Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Feb 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3884071)   #26
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Look at the difference in profiles..

Geez that makes the Mustang look even worse
Old 14 Feb 2019, 10:34 (Ref:3884082)   #27
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Opel looks a bit like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3884085)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that you mention it, I can see resemblance to the Porsche Panamera.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3884092)   #29
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Ouch, that's mean.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3884093)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So with 6 Mustangs in the top 10, and taking up the top 3 positions, surely they are cheating?

... At least by the logic of the Ford fans after the ZB was quick out of the box.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3884098)   #31
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adelaide is a very different track.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3884105)   #32
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gotta say after now looking at the cars on track, with other cars... The Mustang looks like it was put in a sack and beat with the ugly stick.

Nascars look less ridiculous than that front end.

And I won't say anything about the rear WING
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3884106)   #33
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
So with 6 Mustangs in the top 10, and taking up the top 3 positions, surely they are cheating?

... At least by the logic of the Ford fans after the ZB was quick out of the box.
I remember a few on here sooking up when the FG-X came our firing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:48 (Ref:3884108)   #34
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
I remember a few on here sooking up when the FG-X came our firing.
Nah mate the Ford fans have it covered....

The stuff about the lightweight panels on the ZB took the cake, and made zero difference.

People whining about a technical difference when all they had to do was pull their finger out.

Fact is, nobody competent should bring out a new car that's slower than an old one, especially when teams have the resources such that Penske have.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3884109)   #35
Driver TBA
Veteran

Few teams struggling to adjust to the linear springs according to press reports.

Did I hear right that Erebus never ran a twin spring setup?

Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:54 (Ref:3884110)   #36
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
Nah mate the Ford fans have it covered....

The stuff about the lightweight panels on the ZB took the cake, and made zero difference.

People whining about a technical difference when all they had to do was pull their finger out.

Fact is, nobody competent should bring out a new car that's slower than an old one, especially when teams have the resources such that Penske have.
LOL

Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3884214)   #37
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just look at the side profiles GTR posted up....then tell me the Mustang is no "slippery-er" than the Commodore...with a straight face...
Old 14 Feb 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3884246)   #38
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Just look at the side profiles GTR posted up....then tell me the Mustang is no "slippery-er" than the Commodore...with a straight face...
Clearly there's been compromises but all the previous cars have looked faithful to the original - but yes they were all 4-door.

It seems to my eye in chasing the aero of getting that nose down low they've completely ignored the actual lines of the car, and they've lost all the detail lines in the rear that make the thing sexy.

So maybe it wins, but its fugly, and it didn't have to be.

Someone elsewhere did an overlay of the race car with the road car and the nose really stands out.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 22:18 (Ref:3884260)   #39
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Erebus still fastest time of day despite being sent home!
Reynolds the only car to date to break into the 1:30's
According to team boss Barry Ryan, the cars are unchanged from last year with regard to the exhaust system which has left the team perplexed by the issue.
The noise issues at Phillip Island are an ongoing issue.
On an overcast cloudy day the noise levels are higher than a bright sunny day. I have seen a 2db difference between the morning and afternoon noise levels as the place clouded over.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3884276)   #40
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
The noise issues at Phillip Island are an ongoing issue.
On an overcast cloudy day the noise levels are higher than a bright sunny day. I have seen a 2db difference between the morning and afternoon noise levels as the place clouded over.
Yep - and the Australia Standard for measuring noise levels specifically mentions that overcast conditions need to be taken into account as they will produce a higher (false) reading.
Something that most tracks (& often even the EPA etc) seem to conveniently ignore - in this case providing headaches to teams that are completely unwarranted.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 02:11 (Ref:3884287)   #41
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Agreed, very Porsche like.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 03:40 (Ref:3884292)   #42
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
The opel looks more slippery to me judging by the rake of the windscreens.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 05:26 (Ref:3884299)   #43
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So the minimum weight has been reduced by 10 kg in 2019 for no reason (and not because everyone now has the advantage of lightweight bodywork packages and thus no need for anyone to run ballast)?

So Nissan and Ford teams immediately manufactured carbon fibre roofs and bonnets for the next round after the Adelaide 500 for no reason?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 05:29 (Ref:3884300)   #44
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
The opel looks more slippery to me judging by the rake of the windscreens.
The C-pillar angle is more important than the A-pillar angle for reducing the size of the wake, and therefore the drag.

Something like a VW Golf with a upright C-pillar has a drag coefficient of 0.31 whereas the VW Jetta sedan with a sloped C-pillar has a drag coefficient of 0.28. The even more sloped C-pillar of a Toyota Prius allows Toyota to get the drag coefficient down to 0.25.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 05:30 (Ref:3884302)   #45
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
It matches at 200kph on the airfield test, and that is all the rule requires.

Performance in yaw and at other speeds is free, and Ford Performance will have (of course) optimised that.

Why? Because the precedent was set by the Commodore that all the body panels could be composite. And if you have to make moulds for all the body panels anyway, there is no reason to make these moulds exact (inverse) replicas of the production panels when it's now accepted that the panels can be whatever shape you want.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 06:35 (Ref:3884308)   #46
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
The C-pillar angle is more important than the A-pillar angle for reducing the size of the wake, and therefore the drag.

Something like a VW Golf with a upright C-pillar has a drag coefficient of 0.31 whereas the VW Jetta sedan with a sloped C-pillar has a drag coefficient of 0.28. The even more sloped C-pillar of a Toyota Prius allows Toyota to get the drag coefficient down to 0.25.
OK, I would have thought that both the A and C pillar would have effect.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3884309)   #47
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
So the minimum weight has been reduced by 10 kg in 2019 for no reason (and not because everyone now has the advantage of lightweight bodywork packages and thus no need for anyone to run ballast)?
Ford started last year with steel bonnets, hence the regulation requirement. Note that ALL cars had the same minimum weight regardless.

Quote:
So Nissan and Ford teams immediately manufactured carbon fibre roofs and bonnets for the next round after the Adelaide 500 for no reason?
And what difference did it make? Nary a whit. It was just excuses.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3884315)   #48
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interestingly the fastest lap was about 1.5sec slower than the practice lap record but I guess that will diminish with development.
More encouragingly only 1.504 sec difference between fastest and 24th.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 08:14 (Ref:3884327)   #49
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Interestingly the fastest lap was about 1.5sec slower than the practice lap record but I guess that will diminish with development.
More encouragingly only 1.504 sec difference between fastest and 24th.
Yeah, and Mixer is having a big whinge about a test day.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3884359)   #50
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Minimum weight has been dropped because the new transaxle is lighter. Plus some savings with the composite panels.