Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3812982)   #251
keithcollantine
Rookie

keithcollantine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post

I suspect a Honda pullout at the end of this year, framed as a desire to focus on the next set of regulations.
I think it's too soon to say things are quite that bad. Might look a bit different come Sunday night though...
Old 6 Apr 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3813208)   #252
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
See my post from about two pages back regarding MGU-H from a third party supplier.

Richard
You mean this very informative post??
Quote:
It is also my understanding that the current engine also is using the basic MGU-H design and supplier as last year. I am sure it has improvements, but in general it is the same basic concept from the same supplier. McLaren Applied Technologies (MAT) who is the supplier for the standard ECU also supplied much of the hybrid system for the Honda engine. I don't know if the MGU-H is supplied by MAT or someone else. But I have read that Honda is expected to switch to a new in-house MGU-H mid-year. So this may indicate they are still using a MAT supplied MGU-H, or the MGU-H uses a number of components that are still supplied by MAT????

Richard
Yes I did read that post. Thanks for the laugh.

A lot of speculation, guessing and misinformed information being passed on as fact.

FYI, you are totally incorrect. Honda are not using a McLaren supplied MGU-H in 2018. The MGU-H in the 2018 Honda/Toro Rosso is a 100% Honda Racing built unit. Not supplied by McLaren, or any other "third part supplier". The 2018 Honda MGU-H is somewhat of a copy of the 2017 Honda/McLaren unit, but is 100% designed and built in-house by Honda Racing in Japan. Again, it has nothing to do with McLaren, or McLaren Applied Technologies.

Old 6 Apr 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3813213)   #253
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
A lot of speculation, guessing and misinformed information being passed on as fact.

FYI, you are totally incorrect. Honda are not using a McLaren supplied MGU-H in 2018. The MGU-H in the 2018 Honda/Toro Rosso is a 100% Honda Racing built unit. Not supplied by McLaren, or any other "third part supplier". The 2018 Honda MGU-H is somewhat of a copy of the 2017 Honda/McLaren unit, but is 100% designed and built in-house by Honda Racing in Japan. Again, it has nothing to do with McLaren, or McLaren Applied Technologies.
Richard made it quite clear that it was speculation, so attacking the post in this specific case simply looks a bit mealy-mouthed.

In the interests of balance, you've made a categorical statement with no supporting evidence, so in scientific and/or engineering terms: prove it. That way you'll demonstrate your own knowledge in a way that isn't simply "nyaaah".

Old 6 Apr 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3813222)   #254
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Richard made it quite clear that it was speculation
Does the following sound like speculation?
Quote:
See my post from about two pages back regarding MGU-H from a third party supplier. Until Honda replaces it with a new unit, it is likely to continue to have issues. And then we can only hope Honda’s in-house unit proves more reliable.

Richard
I must have misread it, but the above post does not sound like speculation to me. It sounds like he was directing me to a post regarding Honda being supplied a MGU-H by a third party supplier, that being McLaren. And until Honda replaces it with a "in-house" built unit, it is likely they will continue to have issues.

Doesn't sound like speculation, more like someone who is very confident while trying to point out that Honda are not to blame for their recent MGU-H failure and in fact it was the "third party supplier" (McLaren) to blame. Which is 100% incorrect on both fronts as Honda ARE using a in-house built MGU-H unit and not a McLaren supplied unit this year.

Simple matter is Honda are a shamble. 5 years into the new V6 era and they are still a nowhere. They are an absolute disgrace. I was hoping by year 5 we would have the Honda fan girls jumping up and down pointing fingers at the naysayers saying... I told you so, Honda are back, I knew they would, etc. etc. But nooo, looks like we will have to wait another year for the fan girls to get excited and point fingers at us Honda naysayers. In the meantime, the fan girls seem to be finding excuses and pointing the blame at others while they wait for Honda to (hopefully) get their act together sometime in the near future.

Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:12 (Ref:3813233)   #255
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Oh, boy that is rich! You are trying to describe me, but describe your own posting style to a tee!

I only treat things as fact when reported “as fact” by multiple news sources, or when commented upon by Honda itself (Which you will find they actually do quite a bit. Maybe more than other F1 power unit manufacturers. Some of the better info comes from the Japanese F1 press). Otherwise I clearly list things as speculation (including the direct quotes above you say I claim as fact!) if they are coming from other sources that can’t yet be confirmed, but are educated speculation by those who have a record of being accurate in the past.

I stand by my earlier comments, but frankly don’t want to speculate more than I already have without more evidence. I freely admit it might all be wrong! But I am waiting for reliable sources to confirm one way or another.

Richard
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3813234)   #256
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Does the following sound like speculation?
I think that is a fair criticism of me. I should have found a way in that follow up post to not be so enthusiastic as to potential accuracy of my own speculation. Regardless... I asked to look at my previous post. Which clearly says it is speculation.

Richard
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:57 (Ref:3813245)   #257
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My god I love you.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3813255)   #258
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think that is a fair criticism of me. I should have found a way in that follow up post to not be so enthusiastic as to potential accuracy of my own speculation. Regardless... I asked to look at my previous post. Which clearly says it is speculation.

Richard
for what its worth Richard, i dont think you have to change a thing about your posting style!

there is always a lot of different information out there and you do extremely well (imo probably better than anyone else on this forum) to parse that information and present your thoughts, inferences, opinions, speculation in a clear and logical manner that, i think, fosters the friendly type of discourse that this forum has been sadly lacking as of late.

you keep posting man and i for one will keep reading!
Old 6 Apr 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3813282)   #259
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
for what its worth Richard, i dont think you have to change a thing about your posting style!

there is always a lot of different information out there and you do extremely well (imo probably better than anyone else on this forum) to parse that information and present your thoughts, inferences, opinions, speculation in a clear and logical manner that, i think, fosters the friendly type of discourse that this forum has been sadly lacking as of late.

you keep posting man and i for one will keep reading!
I'll second that CB. To be honest, most of the discussions are interesting, and I do find a lot of the differences in style interesting too. It's just that sometimes they do degenerate and can become what looks like personal vendetta's, but often, when I've nearly given up on a thread, someone sensible comes along and pulls things back into line.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3813284)   #260
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thirded. Don't change your posting style Richard. There's nothing wrong with it.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3813291)   #261
Richard C
Veteran

I will continue to try to keep it positive. I have high standards for my own posting style and occasionally struggle to meet them! One thing I am confident about is that we are ALL passionate about the sport even if we may not agree.

Richard
Old 6 Apr 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3813293)   #262
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Gasly in the top ten, could we be in for a points finish for him this weekend?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3813294)   #263
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Could you elaborate on a couple of points, based on the strong assertion you make in the post here please?

Firstly, how can a copy of a MAT design also be 100% Honda designed?

Secondly, if the 2018 design is a copy of the MAT design, how have Honda got around the associated IP rights of a MAT design?

Thirdly, the indication that Honda are using components from MAT comes from a Honda Press Release in Jan 2018 that said: 'Until last year, Honda was relying on McLaren technically quite a bit. We were receiving components supplies in Europe through McLaren. Battery pack (ES) was McLaren's, and it was supposed that we were going to do the battery by ourselves sometime later. There are complications in law regarding battery about air transportation and customs. That's why battery pack had to be done at Milton Keynes. So we have to expand internal production otherwise we cannot continue. We must sort these out urgently.' - are you able to confirm that Honda have expanded this internal production?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3813296)   #264
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I will continue to try to keep it positive. I have high standards for my own posting style and occasionally struggle to meet them! One thing I am confident about is that we are ALL passionate about the sport even if we may not agree.

Richard
Richard,

The high standards you hold are a pleasure to contribute alongside. You clearly take time to evaluate both your own posts, and also the content of others you post in relation to.

It is also clear that you are able to accept in good spirit a post that may be critical, or of a differing view to yours, without the need to resort to immature and petty posting.

A healthy argument can be good if made in the right spirit and accepting of others viewpoints - and it is good to see a nice balance between factual content and personal opinion.

I hope to continue many discussions with you in future....
Old 6 Apr 2018, 21:39 (Ref:3813393)   #265
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Secondly, if the 2018 design is a copy of the MAT design, how have Honda got around the associated IP rights of a MAT design?
I have asked a similar question on a different forum. Nobody has offered an answer, and we may never get one.

First, I don’t think we know the balance of what Honda designed vs MAT in the entire ERS system let alone just the MGU-H. My initial post left the door open for it being MAT designed/sourced... or not.

And.. I also wonder if part of the Honda McLaren divorce, if that included making arrangements for IP licenses on specific technologies. Such as, let’s say the 2017 MGU-H was sourced from MAT and now Honda owns, or has a license for, the 2018 version based upon the 2017 design. Honda could develop it in any direction I would assume?

Richard
Old 7 Apr 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3813432)   #266
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

It would be nice but I think that’s a long shot. A good boost for them to be running around at a decent pace though.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 00:19 (Ref:3813433)   #267
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Could you elaborate on a couple of points, based on the strong assertion you make in the post here please?

Thirdly, the indication that Honda are using components from MAT comes from a Honda Press Release in Jan 2018 that said: 'Until last year, Honda was relying on McLaren technically quite a bit. We were receiving components supplies in Europe through McLaren. Battery pack (ES) was McLaren's, and it was supposed that we were going to do the battery by ourselves sometime later. There are complications in law regarding battery about air transportation and customs. That's why battery pack had to be done at Milton Keynes. So we have to expand internal production otherwise we cannot continue. We must sort these out urgently.' - are you able to confirm that Honda have expanded this internal production?
How dare you question one of the big hitters in F1! Can’t you see he’s obviously in the inner sanctum of F1? His name says it all! I demand a refund!
Old 7 Apr 2018, 00:22 (Ref:3813434)   #268
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:

I was hoping by year 5 we would have the Honda fan girls jumping up and down pointing fingers at the naysayers saying... I told you so, Honda are back, I knew they would, etc. etc. But nooo, looks like we will have to wait another year for the fan girls to get excited and point fingers at us Honda naysayers. In the meantime, the fan girls seem to be finding excuses and pointing the blame at others while they wait for Honda to (hopefully) get their act together sometime in the near future
did you just assume my gender? I’m clearly a fanBOY. I take offense at this.

(in all seriousness it is pretty low to insinuiate ‘girl’ as a negative which is what you have done)
Old 7 Apr 2018, 04:41 (Ref:3813461)   #269
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No the Honda will self destruct in the first 5 laps....
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3813782)   #270
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Top job in qualy!!

Hartley bit unlucky not to make it through to Q3 as well!
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3813793)   #271
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I would say honda has outlerformed McLaren so far this weekend. That's just speculation on my part though.

Don't change a thing Richard!
Old 8 Apr 2018, 00:05 (Ref:3813806)   #272
Skam85
Veteran

P5 on the grid...yes definitely bringing the sport into disrepute...
Old 8 Apr 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3814064)   #273
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finishing 4th on track, complete disrepute
Old 8 Apr 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3814071)   #274
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Utter rubbish, this new Honda engine. They must be cheating.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3814085)   #275
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
One race per engine?? Honda's dreadful reliability continues in 2018.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...rosso-1021470/

Honda used 3 different PU's during the pre season tests. Whereas Mercedes and Renault only used the one single PU for all of their pre season testing. Honda still have not got their act together. They should be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute!
This.... Did not age well....