Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Apr 2019, 04:12 (Ref:3898695)   #3301
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I welcome Gerard into the exalted ranks of Englishmen, and fully support his membership of this Great Nation, however, it is obvious that he can no longer appear on this forum as Gerard Cayeux. Therefore I submit for consideration his new name, one designed to ensure he fits right in to modern Britain, Gerry Mohammad, and his user name be changed to X-Frog.

Congratulations Gerry you are now on the right side.

La bauble..
I second Bob's proposal. With pleasure. He does after all speak and write English better than many of our 'natives'.

Welcome to being a 'Pom' Mr X-Frog.

(For X-Frogs benefit, Pom is a term affectionaltely given to Brits by Australians. Said to be from the word, "pomegranate", Australian rhyming slang for "immigrant". Pomegranate is also said to be the colour some English go in the sun. (Not this one!)
Of course the other popular thought is that Pom stands for Prisoner of Mother England. )
Old 20 Apr 2019, 05:55 (Ref:3898703)   #3302
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
All this brought a blush to my cheeks! Have to order some Hawaiian Tropic !
Old 20 Apr 2019, 07:34 (Ref:3898712)   #3303
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
All this brought a blush to my cheeks! Have to order some Hawaiian Tropic girls !
Amended that for you, Gerard!
Old 20 Apr 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3898713)   #3304
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Début de mes aventures en terre hostile

Guess what!!! Being an Englishman since let say few hours an already in trouble with Froggies…*Sunny day here, perfect occasion to go for a walk with my two Yorkshires. Jump in the Bimmer… no more steering wheel! I say to myself dont let a thief spoil this wonderful day. Jump in the Fiesta and… no more steering wheel. Being optimistic, I say they won't spoil my day, just go for a ride and start the Honda. Turn the key and… nothing happens! I just wonder if this is related to Mike's new patent tho. Mike are you sure the removal of the fuse makes start easier?

Any idea, Tel, John, E.B, bauble…
Gerry Mohamed
Old 20 Apr 2019, 07:53 (Ref:3898715)   #3305
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Guess what!!! Being an Englishman since let say few hours an already in trouble with Froggies…*Sunny day here, perfect occasion to go for a walk with my two Yorkshires. Jump in the Bimmer… no more steering wheel! I say to myself dont let a thief spoil this wonderful day. Jump in the Fiesta and… no more steering wheel. Being optimistic, I say they won't spoil my day, just go for a ride and start the Honda. Turn the key and… nothing happens! I just wonder if this is related to Mike's new patent tho. Mike are you sure the removal of the fuse makes start easier?

Gerry Mohamed
Gerry, we have a phrase here which we affectionally apply to people who we like, but who we think are a little crazy. We say that they are as mad as a box of frogs!
I had always thought that the 'frogs' referred to in this were the small, green jumping variety (that, legend has it, when kissed can turn into a prince!) but having read your many posts on here I now believe the phrase is using our nickname for French people!

Welcome you honorary crazy Englishman!
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3898718)   #3306
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Gerry Mohamed
Being English , perhaps you are now getting in the " Right " side of the car , & the steering wheel is still on the "wrong " side ?
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3898719)   #3307
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Being English , perhaps you are now getting in the " Right " side of the car , & the steering wheel is still on the "wrong " side ?
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3898721)   #3308
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Spot on Tel, its bauble's fault. Congratulations Gerry you are now on the right side. What should I understand as a sheila? Have to go back to the garage now.
Thanks a lot Viva but may be we should think about a nickname for people who are more than a little crazy!
E.B may be you've been riding in this area…*did you notice how much dangerous they are at wheel? Almost all of them drive on the right side! Riding in the middle seems a safe way to start with.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:42 (Ref:3898722)   #3309
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuffield blue bells..jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	52923
Long day yesterday. Went to Norwich and back to see my very dear friend Mike. He told me there are no blue bells over his way so here is a picture I took last night going home through the woods on my bike. Happy Easter everyone.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:45 (Ref:3898723)   #3310
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Spot on Tel, its bauble's fault. Congratulations Gerry you are now on the right side. What should I understand as a sheila? Have to go back to the garage now.
Thanks a lot Viva but may be we should think about a nickname for people who are more than a little crazy!
E.B may be you've been riding in this area…*did you notice how much dangerous they are at wheel? Almost all of them drive on the right side! Riding in the middle seems a safe way to start with.

Well , that has solved the steering wheel problem , but the Honda not starting sounds very technical , & might need Mike,s technology .
Unless it is the footrest things which come up from the floor .
Try putting your leg across the car to the other side & with your foot on the footrest thing , see if it will start then .
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3898724)   #3311
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Someone in this thread mentioned the Bathurst 6 hour 'production' race recently. The race is on tomorrow, starting at c 11am our time.

The good news for those interested is a free International live feed.
From the 6hr website http://www.bathurst6hour.com.au
Quote:
LIVE STREAMING:

For our international viewers, the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour race will be streamed live and free via www.bathurst6hour.com.au/live from 7:50am AET (UTC+10), including support categories.

With coverage produced by noted motorsport production house AVE, the race will be broadcast live with coverage right the way around Mount Panorama.

Commentary for the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour will again come from respected voice of endurance racing, John Hindhaugh and six-hour expert, Richard Craill.
Four of the first five positions on the grid filled by BMWs of varying models. The only non BMW in the first five is Jordan Cox, who I plugged here recently as being one to watch. He qualified on the front row in an Evo.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3898725)   #3312
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Veggie Special delta breakfast news…

Went to the "boulangerie", as they say, soon in the morning. Asked for kwossons. Nothing. Asked for qwassans. Nothing. Asked for "pain in la tchokolate plize". Worked fine! And know what? They are only 1 GBP! Bingo, bargain, I take two!!! Next supplier to advise I'm English now, Ric Wood!

As any new comer, I need help. A lot of. May I ask to Midget to help me finding new race suits? I started like this: when French I was roughly 1,91 meter tall but broke my back and had heavy surgery. Anyway, no matter, an injured French is not that important now…
So I found 1,91 m could be 6 pieds, 3 pouces and 7/3 de pouces. Thought was complicated. With surgery count 6 pieds, 3 pouces and 13/16 de pouces. Sounds better. What about with no surgery and socks? Much better of course! So simple to proudly indicate:6 pieds, 3 pouces and 19/32 de pouces!
Should try while seated because I'm too tall to stand in a car…
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3898727)   #3313
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tel, as to motorbikes with brake pedal and shifter in a different position, I remember we sent some Triumphs or BSAs to their continent. Was fun to see their confusion! And you're right, if I'm in troubles to start my Honda, will ask Mike. Owning a Ducati, he's an expert in electrical troubles!
Old 20 Apr 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3898736)   #3314
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Long day yesterday. Went to Norwich and back to see my very dear friend Mike. He told me there are no blue bells over his way so here is a picture I took last night going home through the woods on my bike. Happy Easter everyone.

I bet it was a long day, cycling all the way to Norwich and back!

And Happy Easter bunnies to you, too.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3898739)   #3315
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Attachment 52923
Wow, you are ahead of us! Having a climate influenced by our proximity to the North Sea slows nature down a bit here, so our bluebells are not showing any colour- yet.....

One of the true joys this time of year for me is seeing snowdrops, followed by daffs, then primroses, and now foxgloves as I cycle the lanes. Soon to be followed by the blue carpet.....

Of course, farmers are never happy as we have a serious drought, so all the recently planted crops will suffer unless it rains soon!

Happy Easter to all, and enjoy the glorious weather while you can.....
Old 20 Apr 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3898743)   #3316
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Happy Easter from Albania. We get two Easters here.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3898748)   #3317
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Happy Easter from Albania. We get two Easters here.
With two lots of chocco eggs? Sounds greedy to me!
Old 20 Apr 2019, 13:22 (Ref:3898749)   #3318
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only.painted eggs, No chocolate. But two Easter Mondays.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3898750)   #3319
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Oooo. Nice.

Had one of those as my second car ('67 registration.)

Webasto sun roof, twin tanks, lowered, big exhaust (something of a disadvantage when lowered), lowered steering column. Previous owner had undertaken all of the mods and had it painted a Jaguar metallic silver/grey.

As I recall there was a Westlake badge on the cylinder head but I think that might have been the same for all of them.

A lovely thing until, in some quite thick fog late one night on a damp road, mistook a kerb disappearing to the left for the turn I really wanted about 4 cars lengths further on and ran the sump and subframe into a high kerb at about 5mph after the brakes locked.

It ended up shorter on the nearside by about 2 inches and the remote change casing broke. I managed to drive it home though eventually reduced to third gear. But come the morning and daylight it was clearly going to need some serious repair work. Insurance wrote it off.

Just before is was about to be taken away for scrap a few weeks later a colleague bought it and proceeded to fix it and then use it for his daily driver for a while. I lost track of it when he left and headed off I'm not sure where - possibly back to NZ.

It would be fun to have another one but not at that price (despite the way the prices of Minis have been heading) and not brown.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 14:07 (Ref:3898751)   #3320
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Am at a race track today and left my sandwich box on the step of the transporter. Mmmmm, my pain au chocolat has that "just left the oven" taste - pre-warmed and melted chocolate. Lovely, I need the microwave to get that at home :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Apr 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3898759)   #3321
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

And Happy Easter bunnies to you, too.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3898777)   #3322
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Am at a race track today and left my sandwich box on the step of the transporter. Mmmmm, my pain au chocolat has that "just left the oven" taste - pre-warmed and melted chocolate. Lovely, I need the microwave to get that at home :-)
There was a pic in the media this morning of a molten chocolate Easter bunny..... Having just returned from the best bike ride of the year to date, I’m definitely not complaining about the weather....
Old 20 Apr 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3898778)   #3323
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Bauble must be busy, otherwise he would be reminding us of his trips to Snetterton by bicycle in his youth.....
Old 20 Apr 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3898782)   #3324
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Helluva long way on a penny-farthing too.......
Old 20 Apr 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3898783)   #3325
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Helluva long way on a penny-farthing too.......

Who asked you? Bug off to the F1 forum where you belong. Cheeky young whippersnapper.