUB? Arghhhh.....

Glad it was worthwhile- the camping and all!
Old 12 Jan 2015, 20:23 (Ref:3492154)   #118
midgetman
Veteran

That is exactly how I feel....aaaaaaaaarrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! The welcome pack arrived today, thankfully in a plain wrapper.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 21:59 (Ref:3492189)   #119
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
...... I'm feeling very middle aged, ......
well, I understand that '50 is the new 40'
Old 13 Jan 2015, 06:25 (Ref:3492387)   #120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
The welcome pack arrived today, thankfully in a plain wrapper.
Definitely a sign of old age when the only thing being delivered in a plain wrapper is your Caravan Club membership......

Talk about 'a small world'- A fellow tenther very kindly provided me with a scan of some homologation papers. During PM chat, turns out we competed against each other on a rally in Belgium in 1987, and both finished on the class podium!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3492453)   #121
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"A friend of mine" uses the C***** C*** for insurance & breakdown cover on the motorhome, hard to beat the range of cover at the price (he tells me)
Old 13 Jan 2015, 12:17 (Ref:3492457)   #122
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
"A friend of mine"
Yeah, right...... Pull the other one!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3492469)   #123
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yeah, right...... Pull the other one!
Colin's a really nice chap Mike. He must have at least one friend I would have thought.

Old 13 Jan 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3492479)   #124
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
well, I understand that '50 is the new 40'
I'll let you know when I get there

Something on the radio today mentioned that life expectancy in the US is such that they are treating 70 as "middle aged".

CC didn't want to know about insuring my van as it's used for business, but the site was £10 per night cheaper and the amount of travelling I've got to do this year it'll save me a tasty sum.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 10:35 (Ref:3492706)   #125
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Day off today as we are going to a funeral, when you get to my age you find yourself going to more and more !!!!
Closed Thread